Why is Steinberg working so hard to kill off VST2 when it works so well?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

VST3 Wrapper
vst3wrapper.jpg
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

I understand the resistance to anything new. It is normal for all of us. But, this is software. Very few things last for more than 5 years. New tools come along and replace the old ones. You have to keep learning new things to survive. In software, change is the name of the game. Get with the program or get left behind. VST3 is our new thing. Its time to embrace it.

:i agree. VST3 is over 10 years old, and a massive failure Time to let go of the past and embrace LV2. Resistance is healthy when change comes along, to be expected even, but eventually we all will use an open standard. It's the future.

Sweet child in time...

Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

bibz1st wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 am Is it me or does the Danish socket look a little surprised
I LOL'd. :D

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:33 am
bibz1st wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 am Is it me or does the Danish socket look a little surprised
I LOL'd. :D
I've always thought that American outlets look like 8-bit game characters' faces.
Sweet child in time...

Vertion wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:09 am :i agree. VST3 is over 10 years old, and a massive failure Time to let go of the past and embrace LV2. Resistance is healthy when change comes along, to be expected even, but eventually we all will use an open standard. It's the future.
:tu: This but unironically

Vertion wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:09 am :i agree. VST3 is over 10 years old, and a massive failure Time to let go of the past and embrace LV2. Resistance is healthy when change comes along, to be expected even, but eventually we all will use an open standard. It's the future.
LV2 is over 10 years old too. Is it also a massive failure?

Vokbuz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:31 pm LV2 is over 10 years old too. Is it also a massive failure?
Yep.

So pethaps the proper advice should be, keep what works, VST2 works.

Anyone can say, let go of working X of the past, and embrace the future crappy Y. With a few pokes at the ego in the mix, " don't be scared, accept Y, let go of X", or "time to man up and pick Y".

Just follow the formula, X Is bad, Y is good, and if you are good, smart, independant, progressive and strong you will pick Y, otherwise you stink.Let go of X, embrace Y.

It's all nonsense, what works works, let it remain as such.

Regardless, no rhetoric will draw attention away from Steinberg's aggressive legal actions and posturing to control this market and everyone in it. VST2 is an interface, not a licensed software product, and their actions are vile.

:D
Vokbuz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 am
aciddose wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:57 am wrappers wrapping wrappers
"Никогда такого не было и вот опять" (c)

Oh, come on. Most VST2 implementations already uses C to <your favourite language> wrappers. VST2 SDK has C to C++ wrapper. If we put Symbiosis on top of it, here you have "wrappers wrapping wrappers". There is also C to C++ wrapper for AU.
"Опять двадцатьпять" :D
By the way, a pretty good, however having bugs, VST2 wrapper for Delphi/FPC is known as the Delphi ASIO & VST Package, and its advanced clone
You can of course tinker with creating a wrapper VST3 for Delphi/FPC yourself, but it will take a lot of useful time that will not be paid in any way. So for now, let it remain as it is. VST2 plug-ins created on Object Pascal with assembler inserts that implement DSP are not worse than those written in C++ and sometimes even faster, since they use SIMD. Not to mention the fact that the GUI in Delphi has always been more advanced (VCL/FMX GUI frameworks) than what is being done in C++. :wink:

P.S. FL Studio, for example, is compiled into Delphi, quite nimble and has a beautiful GUI, although I am not a fan of this DAW.

Yes there are actually numerous VST2 compatible wrappers with minimal issues. Some of them don't contain accurate documentation because the VSTSDK also didn't, so people don't know that there are two host reserved pointers in the struct and two plug-in reserved pointers.

VST2 has some major flaws like a lack of string buffer length passed with string functions (can be fixed with simple can_do("string length") and passing in the intptr parameter!) but mostly it represents albeit "rough" the basic common ground any audio plug-in needs.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:08 am VST2 has some major flaws like a lack of string buffer length passed with string functions (can be fixed with simple can_do("string length") and passing in the intptr parameter!) but mostly it represents albeit "rough" the basic common ground any audio plug-in needs.
Yes. VST2 is brilliant that way, it can be expanded through canDo, vendorSpecific calls, and new opcodes. All the promised technical advancements of the new version could have been done with these and proper documentation.

Big Tick wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 pm Yes. VST2 is brilliant that way, it can be expanded through canDo, vendorSpecific calls, and new opcodes.
I always have enough standard options in VST2. The only thing that had to be resorted to was storing the information in the host using chunks.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”