VST2 shows up when DAW is scanning but not in FX list

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What does it mean if my VST2 plugin shows up when the DAW is scanning but then does NOT appear in the FX menu afterwards?

The VST3 version of the plug built from the same project DOES work in the same DAW, so I don't believe it's a plugin ID conflict.

1) I have checked the DAW's vst scan log and it indicates the plugin loaded without error - but yet it doesn't show up in the FX menu

2) I have tried running the debugger on the VST2 but it's not capturing any errors, probably because it never gets to any of the breakpoints

How do I debug this if the plugin doesn't even launch?

OK, update on this - the plugin only does this is SOME DAWs - in other DAWs it loads and works perfectly.

Anyone who's experienced this, how to track this down? How to debug a plug when you can't launch it from the host?

Maybe "some DAWs" notice that you have versions of the same plugin using different APIs and just present the user with one to avoid duplicates?

mystran wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:32 pm Maybe "some DAWs" notice that you have versions of the same plugin using different APIs and just present the user with one to avoid duplicates?
Yes, it turned out to be the DAW - not the plugin. Somehow the plugin was marked in the DAW as "disabled". I re-enabled it and - voila - it works. :dog:

So that brings up a new question - when you run across a problem where a plugin doesn't work in one DAW - but it works in other DAWs - how do you go about troubleshooting that?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”