Anyone wants some basic JUCE video tutorials by me?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just checking if anyone would like to see some basic tutorial videos on how to start with JUCE. Maybe I could even do some C++ tutorials too. I just need some ideas on what to talk about. :cool:

Cheers, WilliamK

A good idea but I think The Audio Programmer may have beaten you to it. :)

quikquak wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:04 pm A good idea but I think The Audio Programmer may have beaten you to it. :)
Ooh! Thanks for the tip! I just subscribed.

William- I say the more the merrier! Anything you’d care to share would be most appreciated. I would suggest sitting down and working out a comprehensive outline of topics before you get started, rather than a more impromptu, off the cuff sort of approach.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Personally I find tutorial videos a bit irritating - it's hard to skip forward and back to the interesting bits; you can't copy and paste code samples; you need to be in a situation where you can listen to the audio to watch them. I much prefer a good blog article with downloadable code samples.

( ..but I'm not really looking to learn JUCE right now, so ignore me...)

Well, I think you can find things that are more interesting than JUCE to write about. It's not too difficult to figure out how to use well written class libraries, especially after being mentally tortured by the open source community for about a decade.
~stratum~

I found JUCE much easier second time around, it just seemed far too overly complex first time, what with learning to use the editor, and everything associated with it. Now I understand why they using the “Projucer”, and the only reason I started using it again was that YouTuber made it seem so much easier to start a project. So I say, do it, man. But please fill it with useful information, rather than a whole bunch of “errr,” “umms,” and “oookays” 🙂

Fill in the gaps where the JUCE online tutorials are lacking. I followed their tutorials mostly for audio plugins, the missing holes I can think of right now are:

1. Displaying images, i..e. using SVG images for custom knobs / dials. I got basic SVG to work as a logo, but can't rotate it. Yet to attempt SVG for rotating slider.

2. License key management, JUCE tutorial only shows RSA pub/private key stuff. Need something more useful in the real world.

3. It took me ages to figure out how to use buffer.getWritePointer() and add the second for loop. Simple now, but tutorials and auto generated stub code were lacking.

for (int channel = 0; channel < totalNumInputChannels; ++channel)
{
auto* channelData = buffer.getWritePointer (channel);
const int numSamples = buffer.getNumSamples();

for (int i = 0; i < numSamples; ++i)
{
channelData = channelData * myGainParam; // Do processing here.
}
}

4. Getting the automated white-box cases framework to work with my code, took a few hours and some ugly hacks. Maybe best to use a non-JUCE testing framework, with better UI/report, that isn't so hard to get working.

5. Getting params to save settings when reopen the GUI/editor was painful.

6. Still not sure how to save and manage basic VST presets. Sure I'll figure it out with some messing around. Tutorial would be nice.

7. Logging debug messages to a file, so beta testers can send me logs. After 2-3 hours of trying and getting nowhere I moved on to more important dev DSP coding.

8. Some of the Projucer features are a bit of a mystery: live build, adding SVG images as binary or not.

9. How to get a look ahead buffer?

You should check out the Tracktion Presents program they're offering all that and more
giantelk wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:05 am Fill in the gaps where the JUCE online tutorials are lacking. I followed their tutorials mostly for audio plugins, the missing holes I can think of right now are:

1. Displaying images, i..e. using SVG images for custom knobs / dials. I got basic SVG to work as a logo, but can't rotate it. Yet to attempt SVG for rotating slider.

2. License key management, JUCE tutorial only shows RSA pub/private key stuff. Need something more useful in the real world.

3. It took me ages to figure out how to use buffer.getWritePointer() and add the second for loop. Simple now, but tutorials and auto generated stub code were lacking.

for (int channel = 0; channel < totalNumInputChannels; ++channel)
{
auto* channelData = buffer.getWritePointer (channel);
const int numSamples = buffer.getNumSamples();

for (int i = 0; i < numSamples; ++i)
{
channelData = channelData * myGainParam; // Do processing here.
}
}

4. Getting the automated white-box cases framework to work with my code, took a few hours and some ugly hacks. Maybe best to use a non-JUCE testing framework, with better UI/report, that isn't so hard to get working.

5. Getting params to save settings when reopen the GUI/editor was painful.

6. Still not sure how to save and manage basic VST presets. Sure I'll figure it out with some messing around. Tutorial would be nice.

7. Logging debug messages to a file, so beta testers can send me logs. After 2-3 hours of trying and getting nowhere I moved on to more important dev DSP coding.

8. Some of the Projucer features are a bit of a mystery: live build, adding SVG images as binary or not.

9. How to get a look ahead buffer?

Topiness wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 pm Personally I find tutorial videos a bit irritating - it's hard to skip forward and back to the interesting bits; you can't copy and paste code samples; you need to be in a situation where you can listen to the audio to watch them. I much prefer a good blog article with downloadable code samples.
It depends, in general I agree however since JUCE involves both graphics and audio, I imagine great tutorial videos could be made about it. I certainly wouldn't mind to see more :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

I looked at JUCE once, but didn't quite know where to start. Any tutorials would be greatly appreciated :)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

yesss, i have zero codeing experience so any experienced dsp tuts would be awesome.a basic sampler would be great "calls & functions"🤨 for ui objects, recieving midi.Max i really enjoy, connecting nodes etc.But having no bg in codeing a lot of videos are far beyond what some call basics.

I'd be interested. I agree, the more the merrier.

There are a couple of others besides The Audio Programmer:

The Hack Audio Juce Tutorial
https://www.hackaudio.com/juce-tutorial ... 13359-764f

Kadenze Intro to Audio Plugin Development course
https://www.kadenze.com/courses/intro-t ... pment/info

I say go for it! The AudioProgrammer ones are not bad but they are laborious to watch because you have sit there patiently watching him type stuff out while he speaks what he is typing. So its something, but I think there is plenty of room to do more stuff cover more topics, perhaps do it in an easier to watch format. His are rather basic and kind of into nitty gritty topics that frankly I can find out easier by searching the docs. I also don't like sitting there waiting for him to type out stuff...that was super trying on my patience and it became easy for my mind to wander while he is doing that every time.

Id love to see covered some higher level strategies for structuring apps and plugins the JUCE way. How the various classes relate to each other and how to architect a program or plugin to work with JUCE's framework. The new Tracktion API is also interesting and very little information about it, a bit overwhelming to peruse that source and see clearly there is quite obviously a lot of useful stuff in there, but will take a lot of time to try to grok it all and understand how everything relates to everything else in there and see what can be re-used for other purposes.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Personally I would be primarily interested in tutorials that utilize the new SOUL language rather than plain C++. One of The Audio Programmer's latest episodes was a great SOUL based JUCE tutorial with the JUCE guys sitting in - this is the kind of material I'd love to see more.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”