Piracy In Brazil

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm fully aware that I'm about to open a can of worms, but I can't take this anymore. First, understand that it isn't MY stuff been pirated, but mostly from large companies such as Waves, Apple, NI and many others. In Brazil (where I live) we have this BIG site that sells anything in the same way eBay works, the site is MercadoLivre, which means FreeMarket. The problem is that people are using it to sell all sorts of pirated material, specially audio programs from companies above. I tried to click on some of those sellers and tell ML that those are pirated copies and they said IT IS OK. :-o what???!!! something must be done, but ML has no phone number to call, and no way to contact. Hummm... I guess a big class action could be done against such large company, but that would involve the companies listed above to care about this... I bet some of small devs stuff are on those big packages of plugins, but is not listed in the public lists...

Anyway, is there anything I could do to help those companies out?

And be nice on the comments here, I'm trying to do a GOOD thing, please, don't shoot the messenger...

Cheers, WilliamK

If Waves, Apple and NI do not care about Brazil, they probably have a valid reason to do so, and you should not be bothering either.
Last edited by stratum on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~stratum~

Maybe you are right, it just nags me to see all this ilegal activity in such big site and see that the site don't care a single bit. :shrug: I guess I will just shut up...

WilliamK wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 pm Maybe you are right, it just nags me to see all this ilegal activity in such big site and see that the site don't care a single bit. :shrug: I guess I will just shut up...
What percentage of your software is being sold in Brazil and if piracy did not exist, would you be selling more? My impression is that software targeted to end users does not really have many customers in developing countries.
~stratum~

You didn't get the point, I don't care about my software, as so far I only found those other companies software. The thing is that I don't like what's going on.

I totally get what you're saying. It's the fact that they get away with it and it sends a message to everyone that it's ok to do this. You would think that in the year 2018 that there would be a way to electronically monitor all of this easily and shut them down, but this has to come from the people who run the site. They are the ones that are giving the marauders the vehicle to do illegal activities. I have to say though, KVR is one of the few that put's their heart and soul into protecting this institution for years and years. It's a safe haven if you will. That's probably why I still love it here after all these years now that I think about it. Thank you KVR for that. Apparently, not many others on the net give a shit about anything anymore, and immorality has become accepted as a way of life. It's getting worse and worse each year because the up and comings see this, and know they can get away with it and will continue to do as their forefathers have taught them. It's damn sad.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Here is why:
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from ... D&view=10Y

and this will not be changing anytime soon, so basically it's a waste of time to even think about the problem.
~stratum~

That company is registered is the US and listed on the NASDAQ, so some US rules apply. So would probably be easier to find the US regulator responsible and go via that route. US regulators love issueing fines, and the company will burn a pirated reseller way before they take a hit themselves.

Are you sure? Last I heard they are from Argentina. Mercadolibre

.com.br

Wow, very good to know, thanks. Time to email some companies with this info in hand... :hihi:

WilliamK wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:02 pm Wow, very good to know, thanks. Time to email some companies with this info in hand... :hihi:
Good to know there is still some honest and good people on the internet, may the gods of code bless you.

stratum wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm Here is why:

and this will not be changing anytime soon, so basically it's a waste of time to even think about the problem.
Sorry, but I totally fail to see what currency exchange fluctuations have to do with it. Can you explain in laymen terms plz?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 pm
stratum wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm Here is why:

Sorry, but I totally fail to see what currency exchange fluctuations have to do with it. Can you explain in laymen terms plz?
It's called exporting inflation. That eventually causes stagflation and makes worlds developing countries poorer. Basically all those QE's are irresponsible.
~stratum~

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”