First steps on Vectorizing Audio Plugins: which Instruction Set do you use in 2018?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see now what you are trying to suggest, I think: if you limit to a non-recent instructions set library, its probably they are quite stable (since its more tested).
Using IPP (which will use latest optimization sets, thus more recent = less stable) might introduce more problems (being more young) :wink:.

Let say I'll fit with a non-recent simd extension wrapper library (SSE2 for example, which I hope is pretty stable in the 2018), which library do you suggest?

I'll like to see the differences in performances, between them.
For example, I've tried some IPP functions, and they run very faster than MKL: IPP seems a beast!!!

All software contains bugs, IPP is fine and you can avoid the dispatcher. That's as good as it gets in the real world:)
~stratum~

stratum wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:23 pm All software contains bugs, IPP is fine and you can avoid the dispatcher. That's as good as it gets in the real world:)
But if you avoid the dispatcher (i.e. select automatically the better optimization function/simd set for the current CPU), which SIMD do you select to use in your plugins? Just Curious :D AVX? SSE2?

Nowhk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:18 am But if you avoid the dispatcher (i.e. select automatically the better optimization function/simd set for the current CPU), which SIMD do you select to use in your plugins? Just Curious :D AVX? SSE2?
I don't write any plugins. When you do not have end users as customers potential dispatcher bugs do not matter at all so I just call ippInit and forget about potential IPP bugs as we always have more problems to due some other thing - like some threading error that cannot be easily tested or a supposedly standards-compiant hardware only the customer has and we do not. An analogy in the plugins market would be a DAW that only a few customers have and you do not.
~stratum~

stratum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 am I don't write any plugins.
Ahhh, ok. I was thinking that since we are within a DSP/Plug-in Development forum :D
stratum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 amI just call ippInit
Why do you call it manually? It should be called automatically by default once run the included ipp.h...

hhh, ok. I was thinking that since we are within a DSP/Plug-in Development forum :D
I used to be a Music-DSP hobbist. In fact I don't know why I'm still here while the electric guitars rust somewhere in the room without getting touched once a week :lol:
Why do you call it manually? It should be called automatically by default once run the included ipp.h...
If you do not call it manually one of the following will occur: (1) Either it is automatically called and you will have a race condition at that point, (2) dispatcher is not initialized at all and you'll be running some suboptimal code. Which one occurs, I do not know.
~stratum~

stratum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 am I used to be a Music-DSP hobbist. In fact I don't know why I'm still here while the electric guitars rust somewhere in the room without getting touched once a week :lol:
:D Hope that if you have a family, you take care.
stratum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 am If you do not call it manually one of the following will occur: (1) Either it is automatically called and you will have a race condition at that point, (2) dispatcher is not initialized at all and you'll be running some suboptimal code. Which one occurs, I do not know.
It seems that since version 9.0 (i.e. ~2015) ippInit is called automatically:

ippInit: Automatically initializes the static or dynamic library to that which is most appropriate for the runtime processor.

Not sure how a race conditions could create problem for IPP in the context of a plugin.
From specs: You can not use any other Intel IPP function while the function ippInit continues execution.

So I believe no one IPP functions overload will be chosed until the ippInit has detected the CPU.

ippInit: Automatically initializes the static or dynamic library to that which is most appropriate for the runtime processor.
That sentence doesn't mean that ippInit is called automatically. It only means you do not have to know that you need to call ippStaticInit for the static library version anymore.
Not sure how a race conditions could create problem for IPP in the context of a plugin.
From specs: You can not use any other Intel IPP function while the function ippInit continues execution.
This particular sentence mean they explicitly acknowledge the possibility of a race condition even when ippInit is called manually, so be careful about the point you call it.
~stratum~

stratum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:46 amThat sentence doesn't mean that ippInit is called automatically.
Does this? But since Intel IPP 9.0, the ipp*Init*() functions are not necessary to enable the dispatcher. Any first call Intel IPP function is able to detect the processor type and set the dispatcher to use the processor-specific code.

Nowhk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:01 am
stratum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:46 amThat sentence doesn't mean that ippInit is called automatically.
Does this? But since Intel IPP 9.0, the ipp*Init*() functions are not necessary to enable the dispatcher. Any first call Intel IPP function is able to detect the processor type and set the dispatcher to use the processor-specific code.
Not useful without also stating that this is also being done in a thread safe manner.
Do they also say that this automatic initialization is thread safe?
~stratum~

stratum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:02 am Not useful without also stating that this is also being done in a thread safe manner.
Do they also say that this automatic initialization is thread safe?
I don't think CPU will change during the process :D
So any call to ippInit should end up with the same result (i.e. the processor code). Even in multi-tasking/parallel accesses.

I don't see a case where this could introduce problem, except the situation where a overloaded function will process in-between these ippInit() calls.

But as specified above, this can't happens. What am I missing?

There is a thread safe way to implement this automatic initialization and there is a thread unsafe way to do it. Both are known by IPP authors I suppose, but I would nevertheless look for an explicit statement in the docs before assuming anything about it.

As for standalone apps, all you have to do is to call ippInit in main().
For plugins, it's a little more involved than that...
~stratum~

Urs wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:07 am We use vector intrinsics wrapped into objects. This usually gives us 2x the performance over scalar code. I more and more use templated functions so that scalar code and vectorized code are identical, and I just implement for either float or float vector. This makes the scalar code a tad slower (no conditional branches), but then it's only there for reference anyway.
Could you please explain this a bit further, Urs?

stratum wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:56 pmAs for standalone apps, all you have to do is to call ippInit in main().
For plugins, it's a little more involved than that...
Right, you never know how DAW/Host will handle your DLL plugins.
What do you suggest? RAII?

I'd use InterlockedIncrement causing a single call to ippInit on one path of an if clause, and wait initialization to complete on the other, but you can find something more elegant by searching for "thread safe lazy initialization".

Code: Select all

static ALIGNED DWORD s_init_cnt= 0;
static bool s_init_completed=false;

if (s_init_cnt == 0 && 1 == InterlockedIncrement(&s_init_cnt))
{
	ippInit();
        s_init_completed=true;
}
else if (!s_init_completed) 
{
       while(!s_init_completed) 
	   Sleep(1);
}

modern geeks version:

https://www.nosid.org/cxx11-threadsafe- ... ation.html

and do that somewhere other than audio signal processing code.
~stratum~

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”