Have access to marker with VST

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
Is it possible to have access to a time marker with VST2 or VST3?
Example:

* in SoundForge, you put a cue marker at t=23.231 seconds (WAV files can store metadata such as cue markers)
* you apply a VST to the whole WAV file

Can the VST know there is a marker at t=23.231?

In short, no. VST plugins were not designed for tasks like that.

With specific plugins running in specific hosts there may be some possibilities to do things like that, but for example for SoundForge you'd need to check if they have any support for 3rd parties to do those kinds of things. And even then, it might be something that VST plugins can not get access to.

Yes, but the mechanism of communicating the marker from daw to vst is called "parameter automation" ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

That's right BertKoor. Do you think there's a way in editors like SoundForge to turn a "cue marker" into a parameter automation change? (I even never saw how to do an automation in SoundForge; of course I know this in other programs/DAWs).

Do you think there's a way in editors like SoundForge to turn a "cue marker" into a parameter automation change?

It could be more insightful if you describe you final goal instead (otherwise the chances it's an XY-problem are very high).
Sound Forge has its own scripting facilities (so in a brute way one can always write a script that will apply a plugin with different settings to different regions - I've never tried something like that though) but this is most likely to be an overkill.

---
Btw., ("classic DAW-like") automation is available since SF v8 (but VSTs seems to be automatable only since v9) via the "Plugin-Chainer" (curiously I had no idea it's there until today). I.e. see the corresponding manuals.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”