Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT

esaruoho wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:19 pm
StudioDave wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:11 pm I'll assume issues should be reported on github.
Yeah, I think the most important thing is to be vocal on the GitHub and post issues and what you tried and whatever. Keep the discussion going. Someone might have a solution to some issue that someone is having, and all that.
Got it, no problem.
There's one more person I really want to contact, it was kmatheussen.. he did something related to linux to Surge, but while he worked on something more in his own fork, it wasn't merged in, or something..
Yes, that's Kjetil, he's a great guy, we met at a couple conferences years ago. I used his suggested changes but they didn't get me far enough to actually load the plugin. He may have updated his repo, I'll have to check.

Best,

dp

All very well releasing this free but the original installers have been taken down. Would have been nice to have had some warning before that happened so people could back them up. Now I can't reinstall the old Mac version to get back the aupresets, which I had removed from my system as it was too buggy.

Anyone got the factory aupresets?

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm Anyone got the factory aupresets?
are they not these? (only asking cos i simply don't know)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

esaruoho wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 pm
Depends, do they have an .aupreset extension or .fxp?

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:56 pm
esaruoho wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 pm
Depends, do they have an .aupreset extension or .fxp?

Ahh I get it. The patches are not packaged inside the .component and need to be copied to a specific library folder. i guess it's best not to use a .component only sending, and wait for a .pkg that installs the preset patches.
then the effect chains + preset patches will load accurately.

If you have them I can see if they work placed in the default MacOS location for presets? It's just I don't have the original Mac installer anymore so no longer have them.

OK one mystery solved - I managed to find the old AU demo using Waybackmachine

https://web.archive.org/web/20160322034 ... 20Demo.dmg

looking at this it seems there never were aupresets, both the VST and AU versions use the same preset location and presets are in .fxp format (which I still have since my 32 VST2 version sees them fine). So why is the updated AU not seeing those?

The location is ~/Library/Application Support/Surge
and the files need to be copied there from the github repo folder resources/data.

After that, the patches will load, the top-left-corner waveform will display.. and chain-fx can be created.
but the bottom center LFO-Waveform will not display, unfortunately. That still needs to be fixed.

Thanks - that's a different location to the one the Mac component was meant to use (going by where the demo installer tells you to put them), and also to the one the VST uses (which is /Library/Application Support/Vember Audio/SURGE)

but somehow it works :)

And yes, I can see the LFO is not displaying its waveform, but also the wavetable OSC doesn't show the dropdown list of wavetables, they are there because I can scroll them using the arrows but the dropdown is faster

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:06 am And yes, I can see the LFO is not displaying its waveform, but also the wavetable OSC doesn't show the dropdown list of wavetables, they are there because I can scroll them using the arrows but the dropdown is faster
We're waiting for EDIT: no more, it's been merged in Claes / kurasu to merge in a fix that fixes the rightmousebutton->dropdown menu feature bug. it's here (took a snippet of code from baconpaul and added it into a larger (mine) PR): https://github.com/kurasu/surge/pull/68 .. here's to hoping that next week either kurasu or abique will merge it in. getting that fix in (and maybe even the audiounit PR which is huge ( https://github.com/kurasu/surge/pull/69 )

basically hoping that 68,69,70 will be merged in come next week, so the repo can progress.

EDIT: Nevermind, they have been merged in and stuff is going in quick
Last edited by esaruoho on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I just got a Mac VST from here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=301957&start=3630
z.primes version is MPE compatible. Is that also true for the other versions? It works like a charm in Bitwig and sounds fantastic...
It seems he hasn't released this officially yet...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:06 pm I just got a Mac VST from here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=301957&start=3630
z.primes version is MPE compatible. Is that also true for the other versions? It works like a charm in Bitwig and sounds fantastic...
It seems he hasn't released this officially yet...
it's weird that this guy is sharing it without pointing out that the waveform won't display, wavetable loading + preset loading + effect chain creation doesn't work without having copied the resources/data -folder to ~/Library/Application Support/Surge

he is, basically, spreading a .vst and a .component that won't work properly.

Is there someone working on the Windows build? It works perfectly fine (the building process) on VS2017 Community, Windows 10 x64, VST3 x64.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”