Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

There is enough people and companies to just decide to make a new open standard. I am a practical open source person and I always prefer open source cross platform programs but I will also use closed source if it is the right tool for the job without a working open source solution. Still don't know why a community member, say MIDI Manufacturers Association, decided it wanted to make a plugin standard that worked with keyboards, sound boards and computers and just opened it up.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

mtelesha wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm Still don't know why a community member, say MIDI Manufacturers Association, decided it wanted to make a plugin standard.
They did. It was called GMPI (General Musical Plugin Interface).

Jeff McClintock wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:11 pm
mtelesha wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 pm Still don't know why a community member, say MIDI Manufacturers Association, decided it wanted to make a plugin standard.
They did. It was called GMPI (General Musical Plugin Interface).
Yes and did nothing with it since what 2002? I mean now some modern standard.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Yes and did nothing with it since what 2002?

1. Why bother if nobody's going to use it anyway.
2. Things did not changed that much since then (e.g. VST2 is of 1999, and VST3 is of 2008 btw.).
3. You did not read the GMPI spec., did you? ;)

I mean now some modern standard.

That's one of the key problems: different people (and manufactures) have very different (often directly opposite) visions of what that "modern" should actually mean there.
(E.g. try to follow http://www.freelists.org/archives/gmpi/ - that was a disaster).

So it has been one year since the last message in this thread.
Has there been any progress or potential solution?...

There are still the same two options:

1) Use VST3 and/or any other closed proprietary plugin format, lean back and silently swallow everything that the current owners of the APIs feed to you. If they don't like to feed you anymore then contact your lawyer or move on to the next closed proprietary format. Rinse and repeat.

2) Select an open standard that YOU feel most comfortable with, join the development and try to push it in the right direction. This is hard and cumbersome so most people choose the first option even though they lose every right to complain about the situation by doing so.

I agree with you, but this is beyond the point of my question here.
Truth is many users still need VST2 plugins, because that is what their DAW uses. This is definitely not there fault and they should not have to buy another DAW (planned obsolescence).
New developers cannot offer VST2 plugin, and this is not their fault either and this creates a distortion on the market.
We know how's decision it is, but apparently there is nothing to do about it either, and the vast majority of the industry does not care because, hey, they do have a licence!

So is there a short term realistic solution beside the classic "learn to let go" here?

I feel for you, I think we need a support group..

fuo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:48 pm I agree with you, but this is beyond the point of my question here.
Truth is many users still need VST2 plugins, because that is what their DAW uses. This is definitely not there fault and they should not have to buy another DAW (planned obsolescence).
Why should they buy another DAW? Which of the major DAWs doesn't support VST3? The last one I thought of was Ableton and they've added it. Btw there are plugins available as VST2 like BlueCatAudio Patchwork which are able to host VST3 plugins. So even if there is a host without VST3 support, you can easily get around it and load newer plugins.

What else are you planning to do? Creating your own standard which then is just another standard as discussed many times in here? Or are you trying to still develop for VST2 without a proper license? Or are you trying to take legal actions? What's the plan? :wink:
Last edited by Soundplex on Wed May 13, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I wonder if the real reason is to stop new VST(2) developers or to stop new DAW developers (such as myself)
Tyrone Howe
www.tyronehowe.com

tyronehowe wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:43 pm I wonder if the real reason is to stop new VST(2) developers or to stop new DAW developers (such as myself)
Why should the lack of VST2 stop you from doing anything?

Because there are VSTs available that are only VST2.
Tyrone Howe
www.tyronehowe.com

Major devs have VST3 versions of their products. And then there are also wrapper plugins which can host other plugin types. It's still easy to use VST2 in non VST2 DAWs or VST3 in non VST3 DAWs.

Spectrasonics is still VST2 only. I consider them one of the most major devs.

I didn't know about the wrapper plugins - presumably it's something I'd have to licence. But wrappers inevitably lead to less efficient run time.
Tyrone Howe
www.tyronehowe.com

Say after 10 years from now everyone eventually learned how to, and successfully switched to VST3. Most old code has been ported and dead projects just too old to be of use. And almost everyone is happy.

What prevents Steinberg from doing the same thing again (i.e killing VST 3) when VST 4 comes in? Is there is any commitment that VST3 code will work in VST4?

Thats the most thing that concerns me if I want to decide to move to VST3. I'd rather pay for something like Juce or so and code in that platform being at least entitled to some sort of guarantee (assuming such thing exists).

The whole thing seams to me like an unintentional implicit push for people to use Juce. They are the practical beneficiary of all this as far as I can see it.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”