Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

Indeed, Steinberg should know what a mess they are doing...

NAMM is too far away for me. I can try talking with Steinberg if I go to Musikmesse this year.

One thing that they don't understand is that if the point is to get rid of VST2 altogether, that won't work. One word: piracy. :-( Or UNDERGROUND I should say. There will always be that site that has all files there to download and that they can't touch, since its based on China, Russia or Brazil. :hihi:

WilliamK the medication please :hihi:

"I kill you..." :lol: ok, I will calm down... :hug:

:lol: :hug:

It does not happen very often that a company has so much power and uses it to it's worst. We need open standards. These VST2 deprecation regulations are a joke. I have not seen such a foolish licensing anywhere else ... seriously. ... A signed permission on >>paper<<! Like we are living in medieval times.

Sealed in blood...

alsms wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 pm It does not happen very often that a company has so much power and uses it to it's worst. We need open standards. These VST2 deprecation regulations are a joke. I have not seen such a foolish licensing anywhere else ... seriously. ... A signed permission on >>paper<<! Like we are living in medieval times.
How do you sign a contract? I signed this one using a mouse and PDF editor like all my other contracts.

Steinberg: Let's force everybody to upgrade or get their hands on illegal software. :clap: They should change their motto to "making people happy" :roll:

I've started to develop a plugin in august 2018.
I spent so much time & effort into it, and now, when I'm almost ready to release it (for free) I discover that since oct 18, we can't get VST2 license anymore... What a shame for new developpers who started developing plugins intended to be free but had not signed the license before this due date.

Some major hosts like Ableton don't even support VST3 plugins yet. Maybe they did that to make them react..

I found this very interesting post on this github issue, about the topic :
g i t h u b.com/obiwanjacobi/vst.net/issues/11#issuecomment-455867795
I don't know what to think about it, I don't have enough knowledge in this field.

What to do now ? Of course I contacted Cabbage's dev team to implement VST3 export but this may take a while before it happens, and a while before Ableton for example support VST3...

I feel do discouraged now.. Do you guys here have any tips/helping advices ?

Is there a petition to sign somewhere to make things move (at least to try) ?

Thanks in advance,
Last edited by T0NIT0RMX on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
T0NIT0 RMX
https://t0nit0rmx.github.io/

Yes, there should be some petition.

T0NIT0RMX wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:34 pmthis may take a while before it happens, and a while before Ableton for example support VST3...
Then again

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/live-10 ... -upgrades/

Huh, that's big news. Assuming all users upgrade immediately (which is of course not the case), that might cut the population in half of users who can't use VST3 but can use VST3.

And thinking about it, this is the most successful result to date of Steinberg's action.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

Yes, they will upgrade, but there is some other DAW (not the big ones) that don't support it yet

I read a lot of things yesterday about the topic and found out that VeSTige could be the solution here, I found a JUCE fork where VST2 creation is possible through VeSTige !

bugs.d ebia n.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=913915

And here it explained how VeSTige was made, with no view of the original code, just based on visible outputs, and some DMCA takedown against VeSTige were disputed !
G i t .iem/zmoelnig/VeSTige

Of course because of the GPL license of it, it would be only for free Vst, but I think there is hope here, at least from free Vst !

What do you guys think about it ?

(PS : sorry for the links, I'm not allowed to post clickable links to these sites at the moment)
Regards,
T0NIT0 RMX
https://t0nit0rmx.github.io/

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”