Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

Vertion wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 am I just found out there is a powerful cutting-edge DAW made in a combined effort from Uhe, Cytomic, Synapse, FxPansion, Xfer, Cableguys, Tone2, QuikQuak, BlueCat, DiscoDsp. Costs 30 bucks, supports all their plugins. Only problem is, no VST support, instead a new advanced open plugin standard they created. Would you buy it?

I know I would. Tell me the idea didn't peak your interest when you read it. I just hope I wear brown pants the day this comes true.
The only way I see something like this working out is that it has to have a hands-free wrapper to automatically convert/map existing plugin code that uses VST2 and VST3 WITHOUT actually using VST code from Stienberg at all. And even then you may or may not need a good lawyer to clear out some issues.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

I think it would just be easier to form a consortium and come up with a new open standard that is not under the control of a single entity.

The consortium becomes the entity. It's a very difficult issue of course and it should come as little surprise that the most supported formats such as the topic of this thread are also the most flexible (no real rules or specifications) and least enforceable.

As soon as you move to a more strict format the number of plug-ins drops off, radically so. This is why my suggestions are for greater flexibility with potential for strict definitions rather than "simplification" as most other proposals include and unsurprisingly they are failures.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Hi Everyone

Well, I am stuck now.

I have been writing a DAW in my spare time for over two years. I always planned to support VST 2 and VST 3. The VST 2 development work is just about finished, the VST 3 work just starting.

Yes, I have downloaded the SDKs from Steinberg over the years. No, I stupidly didn’t apply for either a VST2 or VST3 licence.

I had some serious family issues last year which meant I was away from development for some months. Two days ago, I read about the October 2018 deadline on KVR for VST2 licenses. I am absolutely stunned.

As I understand it, I can no longer apply for a VST 2 licence which means I am dead in the water. Absolutely no one would be interested in a VST3 only DAW at the moment.

Does anyone have any advice please? The only thing I can see is giving up now. All those hundreds of hours of development wasted. It’s heart breaking.

Thanks
Tyrone Howe
www.tyronehowe.com

This thread is the consortium for the KVR open plugin standard.

Code: Select all

// interface abstraction

//handshake
PluginInfo function Greetings (DawInfo _dawInfo)

// init
Int64 function GetThisPartyStarted ()

//process sample
Int64 function EatASample (SampleMidiParameterGUiInfo _sampleMidiParameterGUiInfo)

// command plugin, or daw in callback
CommandInfo Bossy (CommandInfo _commandInfo)

// close up shop
Int64 function Goodnight ()

// SampleMidiParameterGUiInfo 
//includes sample, sample block,
 //midi per sample, parameter per sample, 
// gui inputs per sample
Can you improve on this?
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

tyronehowe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 pm Well, I am stuck now.
Oh man- that's grim.
1. Write to Steinberg and see if they will give u an exception
2. Partner with someone who has the license. I have it, but u don't know me and it's a complication u may not want.

sample accurate contentment summer
linear reasoning if called

tyronehowe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 pm Hi Everyone

Well, I am stuck now.

I have been writing a DAW in my spare time for over two years. I always planned to support VST 2 and VST 3. The VST 2 development work is just about finished, the VST 3 work just starting.

Yes, I have downloaded the SDKs from Steinberg over the years. No, I stupidly didn’t apply for either a VST2 or VST3 licence.

I had some serious family issues last year which meant I was away from development for some months. Two days ago, I read about the October 2018 deadline on KVR for VST2 licenses. I am absolutely stunned.

As I understand it, I can no longer apply for a VST 2 licence which means I am dead in the water. Absolutely no one would be interested in a VST3 only DAW at the moment.

Does anyone have any advice please? The only thing I can see is giving up now. All those hundreds of hours of development wasted. It’s heart breaking.

Thanks
That sucks but you still might to be able to get lucky. Try sending Steinberg signed license agreements. I haven't heard any case of them denying it so far. They are probably having an internal "grace period". I was kind of in the same situation although not as late and I got mine. It was quite some delay until I got a reply though. The worst thing that can happen for you is get a no, then at least you tried.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

@nix808
@davidguda

Thanks for your replies.

I have emailed Steinberg and submitted the VST2 and VST3 licence documents.
Fingers crossed.
Tyrone Howe
www.tyronehowe.com

Looks like they have a extended grace period. In my opinion they shouldn't stop giving VST2 licenses. It sounds like shooting their own foot to me and forcing things is usually not the best strategy.

Yeah, it's not been subtle. I think they expected us ALL to leap on VST3 like it was the answer to everything missing in our lives. All 70,000 lines of answer.

Why fear them? Is not like they are going to sue small companies and specially single users... :shrug: Not to mention that they would have to setup companies on the countries that they want to sue users for. This is all stupid IMHO, they are doing something really stupid and we all know that. Is impressive on how they came up with this idea... I have done some stupid things myself, but I'm all alone and I'm responsible for everything. Now, they are a BIG company, how they come up with this licenses deals idea in the first place.....?! I guess people fear them for been BIG. I don't, they can eat my shorts... :-p

I didn't know there was an extended grace period. Do you know if that's official?

I intend (hope) to make a business out of my VST2 and VST3 usage - I don't want there to be any chance that I can be used later on.
Tyrone Howe
www.tyronehowe.com

It looks like there is, at least based on what some developers are experiencing.

Thanks - that's hopeful!

I sent off the forms last Thursday, so now just have to be patient :ud:
Tyrone Howe
www.tyronehowe.com

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”