Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

Thanks. I have to write to them again and ask what is going on. Exactly 2 months have just passed.

I wrote them an email asking about using VST2 and Blue Cat's PnS, explaining I paid good money to use it and sell VST2 plugins. I got back a picture of the entire Steinberg team giving me the bird.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:04 pm I wrote them an email asking about using VST2 and Blue Cat's PnS, explaining I paid good money to use it and sell VST2 plugins. I got back a picture of the entire Steinberg team giving me the bird.
Can't we see it ?!

:-o wait, what?!

Yup.
download.jpeg

[pissed off mode on]
So developers are supposed to license 20+ years old technology? Come on. You guys can't solve this problem and design a soulful universal sound language 4GL nonsense instead?
[/pissed off mode off]

Seriously. A task for supposed industry leaders.
~stratum~

This is what I wrote:

I own a copy of Blue Cat PlugNScript which exports a VST2, which I was told by the owner I can sell on my own website. I have already purchased the software from him more than a year ago. Do I need a VST2 license to sell this plugin? I already purchased a website and domain to sell synthesizers using only Blue Cat PlugNScript. I just received news about some kind of retraction from Steinberg. I have downloaded the VST SDK many times over the past decade. I've spent a lot of money and time on development and getting this up and running. What do I need to overcome this obstacle, if one exists?

Steinberg BS response:

Steinberg claims I can't copy the message because the response includes a 'confidential' legal warning at the bottom.

It isn't confidential. But the image I posted above about sums it up. Just another example of Steinberg's disposition. Why are you guys giving this company so much power??

Vertion wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:18 pmWhy are you guys giving this company so much power??
So you're only releasing AU versions then? :D What's BlueCatAudios statement to this problem? You're probably not the only one...

Soundplex wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:25 pm What's BlueCatAudios statement to this problem? You're probably not the only one...
Blue Cat said they'd eventually update it to VST3 without a timeframe.

Seriously, we need an open standard and a DAW flagship to drive it.

We have the best devs in the world here, if we work together make the best DAW, we can not only take back control of the market, but breathe new life into it.

It must hurt to receive a reply like that.

I'll add a little soap opera to help dramatize the case:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/hor-g%C3 ... l-man.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0DvfRRDYGo

(too bad, doesn't include the totally crappy(*) sound typical of its genre, but I don't want to hurt your ears anyway)

(*) synth vst's with microtuning and gliding weren't available back then, but they were trying nevertheless.
~stratum~

This message is confidential.
You will believe it so, and not copy it on any forum like KVR because everybody is scared of something happening.

And that's how it works! :hihi: :roll:
Lawyers rejoice and a merry Saturnalia for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swVqdbhfkkE

I've learnt a lot of things about plug-in formats APIs at Audio Developer Conference 18 this year :love:

Vertion wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:35 pm Blue Cat said they'd eventually update it to VST3 without a timeframe.
Here is the update! You can now export your plug-ins as VST2, VST3 or Audio Unit plug-ins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1hHvHHL0js

If you want to distribute your plug-ins in VST2 or VST3 format, you will indeed need the license agreement from Steinberg. There is no restriction on Audio Units though, as far as I know.

Do you need the vst 2 agreement if you develop for vst 3 and use Steinbergs own vst 2 wrapper?
Btw. I got it signed just in case without any plan to distribute vst 2s yet. Whoever had a plan a year ago and didn‘t sign it, just didn‘t do their home work. Not too much sympathy from my side...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:44 am Do you need the vst 2 agreement if you develop for vst 3 and use Steinbergs own vst 2 wrapper?
I believe so. The problem is not the code you are using but the license to distribute the software using the VST2 interface.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”