Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

That's cool David,
Too Legit To Quit
-hehe me too

davidguda wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 am I wonder if Steinberg support is completely swamped with license requests now. I sent my signed license over a month ago now, still no response more than the initial that they received it and have the support ticket open.
I sent them a recent copy of out VST 2.4 Agreement to verify we were indeed covered.. and they responded within 24 hours and emailed back a scanned copy of our agreement they have on file which we'd mailed to them in 2006.

Rail

So what's the score with plugins that have an 'export to VST' function like BlueCat PlugNScript? If the person doing the export doesn't have a VST license are they covered if the developer of the original plugin does?

If you sell or distribute a plug-in which uses the VST tech. you need to include their "Licensed by..." text in your plug-in's about box and use their logos on your website and in your manual... and you'd need a license... it doesn't matter how the DLL was built.

Rail

How hard would it be making a VST2 to VST3 DLL wrapper using JUCE?

Wouldn't VST3 -> VST2 be more interesting? No host that supports VST3 does not support VST2 (I think).
David Guda gudaaudio.com

I'm asking because I have several 32-bit VST2 DLLs that would benefit from a 64-bit VST3 wrapper and some insight on the efforts required would be appreciated :)
Last edited by discoDSP on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum Samples wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:42 pm If you sell or distribute a plug-in which uses the VST tech. you need to include their "Licensed by..." text in your plug-in's about box and use their logos on your website and in your manual... and you'd need a license... it doesn't matter how the DLL was built.

Rail
OK so basically no one can distribute new VST plugins made with PlugNScript now then (unless they already had a VST developer license)?

Technically, you couldn't ever distribute a VST without a signed agreement. In that sense, nothing has changed.

Dozius wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:04 pm Technically, you couldn't ever distribute a VST without a signed agreement. In that sense, nothing has changed.
Yeah but what has changed is you can't get that signed agreement anymore.

Dozius wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:04 pm Technically, you couldn't ever distribute a VST without a signed agreement. In that sense, nothing has changed.
Wasn't it that before this change you just had to agree to the license terms by clicking a tickbox on the Steinberg site and no actual 'signed' agreement was necessary?
I may remember wrongly though.

No_Use wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:32 pm
Wasn't it that before this change you just had to agree to the license terms by clicking a tickbox on the Steinberg site and no actual 'signed' agreement was necessary?
I may remember wrongly though.
I think that was very long time ago. Better getting a signed agreement to be on the safe side though :)

Unlike being an Apple or Microsoft developer, it doesn't cost anything!

davidguda wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 pm After over a month wait I finally got my license back, signed and ready! This is a good day! :)
Sorry, did you receive it by e-mail or snail mail? I've been waiting almost 2 months and still got no license. I even asked 2 times what's going on but nobody answered. Are they so busy?

e-mail.
I sent a couple of weeks later as snail mail as well (with both vst3 and vst2 license signed), still no response from that one.
So I got my VST2 license but not yet VST3.
I guess they are less picky with VST3 since they obviously want to promote that over VST2.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”