Anti-piracy services?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone use any of these anti-piracy services like Link Busters or Tracksaur?

link-busters.com
tracksaur.com

Any thoughts?

Dislike of anyone profiting from piracy, regardless on which side.

If you really must, save your money. Create Google Alerts for your cracked stuff, download and prepare a standard DMCA takedown notice, spend one or two hours a week sending that stuff out.

from tracksaur.com
Thanks to our advanced techniques and solutions we are able to find very well hidden links on a different websites, forums, search engines or blogs. We don't use automated system, people are working at our company what is more effective.
lol.. :dog:
So they have very advanced techniques and solutions to find well hidden links, but don't use it, becuase people that are working at their company are more effective? Looks like a real serious bizz.. not :lol:

Urs wrote:download and prepare a standard DMCA takedown notice, spend one or two hours a week sending that stuff out.
Is that effective of do you get a lot of people replying along the lines of "Pff whatever I don't care" or just ignoring it ?

You send it to the ISP that is hosting the page, not the admin of the page or uploader of the content. ISPs won't reply with "Pff whatever I don't care" .. that's what the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is about: force ISPs to provide contact address for abuse and to take down pages if they receive takedown letters.
There is no "pff i don't care", otherwise they get legal problems, DMCA is a law not something offered by nice ISPs but other don't care ;)

(if it is a little ISP with no business in the US, he might just shit on FBI and ignore your letter ofc, but at least it is out of google search then, because google cannot shit on FBI :D )

joshb wrote:Anyone use any of these anti-piracy services like Link Busters or Tracksaur?

link-busters.com

Any thoughts?
A number of high-profile plugin companies use them. However they may not be legally allowed to say much about their usage, or satisfaction thereof.
Checkout our VST3/VST2/AU/AAX/LV2:
Inner Pitch | Lens | Couture | Panagement | Graillon

mcbpete wrote:
Urs wrote:download and prepare a standard DMCA takedown notice, spend one or two hours a week sending that stuff out.
Is that effective of do you get a lot of people replying along the lines of "Pff whatever I don't care" or just ignoring it ?
We don't do it much. We have a different approach to things.

stay away from tracksaur.com

they blocked one of my download links and i did not get any notification, no message, nothing of them.
Great move tracksaur, this is exactly what nobody expects of a serious Company !

a viewer on my Youtube channel noticed that my download dont works anymore
so i re checked my links. Everything looked fine but then i found there a block by tracksaur.com

why? :dog:

i never had contact with tracksaur and my downloads are all free
this must be special food for companies like tracksaur.com

who tf did call you tracksaur?

I used to program that stuff. It's actually really simple. You can make something very similar to a str_replace or replace with reg expressions. You just based the rosetta algorithm on the mac address.

That way the customer when they get the code from your plugin gets a carefully and securely encoded version of the mac address (and not some fiendishly clever codex). And because the mac address is unique, that code will only work for the one plugin instance. Pretty simple. It just "seems" to be a code and not the mac addy.

Good luck.

We use Tracksaur since years, and so far, we only have very good experience with them.

@Island - maybe your download link was on a "classic file hoster" - through which it got deleted, instead using your own website ftp for downloads maybe?

In general (about the OP question "Any thoughts?") - it always depends, what you do/sell/want to protect(or reduce) piracy. With e.g. software-based products, it`s probably not that essential to have, compared to sound and sample packs. Simply because they can get spreaded easier... and on that topic, anti-piracy companies helping a lot to save much time (and they find more as you will find, if you search for yourself). Also the dmca messages/request to the filehosters etc take a lot of time. And well... report/submit request for e.b. 2000 links takes a *** of time, together with search, finding etc. As said depends on your content. If software or small store it wouldn`t be an effective option in terms of cost/time, but if you have +100 products etc, than yes, it safes a lot of time and get a ton of links cleaned.

kingozrecords wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:40 pm I used to program that stuff. It's actually really simple. You can make something very similar to a str_replace or replace with reg expressions. You just based the rosetta algorithm on the mac address.

That way the customer when they get the code from your plugin gets a carefully and securely encoded version of the mac address (and not some fiendishly clever codex). And because the mac address is unique, that code will only work for the one plugin instance. Pretty simple. It just "seems" to be a code and not the mac addy.

Good luck.
Mac addresses are not really unique though... they should be.
But its easy to change by user + some motherboard manufactors delivers drivers that gives the network adapter the same mac by default in some OS.. (not fun when you have a mid/large layer2 network btw :)..)

Yes, you're probably right. But, to make it easier; you could have a mac reset option for your customers. Automating reduces customer service. It's why I got out of IT programming. Way too much PR.
cnt wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:00 pm
kingozrecords wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:40 pm I used to program that stuff. It's actually really simple. You can make something very similar to a str_replace or replace with reg expressions. You just based the rosetta algorithm on the mac address.

Good luck.
Mac addresses are not really unique though... they should be.
But its easy to change by user + some motherboard manufactors delivers drivers that gives the network adapter the same mac by default in some OS.. (not fun when you have a mid/large layer2 network btw :)..)

Since when has Tracksaur actually become the Guardians of the Galaxy?

Seriously, Anti-Piracy is a good thing, I'm honoring that. Nah, more, I fully support it. You guys have a right to ensure your income, after all you've worked hard for it.

But attempting to criminalize an EU citizen for conducting a perfectly legal and legit second hand license sale - c'mon people, that's going too far. This bunch obviously either doesn't know or doesn't care about EU law ..
The work is done by qualified employees
Yeah, right.

nevermind

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”