Is anyone using Blue Cat's Plug'n Script ?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plug'n Script

Thank you for your understanding. The fix is ready and a new version of the plug-in should be made available in the next 24 hours. We apologize for the inconvenience!

I'm specifically talking about skinning though. There's very little detail on that and I suspect that more than a few users would like to create their own branded look and feel. I would suggest uploading at least one "generic" skin that looks quite a bit different to your skins site. There is nothing there right now, as I'm sure that you are aware.
We have indeed not provided sample skins yet as we believe there is already quite a lot to be done using generated GUIs or custom layouts, with very little effort. Also, you can overwrite the graphics in the generated plug-in if you want to use your own, before getting into specific GUI development (which is actually not a big deal).

Regarding skinning and KUIML, if you try to modify the existing skin it might be a bit difficult: as explained in the manual the skin in Plug'n Script is quite complex as it has to support any kind of script. Once your plug-in has been exported, you can instead write a stupid simple skin like for any of our plug-ins.

So tutorials and skins that exist for our other plug-ins are relevant and can be studied for your generated plug-in as well. There are also (simplistic) examples to get you started in the Getting Started section of the KUIML GUI description language documentation.

Also feel free to ask question on our forum - this will also help us find out the information we should add to our tutorials to make your GUI programming life easier :-).

Quick follow up for the Mac VSTs issue: We have just issued a maintenance update for Plug'n Script to fix this problem.

So Please download the latest version if you want to create independent VSTs for Mac. It is available from the same location as the original download (link received by email upon purchase - you may have to refresh the web page).

Blue Cat Audio wrote:Quick follow up for the Mac VSTs issue: We have just issued a maintenance update for Plug'n Script to fix this problem.

So Please download the latest version if you want to create independent VSTs for Mac. It is available from the same location as the original download (link received by email upon purchase - you may have to refresh the web page).
Is there a reason that the mac standalone app wasn't updated?

ghettosynth wrote:Is there a reason that the mac standalone app wasn't updated?
It should actually not have been listed there in the first place, as it is in beta stage for the moment (as you can see it is not officially listed on the plug-in page). You can however download the updated version (also for Windows) if you click on the "download next release preview" link on the download page.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Is there a reason that the mac standalone app wasn't updated?
It should actually not have been listed there in the first place, as it is in beta stage for the moment (as you can see it is not officially listed on the plug-in page). You can however download the updated version (also for Windows) if you click on the "download next release preview" link on the download page.
Cool, tnx.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Could it steal the crown from Synthedit?
We are not Synthedit experts, but I guess the approach here is quite different, as the core of the plug-in is script/code-oriented.
Needs lots of tutorials and code examples etc to get more people using this
Indeed. We'll keep working on this. There is already a pretty large set of examples with the built-in audio & MIDI scripts and the contributions from other developers, including native code.
A SynthEdit SDK3(c++) user like myself would probably understand it a bit better or a JSFX user. If you are testing out a simple/single DSP algorithm, this would probably be a great way to dip your toes in the water though, it has a very nice and simple layout/API. The "No CPU load on idle" is a nice touch, SynthEdit calls this 'sleep' mode, but it isn't automatic - stuff like reverbs/delay needs special cases.

As for extra useful examples -> something like paged-panels (for multi-effects), having 2 effects on one page->change routing->switch one off via GUI, calling compiled binaries etc. More c++ orientated examples like new/delete etc etc.

P.S. SE SDK3 is a bit different though, full-on c++, high level constructor called open(to do once-off stuff like build tables, CPU intrinsic support detection etc.). 'Modules' communicate with one another through isStreaming() messages, which makes it very easy to have different code-paths depending on on user/other input, so that way you only use the CPU you need.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:A quick follow up on this: with Plug'n Script V3 you can now export independent VST plug-ins.
That's really nice. Well done Blue Cat :hyper:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

$79 dollars is unbeatable, it's the cost of thousands of other plugins. Very very powerful!!!

Blue Cat is my software hero! Master coder!
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Hi there,

It took a bit more time than expected, but Blue Cat's Plug'n Script 3.1 is finally here: now officially avalailable a standalone application, and with VST3 and Audio Unit export and a coupl eof other improvements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1hHvHHL0js

What's New:
- Now available as a standalone application.
- Export plug-in in VST3 and Audio Unit plug-in formats.
- Faster graphical user interface loading.
- New version of the Angelscript engine (2.32) with improved performance and new add-ons (datetime, filesystem).
- Last loaded preset is now remembered in session and displayed in the presets menu.
- Plug-in state can now be reverted to the last loaded preset.
- Improved scalable graphics for icons and buttons.
- Dropped support for legacy RTAS and DirectX plug-ins formats.

Enjoy!

Thank you for the update, much needed. We needed that VST3 update. Standalone version is a great idea too. Will there be a standalone export?
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

That's indeed something we are looking at!

Seems absolutely brilliant to make midi sysex controllers I am into right now. Started learning Lua for that, but seems Plug'n Script gives much more control.

Great job, and thank you. :)

Sysex is actually not well supported in all formats right now (MIDI is mostly used for notes, MIDI CC, NRPN etc.)

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 am Sysex is actually not well supported in all formats right now (MIDI is mostly used for notes, MIDI CC, NRPN etc.)
thanks.

Not sure what "all formats" imply?
In my case VST3 only, possibly VST2.

So bytes are not bytes - or?
It's just F0....F7 sequences.

Will not run anything audio.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”