DAWs that support plugin "undo" only do so for automatable parameters?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've stumbled upon something that I want to bring to others attention if you don't already know.

Some DAWs (such as Ableton and Reaper) are now supporting Undo for plugin parameters. I have discovered, however, that what gets recorded for Undo seems to be only the automatable parameters - not ALL parameters.

So if you have controls in your plugin that are not automatable "Undo" can create a mess. For example, if a user changes state of non-automatable switch that turns a control panel on/off the controls on that panel may be recorded for Undo but the state of that switch may not. So after "Undoing" you may have a new state that did not exist previously.

I don't necessarily want every parameter in my plugin to be automatable - so how to address this?

What do you mean by automatable parameter? Is it parameter that is known to DAW? If you don't show parameter to DAW, let DAW change it, or notify DAW about its changes, you can't expect DAW to undo it because DAW simply can't change it or know previous values to Undo.

Vokbuz wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:24 am If you don't show parameter to DAW, let DAW change it, or notify DAW about its changes, you can't expect DAW to undo it because DAW simply can't change it or know previous values to Undo.
There are mechanisms to notify the DAW of non-parameter changes in the plugin's state, but those mechanisms are not universally supported in DAWs, plugin formats and plugin development frameworks. So, it's just the typical mess that is plugin development...

Thanks for letting Me know of this. I'll make sure to add this an FAQ in the works for My developer site. You could always build that into your plugs.

I guess the challenge is adding the queue and the prompt to save while closing and during every action. I suppose it comes down to float accuracy. I suppose CSV is the best medium for achieving.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”