Zebra3 for Android?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are the chances of an Android build of Zebra3?
Could be having the greatest synth ever made becoming available
on one of the most used operating systems ever, would be
a winning combo. Not counting a 100 million Samsung Galaxy phones,
some tablet sales stats

____________2018 ____________2017
Apple_______44.9 million_____43.8 million
Samsung____23.1 million_____24.4 million
Huawei______15.4 million_____13.3 million
Amazon _____11.9 million_____12.4 million
Lenovo_______8.8 million_____10.3 million
Others ______69.7 million_____81.0 million
Total ______173.8 million____185.2 million

Thats about 50 million fairly modern tablets from
just Samsung, Huawei, and Amazon, not counting
2019 models, and plenty of smart-phones that bulge
the target count. Even a miniscule fraction at iOS app
pricing might be a moneymaker, let alone a happy pill
for musicians with android hardware being under-utilized.

Here's a couple android audio vids using tablets
with the G-Stomper software:

https://youtu.be/EvUvindDqVI

https://youtu.be/lM9cRMkTADM

https://youtu.be/aEZz2J-Lpmc

"More formats" is the main reason Zebra3 has not surfaced yet. We should have stayed VST2/AU only from the beginning, maybe should have added AAX at some point, maybe start thinking about VST3 support once NI does.

It's why we don't commit to a full time developer for our Linux efforts.

A nice thing about your linux effort, is that you created installable plugins,
and bypassed the whole linux packaging sector. There shouldn't be a lot of support issues,
since the linux users typically handle their own OS versions and extras, in their own way.
I have 7 linux versions within arms reach, none of which share the same kernel,
system gui, or app selection, and yet your plugins work on all of them.
Should I tinker one of the seven to oblivion, while attempting self-education,
there are 6 more to make music with :hyper:

So regarding Android, it's possibly a distant future 'Maybe'?
Cheers

I fail to see how an Android device can be considered an important thing for making music. Apart from providing distraction when walking on sidewalks and crossing streets, what can it provide to someone who is already using a DAW and hardware controllers ? And, what can it provide to someone who doesn't ? Shouldn't that person get a DAW and some plugins in order to start making music ?

Cheers.

mevla wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm I fail to see how an Android device can be considered an important thing for making music. Apart from providing distraction when walking on sidewalks and crossing streets, what can it provide to someone who is already using a DAW and hardware controllers ? And, what can it provide to someone who doesn't ? Shouldn't that person get a DAW and some plugins in order to start making music ?
IMO, yes. I couldn't even imagine making music on a iPad, other than using it as a controller, maybe.

Not to play devil's advocate, here's a cover tune entirely played on iPads + vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gffhbeUhs

Yeah, i'm sure some people do great things with them. It just wouldn't be fun for me. I'm not a big fan of tablet PC's in general. i much prefer working on a big screen, with a mouse and a keyboard. It's faster, more comfortable, and more fun to me. More inspiring as well, because ideas can be laid down quickly.

Did you even notice the iGrand? I myself get great pleasure from
simply playing a great piano sound with a nice synth sound/seq/arp or two, layered in the moment. Wouldn't have to be Z3, just thought
that it may still be the drawing table, and hence a smaller task.
I don't expect the experienced daw/producer/gear-masters
like you guys to lust after a simple android setup, but there are a gazillion android devices owned by musicians, and potential musicians,
that are far under-utilized, and any U-he synth would be cool
for relaxing with a piano, EP, or guitar sound, some wood on the fire,
some hot tea, cold bourbon, etc etc 8)

mevla wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:08 pm Not to play devil's advocate, here's a cover tune entirely played on iPads + vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gffhbeUhs
Well, some think it an evil to play the Rudess card in a
kvr discussion, I myself don't, good to see him playing a cheesier party role. More people need to embrace happiness, practice more,
and then more again (spoken to the guy in
the mirror). I tell myself the skillz disparity is because of
his long fingers, when I know full well it's the long hours he puts in. :hyper:

An easy example:
Your favorite piano, then from Z2,
add from Bronto Scorpio's free soundset:
Big Score Pad and
Almost To Simple

Blend to taste, maybe add Uhbik A to the piano,
the plate sounds very nice on the high notes :hyper:

Android might have a large user base but that’s a poor reason to develop for it. It would only make sense to go mobile on iOS IMO... for selfish reasons :) also because people actually buy apps, the music production ecosystem is already stellar, and audio isn’t janky as hell.

qoyl wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:23 am Android might have a large user base but that’s a poor reason to develop for it. It would only make sense to go mobile on iOS IMO... for selfish reasons :) also because people actually buy apps, the music production ecosystem is already stellar, and audio isn’t janky as hell.
I also thought of that.

glokraw do you realise you are the only one here in this thread who likes to fool around with tablet? i think it says quite enough :D

Also Zebra 2 is already very complex synth in itself, you want to spend time and dig deep in to programing it, because its not your typical 2 oscillator synth with easy layout something like Synthmaster One as example (which is also made from the ground up).

Also if zebra was coded with mind being for desktop operating systems from the start it probably doesnt have easy way to translate to other operating systems. Do you realise what kind of effort (time and human work) they would need put in to porti this that kind of synth?

Keep in mind that iOS and Android apps are much cheaper then counterparts on Windows/Mac, so that means Zebra wound be sold for 199 eu but rather 20-30 eu. How do you know manhours spent on Zebra would repay?

No need to answer, just think about it :)

Agreed.

There is no easy way to translate the GUI to touch entry. Never mind the different screen resolutions to be supported. On iOS that’s already challenging with any application that’s feature-packed. But on Android, manufacturers are free to combine any screen size/resolution with any hardware spec they like. Add to that a far greater variety of Android versions actually installed.

And can you even use C code on Android? Serious question. Isn’t it all JAVA or is that info terribly outdated?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

medienhexer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am
And can you even use C code on Android? Serious question. Isn’t it all JAVA or is that info terribly outdated?
No i think officially it's still Java, you can use C++ but it has to be interfaced with Java at some point?

I'm not really a programmer, just an enthusiast.. so idk

glokraw wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:46 pm Well, some think it an evil to play the Rudess card in a kvr discussion, I myself don't, good to see him playing a cheesier party role.
Well, I must say that I do not know the guy, had to look his name up. The highlight of the video for me is Eyal's t-shirt with Gentle Giant's "In a Glass House". And listening to other tunes by Project RnL the influence is enormous and used very creatively. The are also Gentle Giant concert videos on youtube, if interested about the origins.

This said, I posted the video just to show that some people are using the iPad to play music. And it's a nice happy cover. Myself, I wouldn't be getting an iPad at all, for any purpose, and especially one that's linked to creating music. I'd go for a Korg Kaos as far as a 'strange interface' is concerned or rather, a Roli keyboard much more likely. In the latter case I'd expect the u-he synths (and Bitwig) to fully support that type of keyboard and I think that's the case.

He he... Just looked up Gentle Giant on youtube. There's a boxset of their works available soon for some $400.

Cheers.

Return to “u-he”