Linux ports existance still surprises folks!

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A lot of linux based musicians, both new and veteran, still
haven't heard about the linux ports, and when they do,
they are happy to know. And a percentage of them
are greatly underexposed to world-class instruments and effects,
and have little or no idea what awaits a purchase.
So mention the U-he collection whenever and wherever,
and may the players be happy :hyper:

In my experience, I've found many haven't even heard of U-he. In fact, I think it wasn't until 2016 that I discovered them, because of their Linux builds.
Yes, U-he for Linux means a lot--not least to U-he! They're in a position to perhaps dominate Linux pro-audio in their respective area. Yes, Linux revenue is likely small potatoes, although investor logic says it's prime-time.
In any event, I'm glad they're doing it and I hope they'll be well rewarded for it in time.

I tried to post this as a new topic in the linux area, but it wound up here. :dog: I discovered Zebra CM on the Computer Music Magazine cover disc many moons ago. It has an analog brass preset that is one of the great sounds of all time, at least to me. I think the boss
made it himself. 8) Maybe someday they can do a linux build for CM,
but the docket seems to be full of great new/improving
products, all the winning just breeds more winning :party:

Somehow I kicked a reverb spring in Twangstrom,
with my mouse :scared: that sure brought back
some good Fender memories! :hyper:

You can open ZebraCM presets in Zebra2... they should play just fine ;-)

What are the chances of an Android build of Zebra3?
Could be having the greatest synth ever made becoming available
on one of the most used operating system ever would be
a winning combo. Some tablet stats

2018 ________________________2017
Apple_________44.9 million 43.8 million
Samsung_____23.1 million 24.4 million
Huawei_______15.4 million 13.3 million
Amazon _____11.9 million 12.4 million
Lenovo_______8.8 million 10.3 million
Others _______69.7 million 81 million
Total _________173.8 million 185.2 million

Thats about 50 millionf fairly modern tablets from
just Samsung, Huawei, and Amazon, not counting
2019 models

couple android audio vids using tablets:

https://youtu.be/EvUvindDqVI

https://youtu.be/lM9cRMkTADM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEZz2J-Lpmc

Also, don't for get about the Librem 5: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/
It's a true Linux phone with an ARM processor as well.

glokraw wrote: ↑Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:18 pm A lot of linux based musicians, both new and veteran, still
haven't heard about the linux ports, and when they do,
they are happy to know. And a percentage of them
are greatly underexposed to world-class instruments and effects,
and have little or no idea what awaits a purchase.
So mention the U-he collection whenever and wherever,
and may the players be happy :hyper:
Quite right, I'll continue to spread the word where I can.

It still surprises me that pro audio on Linux hasn't gained more traction and market share considering the performance benefits it offers and better stability for live performances - especially now that we have Bitwig, Mixbus, Renoise etc and particularly u-he for top level plugins. Linux support is the biggest reason I've bought almost everything they offer, even if I don't use them on Linux all the time. Unfortunately, until Kontakt works reliably on Linux, I'll be stuck using Windows as well for the foreseeable future (with Spitfire showing no signs of offering their own plugin on Linux either, I'm no closer). Now that I can finally bear to leave Adobe Audition in favour of Audacity, sample libraries are my one sticking point. So, u-he - any chance of you developing a Kontakt killer any time soon? Pretty please?

Discovering u-he synths for Linux was a total game changer in 2016. I quickly bought almost all of them, and they gave me the one I did not, Filterscape. So not only the synths were fabulously sounding, very expressive and having that characteristic warmth, but the company was also very cool. 'Is' I should say. :)

U-he is the best VST company of all IMO. The level of professionalism, brilliant sounding and looking, stable software, incredible support, supporting three OSes. I think admiration for U-he is absolutely deserved. :love:

When they port all of their products to Linux, I could start making some serious tunes with Linux [Debian, Mate DE], too. :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Linux is so powerful it's almost silly. Coming from Windows, working as an IT professional for many years ... then discovering Linux, I was floored; the lack of restrictions being top.

The difference I can clearly see now is simply motivations. That's really it; Linux doesn't have the same commercial motivations which the big platforms do. It's an element of evil that's virtually absent.

The only worry I have is what will happen in time. Though, I'm confident whatever that spirit is won't die, but transform.

DuX wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:03 pm U-he is the best VST company of all IMO. The level of professionalism, brilliant sounding and looking, stable software, incredible support, supporting three OSes. I think admiration for U-he is absolutely deserved. :love:

When they port all of their products to Linux, I could start making some serious tunes with Linux [Debian, Mate DE], too. :tu:
Pretty sure all the full versions are ported, and kept very close
the latest builds, which happily, is always a moving target 8)
Bettahh crack yo knuckles an be jammin' an :hyper: bee...happy :hyper:

lunardigs wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:11 pm Linux is so powerful it's almost silly. Coming from Windows, working as an IT professional for many years ... then discovering Linux, I was floored; the lack of restrictions being top.

The difference I can clearly see now is simply motivations. That's really it; Linux doesn't have the same commercial motivations which the big platforms do. It's an element of evil that's virtually absent.
To me, linux is like being on a dance floor, with my choice of tunes,
while windows is like being locked in a very nicely equipped
janitors storeroom. Choosing dance, dance dance is a no-brainer
for me :hihi: (uh-oh, that might be a softball for someone :scared: :wink: )

That said, there is nothing evil about commercial motivations. Getting to
work early, not cheating on break-times, staying late to finish something,
are all commercial motivations, and old-fashioned work ethic,
likely common on the U-he team, and why they maintain excellence.

And there is no more sanctity among the top dogs in the linux world,
than anywhere else...some great firefights and skuldugeries exist,
just not as public/newsworthy. Corporations are people, and people
choose between good and evil all day long. Support the good,
and let the rest wallow in what the make of it all. If only Urs
could win some lottery, and buy out NI :party:

The first 'thud' to be heard, might be
Native Access code landing on the sidewalk :lol:
Cheers

Return to β€œu-he”