Diva vs Behringer D blind test...

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SWAN808 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:23 pm Answer:
A: Behringer D
B: Diva - Classic Mini sounds
tehlord wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 am I would say that A is Diva and B is the Model D, simply because I hear more oscillator
SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:48 pm I would 'guess' B is the hardware.
I can hear the difference with a VA and hardware live in my studio
Lucastyle wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 pm A is Behringer B Diva
Rivanni wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 pmA=Diva
chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:08 pm A is Behringer B Diva.....I would say the same.
akira2 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:51 pm If there is no EQ, I think Diva is B
DidierM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:02 pm They are very close but I would say that A is Diva and B is the Model D. More presence for the second
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:11 pm I think A is Diva.
So 3 right 5 wrong. Certainly within the statistical probability of flipping a coin.

What did we learn ? It doesn't matter what you use........... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnX wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:38 pm
Lucastyle wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:27 pm :lol: can I get a price
prize
Yeah sorry English is not my native language, I tend to have some grammar errors.

Lucastyle wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:10 am Thanks SWAN, I really appreciate your effort for making this comparisons I'm eager to hear the prophet one.

I find that the difference between Diva and analogs is the octave key tracking stability, Diva is rock solid across the keyboard like most VSTs while analogs can have huge variations the legend has this future to tune the variation.

Other key aspects of analog synth is the VCA noise and oscillator leakage, Diva is silent and that takes away some of the perceived 3d effect we usually attribute to analog synths.
no problem! thanks glad it was interesting...

I think maybe noise does come into it a bit and I like a bit of noise...but honestly the differences are so difficult to pin down I stop bothering trying to describe them because you end up sounding like an idiot...I still like certain bits of hardware as well though, why not use both...they actually complement eachother, especially hardware learns you how to get the best out of your software...

...one thing I would ask Urs actually is if we could have a bit more control over the drive particularly in the moog style panels...I find it quite difficult to control even when being really careful with the levels, and the Boog was cleaner...dare I say it but the Legend has this control and it is very useful...
chk071 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:40 pm Can haz price?
:hihi:
Last edited by SWAN808 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

Teksonik wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:13 pm So 3 right 5 wrong. Certainly within the statistical probability of flipping a coin.

At the very least, it's so close that you can easily deceived. Considering what you pay for a Minimoog (and what a pain it probably is to maintain it...), and what you pay for a good emulation like Diva, Legend, or Monark, i think it's pretty fantastic what we have with software these days.

I did a personal comparison Diva vs. Monark some weeks ago, and, i could get them to match 99% with some tweaks (mostly parameter values not matching, unsurprisingly), which also shows how good this stuff is.

chk071 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:29 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:13 pm So 3 right 5 wrong. Certainly within the statistical probability of flipping a coin.

At the very least, it's so close that you can easily deceived. Considering what you pay for a Minimoog (and what a pain it probably is to maintain it...), and what you pay for a good emulation like Diva, Legend, or Monark, i think it's pretty fantastic what we have with software these days.

I did a personal comparison Diva vs. Monark some weeks ago, and, i could get them to match 99% with some tweaks (mostly parameter values not matching, unsurprisingly), which also shows how good this stuff is.
Yeah DIVA, The Legend and Monark all do a fantastic job at emulating the Moog, I've compared them a lot to the hardware which I also own and with a few tweaks here and there you can get them to mach pretty close.

I use them all for different reasons because all of these synths have their own features and quirks, the practicality of software is one of those thing that make it appealing cause maintaining hardware and using it is a lot more of work but it definitely makes a difference,

I feel that with software I feel like a dog chasing his tail trying to make it sound natural as with hardware it just is.

SWAN808 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm
Lucastyle wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:10 am Thanks SWAN, I really appreciate your effort for making this comparisons I'm eager to hear the prophet one.

I find that the difference between Diva and analogs is the octave key tracking stability, Diva is rock solid across the keyboard like most VSTs while analogs can have huge variations the legend has this future to tune the variation.

Other key aspects of analog synth is the VCA noise and oscillator leakage, Diva is silent and that takes away some of the perceived 3d effect we usually attribute to analog synths.
no problem! thanks glad it was interesting...

I think maybe noise does come into it a bit and I like a bit of noise...but honestly the differences are so difficult to pin down I stop bothering trying to describe them because you end up sounding like an idiot...I still like certain bits of hardware as well though, why not use both...they actually complement eachother, especially hardware learns you how to get the best out of your software...

...one thing I would ask Urs actually is if we could have a bit more control over the drive particularly in the moog style panels...I find it quite difficult to control even when being really careful with the levels, and the Boog was cleaner...dare I say it but the Legend has this control and it is very useful...
chk071 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:40 pm Can haz price?
:hihi:
Interesting that you find Diva dirtier than the Boog, I find that U-he plug ins are too tame for my liking hahaha I actually would like grittier sounds out of U-he plug ins, the quality is there thought and repro has introduced some dirtier tools like JAWS and the polyphonic distortions which I adore.

I guess it would be awesome to have more range of tweak-ability even in the subtle and cleaner side.

I’m sorry but the sound differences between a single instance of Diva and one of the Boogs is super obvious once you start playing chords.

Ok, don't care what is what but on average I liked B better.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 pm I’m sorry but the sound differences between a single instance of Diva and one of the Boogs is super obvious once you start playing chords.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(to be fair, one can cascade multiple Boogs into a poly system... good luck getting much use out of it without a preset system though)

SWAN808 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:23 pm Answer:

A: Behringer D

B: Diva - Classic Mini sounds
Lol f me, i was sure that A was Diva and B was behringer. :D
I didn't prefer either, but B seemed to have more "variation" and inconsistencies and jumped out of speakers better - which is what i automatically assumed hardware would do...

Interesting idea about the comparisons)
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Oh wow. B sounded more "unpredictable", or a bit more "complex" if you will. I thought that had to be a real analog circuit. Just wow. Wouldn't have guessed it right.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

Well, our example analogue synths were all built in the 1970s, some in the early 1980s. The Behringer is all new.

So we can expect a "Behringer model D" in Diva2? :hihi:

Ploki wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:45 pm So we can expect a "Behringer model D" in Diva2? :hihi:
You'd better hope you don't live near U-He HQ.... :D

Return to “u-he”