Uhbik 2.0 - Concepts & Roadmap

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Photontic wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:37 pm
Urs wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:08 pm The problem is and remains that changing the names breaks backward compatibility. That's why we won't do it even though we already spent many days of development time on the matter.
I thought all of that was handled by the unique ID for a given plugin? Or does the ID change if you change the name of the plugin?
We thought so too. But several host software makers didn't think so.

Urs wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:49 pm
Photontic wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:37 pm I thought all of that was handled by the unique ID for a given plugin? Or does the ID change if you change the name of the plugin?
Well isn't that wonderful... Have a nice unique ID system to make everything nice and smooth. Have software developers ignore it so it basically can't be used anywhere... :dog:
I make music like I play Tekken; randomly push buttons and hope for something good to happen.

Photontic wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 pm
Urs wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:49 pm
Photontic wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:37 pm I thought all of that was handled by the unique ID for a given plugin? Or does the ID change if you change the name of the plugin?
Well isn't that wonderful... Have a nice unique ID system to make everything nice and smooth. Have software developers ignore it so it basically can't be used anywhere... :dog:
I think that's because of the limitations of a 4-digit ID and an online registration system in the first place. Not all plug-in developers could be arsed to register their IDs, and some solutions that let people save/export their creation as VST plug-in can't automagically access the registration system. Which also was a bit hit & miss to see which IDs were already taken. Hence there were collisions all the time, and thus more identifiers had to be used, including plug-in name.

Nowadays we use additional or more reliable identifiers (registered company codes, UUIDs).

been demoing the new Alpha versions as I'm tempted to buy them.
Given they now sport a very flexible mod section, wouldn't sidechain input make sense? not only for compressor, but for using envelope follower for other fx with a sidechain source.
Also, runciter having 0.0 - 10.0 - for automating is a bit annoying. I assume it's for backward compatibility

Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:28 pmGiven they now sport a very flexible mod section, wouldn't sidechain input make sense? not only for compressor, but for using envelope follower for other fx with a sidechain source.
Yes, that's a feature we're likely going to add. We have that in Twangström already.

Urs wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:08 pm
Photontic wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 pm Well isn't that wonderful... Have a nice unique ID system to make everything nice and smooth. Have software developers ignore it so it basically can't be used anywhere... :dog:
I think that's because of the limitations of a 4-digit ID and an online registration system in the first place. Not all plug-in developers could be arsed to register their IDs, and some solutions that let people save/export their creation as VST plug-in can't automagically access the registration system. Which also was a bit hit & miss to see which IDs were already taken. Hence there were collisions all the time, and thus more identifiers had to be used, including plug-in name.

Nowadays we use additional or more reliable identifiers (registered company codes, UUIDs).
Alright. I only really know about it from the plugins XML file for Studio One, and having seen this unique ID mentioned in other cases. For instance how a VST2 and VST3 plugin can be recognized as the same due to the ID.
The XML file has a classID value for each plugin, which is a rather long numeric string (with a few dashes), but perhaps those are just made by PreSonus?
For Uhbik-Q it's {D39D5B69-D6AF-42FA-1234-567855635131}, and the first 4 values are shared between the Uhbiks.
I make music like I play Tekken; randomly push buttons and hope for something good to happen.

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:01 pm 1. About Uhbik 2 concepts:
We have plans to add new reverb modes to Uhbik-A and new filter modes to Runciter. This is not set in stone yet, but now looks like a good opportunity to do so.
Please please please!!! I use those 2 all the time and would love more algos

flocked wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 am I would greatly suggest to change the plugin names. It's super confusing for me and always requires me to think a few seconds which plugin I want to use.
Also back then when I didn't exactly know what Uhbik is, the names confused me from a marketing point of view :D

And yes, I read about the problem with the plugin IDs, but I think the incompability to version Uhbik 1 is worth the name change.
-
also +1 for the possible rack. Something with the concept of Unfiltered Audio BYOME, but with the uhbik plugins would be great :)
Oh yes, please change the names! I would be so happy.

I really did not need any more Chorus, Delay etc plugins but grabbed the Unbiks at the last moment with my 30% voucher, mainly because I really enjoyed the modulation options, and the visualisation, owning a copy of Hive I just felt right at home, resizable GUI is much improved, and if NI ever release a proper FX version of KK, NKS option would be killer.
Wish list includes, VST3 sidechain inputs on as many devices as possible. Would be nice to see more Filter options on Runciter and yes, I’m another that hates the names. The Reverb has so many possibilities it would be nice to see a couple of new algorithms, Delay needs numeric input option, the 16th knobs are a bit fiddly for quick work and there is something about the tremolo pattern editor I really don’t like, its just a bit meh…
I bought them because I find your products thoughtful, interesting to work with, I love the modulation options and you listen to your customers. Keep up the good work, thanks for the fantastic products, you got my vote for Dev of the year.
:tu:

A new Alpha is up! We added an extra yummy reverb algorithm, among other things:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=536689

Rather than make a new post.. (Which maybe I should) I want to level on this. John Lehmkuhl, (Pluginguru.com) released unify, a plugin rack, with remarkable flexibility.
I have been working up a Uhbik preset pack for years around the idea of a rack system for Uhbik so here it is. (we talked about it a couple of years ago on this forum) Viktor convinced me a few weeks ago developing on Uhbik 2 is impossible. Which from a configuration management point of view I agree with completely. I am developing on Uhbik 1.x
What do you think the current risk is to develop on Uhbik 2.x? Short of keeping the names the same? Thank you. :D

dlarseninclusive wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:42 am I am developing on Uhbik 1.x
What do you think the current risk is to develop on Uhbik 2.x? Short of keeping the names the same? Thank you. :D
Why not develop on Uhbik 1.x for a few months, then refine on Uhbik 2.x when it arrives?

Howard wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:10 am
dlarseninclusive wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:42 am I am developing on Uhbik 1.x
Why not develop on Uhbik 1.x for a few months, then refine on Uhbik 2.x when it arrives?
Thank you sir, that is the right question, no reason at all and this makes sense. I just wanted to get the temptation to dabble off my mind. I agree completely, believed Viktor the first time, and will keep my eye on the ball. I hope it turns out good, this is a fun one. :tu:

*Update* In a Karmic twist, the lesson here is patience. There is a feature not ready yet in Unify. So I wait. :D

If this has been asked already, apologies. Is there a preliminary manual for Uhbik C floating around somewhere?
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:48 am If this has been asked already, apologies. Is there a preliminary manual for Uhbik C floating around somewhere?
Uhbik-C WIP.pdf.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “u-he”