Uhbik 2.0 - Concepts & Roadmap

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. About Uhbik 2 concepts:

For Uhbik 2.0 we're radically changing the UI and concept. At the same time Uhbik 2.0 stays fully backwards compatible to Uhbik 1.x.

The first thing you'll notice is the change of UI. Surely, some people will prefer the original skins ("signature wheels") at first. Let me pre-empt any outrage here and say that usability and consistency is vastly improved in the new designs. Also, the new features require a compact view. Give it a few days and you won't want to come back.

Secondly, we added extensive modulation. Similar to Twangström, we added a dynamic envelope, an LFO and a ModMatrix. Behind the new Scope we also added the ModMapper known from Zebra, ACE and Bazille. We furthermore improved those standard modules to accommodate their usefulness in Uhbik. Let me outline some points about these:
  • Every Uhbik has the same modulators: Learn once, apply everywhere!
  • Modulators can interact: Build gate effects etc.
  • We've added extra "good to modulate" parameters to some Uhbiks
  • Work in progress: We hope to be able to also visualize ModMatrix slots in the Scope!
For some it'll not look like enough. For others it'll look like too much. I believe though we found the right balance between ubiquity and ease of use. With some Uhbiks we might need to add more modulation targets. Suggestions are welcome!

Let me explain what I mean: In Uhbik-A we added extra gain parameters for early reflections, diffuse hall and effect input. We also added stereo panning (l/r in pairs for surround applications) With the dynamic envelope you can build ducking reverbs, gated reverbs, reverbs with smoothed out transients, gated diffuse reverbs without gating early reflections, reverbs that only apply to one quarter in a beat (sequenced reverbs), reverbs that randomly apply to any given beat, reverbs that pan, reverbs that pulsate, reverbs that have longer tails on louder signals, reverbs that... loads of them.

We added similar options to Uhbik-D, which already has some excellent mod targets.

Other effects could probably do with some more meaningful modulation targets. Discussing those things is one of the main incentives to post a public alpha version. We'll continue work until we think it's complete.

2. Further improvements

We've added new phaser modes to Uhbik-P which mimic classic 4/6/12 stage phasers. With the now bipolar Mix knob you can do pretty much any classic phasing sound that ever got famous.

We have plans to add new reverb modes to Uhbik-A and new filter modes to Runciter. This is not set in stone yet, but now looks like a good opportunity to do so.

The EQ will get a visual feedback for audio spectrum, both pre- and post EQing. This section is a bit orphaned in the current alpha. Work In Progress™

Because some modulations can make things go crazy, there's a softclip function to prevent loud audio spikes. At the moment this is linear (absolutely transparent) up to 0dB, then smoothly aligns everything until +6dB. This may be to harsh for some, we would like to know what's acceptable, maybe we can use +12dB or even +24dB as the brickwall. And maybe we need to experiment with a combination of limiting as well.

3. Roadmap, pricing and all

Our plan is to go public beta in mid December.

We hope to be ready for release mid of January.

Until release, the price stays €149, then (mid of January) goes up to €199. (Consider the current price tag an introduction offer to V2.0)

The upgrade is free for existing owners of a 1.x license.

There are experiments with a rack version. We will let you know if and what we do with it as soon as we are sure that it's what we want it to be.

Discuss,

- U

Stressing the word "experiments" up there... only mentioning it to pre-empt following scenario:

"OMG, I'm so disappointed, I spent my whole budget on Black Friday sales. I didn't want to get Uhbik without a rack version, but I would have gotten it had I known there was one coming. You really should have told us beforehand!!! I hate you now :x :x :x "

^^ so now you've been told. The possibility is real, but we will not show/discuss anything tangible before we go beta with this :clown:

:)

free update for v1 owners! awesome. thank you Urs!
can't wait to check it out.

dayjob wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm free update for v1 owners! awesome. thank you Urs!
can't wait to check it out.
Awesome yes! That's how the good guys doing their business! :tu: :)
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

once you go rack there is no going back...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 pm once you go rack there is no going back...
Just to be sure: We're talking about a larger VST/AU/AAX plug-in with a rack of Uhbiks, not versions of the plug-ins for VCV Rack.

(latter sounds interesting, too, but it isn't anything we can work on anytime soon)

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 pm once you go rack there is no going back...
Just to be sure: We're talking about a larger VST/AU/AAX plug-in with a rack of Uhbiks, not versions of the plug-ins for VCV Rack.

(latter sounds interesting, too, but it isn't anything we can work on anytime soon)
Yes (although I am a VCV rack fan as well!) I only got interested in (and bought) soundtoys when they introduced the rack, having a preset for a rack full of FX makes it far more than the sum of its parts.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

so cool!
https://sepix.net/

DJ and Music Maker. Unconventional Electronic Music. Braindance. Breakcore.

Reason Rack vst exists, Uhbiks Rack is coming,
would it be possible or in the plans to use the new framework
to skin ACE, for example, as a rack holding it's own modules?
(sorry if it's a dumb idea from a 0's and 1's standpoint,
I'm not a coder)
Cheers

Very excited for new UI's, (I never found the usability great on the old versions) phaser modes and filter modes:)

So, actually had a go with it now, new GUI's are faaar better.

New phaser modes are million times better, I've been searching for a software phaser for years that is as good as analogue, and they're always lacking. This sounds so good and luscious, best new software phasers by far :)

"Inflation" is great, as is the new modulation system!

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm ^^ so now you've been told. The possibility is real, but we will not show/discuss anything tangible before we go beta with this :clown:
The difference between letting the cat out of the bag,
and swirling the bag overhead to gain momentum,
and then hurling the cat half the length of a football field,
could possibly be accurately measured by the pint.
Maybe Howard and the T Devil were buying the pints
last night? :wink: :hyper:

Fantastic news on the upcoming v2! Can't wait, Uhbik plugins are amazing tools.

My favorite one, often forgotten, is the Uhbik-G, the granulator. I still keep coming back to it when I want to liquify a sound into melting metal :D ...Any new set of ideas to implement for it?

Return to “u-he”