Uhbik 2.0 public alpha rev. 9313

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

epiphaneia wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:47 pm
Urs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 am
fgimian wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:39 am* I really think Runciter needs more filter modes. At least it would be great to have a few more slopes (I believe the current implementation is a 24db/oct filter).
I really think so too.

As I wrote elsewhere, we're a company with a very good reputation in analogue filter modelling for synthesisers, but none of our filter plug-ins feature any of those. We certainly need to change that and at least one 12dB/Oct model shall find its way into Runciter - hopefully for the beta phase already which is set to start in December.
How about the MS20 high and low pass filters? :hyper:
That's another option.

TBH I'm still very tired of 1:1 emulation approaches though. Whatever is gonna go in there will be freestyle, maybe "the topology of this with our solution from that". Always wanted to try a Sallen-Key filter (that's what's in the MS-20) based around leftover CEM-3320 models from Repro development.

While i'm a fan of the MS20 filter, I find Runciter to be already pretty well featured in the "dirt" section ;)
I would be curious to hear what it would give with a more "liquid" sound (à la 3109)...

I think Runciter should continue to do dirty well and also keep with it in not being a direct precise emulation of any particular filter. A MS-20 inspired filter wit a special u-he twist could work well, in my opinion. :wink:

Also: these updates, wow! :hail: Finally whatI've been missing in those otherwise dearly beloved Uhbiks, and if we're lucky we get to see something X-ish sometime in the future. :clap: :pray:

what about a rack version (like soundtoys 5) that combines the uhbiks and allows to safe effect combinations and can modulate more effects simultaniously.

sacer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:54 pm what about a rack version (like soundtoys 5) that combines the uhbiks and allows to safe effect combinations and can modulate more effects simultaniously.
That's pretty much what we try to do but as mentioned previously, no guarantees. Multiple Uhbik's in a rack with shared modulation and some nice routing options.

I loaded these up the other day for a quick look and they look really fresh, awesome work! I look forward to getting more use out of these soon. Regarding the options for ui scale, brightness, etc, would be nice to have those apply to the whole batch, I went through them all and set the scale up. Another question, is there anything other than the visualizer style that has a performance impact? Like text antialiasing?

mrj1nx wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 pm I loaded these up the other day for a quick look and they look really fresh, awesome work! I look forward to getting more use out of these soon.
Thank you!
Regarding the options for ui scale, brightness, etc, would be nice to have those apply to the whole batch, I went through them all and set the scale up.
Yeah, that's a little bit difficult. The Rack - if we do it - would be larger and then it would affect that too, and that would look terrible. We need to figure something out in the long run for our bundle type of things with different size brackets.
Another question, is there anything other than the visualizer style that has a performance impact? Like text antialiasing?
No, the scope is the only thing so far, we have yet to see what's happening in the EQ view.

This has been a very welcome update. I use Uhbiks frequently and since I use them in Bitwig, I already have a lot of routing and modulation options but having modulation and such in the GUI is still has it's benefits.
I love being able to modulate compressors reverbs and things which don't often have modulation options.

I definitely support the idea that additional filter modes in Runciter need not emulate existing filter topologies. Runciter already sounds different from other filters I use, which is why I turn to it more frequently than other DSP based filters (I mean, I have analog filters based on most of the designs you might use). I would also welcome more options to tailor how the filter responds to incoming signal. For example, my Analog Heat allows me to route it's envelope follower to the filter drive/dirt parameter, which results in a kind of compression effect, which also effects way the filter sounds (since the drive adds harmonics).

Anyway, I'm excited for this update.

Urs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:57 pm TBH I'm still very tired of 1:1 emulation approaches though. Whatever is gonna go in there will be freestyle, maybe "the topology of this with our solution from that". Always wanted to try a Sallen-Key filter (that's what's in the MS-20) based around leftover CEM-3320 models from Repro development.
Nerdy question, what part of PRO-1's 3320 you're going to use as _that_ opamp in Sallen Key?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murderous duck!

Btw, Urs, do you use something like SPICE to emulate your circuits? Rather, do you just design from equations? Obviously you listen to the results and tweak, but I mean the initial approach.

lunardigs wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:00 pm Btw, Urs, do you use something like SPICE to emulate your circuits? Rather, do you just design from equations? Obviously you listen to the results and tweak, but I mean the initial approach.
Equations! (derived from Kirchhoff's Current Law and supplementary equations)

https://urs.silvrback.com/analogue-modeling

david.beholder wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:44 pm
Urs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:57 pm TBH I'm still very tired of 1:1 emulation approaches though. Whatever is gonna go in there will be freestyle, maybe "the topology of this with our solution from that". Always wanted to try a Sallen-Key filter (that's what's in the MS-20) based around leftover CEM-3320 models from Repro development.
Nerdy question, what part of PRO-1's 3320 you're going to use as _that_ opamp in Sallen Key?
Is there a particular OpAmp? - Looks to me much like the OpAmp is merely a buffer type of thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sallen–Key_topology

I could simply make it linear and not bother about it at all.

I'm more interested in using the special, asymmetrically distorting OTAs of the 3320 as variable resistors.

u-he-william wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:09 am That's pretty much what we try to do but as mentioned previously, no guarantees. Multiple Uhbik's in a rack with shared modulation and some nice routing options.
:hyper:

Impressive update :clap: Works fine in Cubase 10.5, but there is no bypass-option in the Cubase Mixer ... i havent seen this in any other VST before :?: And the images of the knobs are stumbeling a bit when i control them with Midi-Learn. I have installed the 64bit VST2 and VST3 versions on Windows 10.

Urs wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 pm Is there a particular OpAmp? - Looks to me much like the OpAmp is merely a buffer type of thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sallen–Key_topology

I could simply make it linear and not bother about it at all.

I'm more interested in using the special, asymmetrically distorting OTAs of the 3320 as variable resistors.
I don't say it's any particular op-amp and I know how SK looks and works.
But you've answered my question, thanks.
Murderous duck!

Return to “u-he”