Uhbik 2.0 public alpha rev. 9313

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fgimian wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:04 am Hey Urs, would you consider allowing much longer Delay times in Uhbik-F so it can be used for Chorus as well? :)

Thanks heaps
Fotis
How long do you want them to be? I think Roland-ish chorusses are easily fit in Uhbik-F's range (10ms delay + 20ms modulated excursion IIRC)

Urs wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:41 am
fgimian wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:04 am Hey Urs, would you consider allowing much longer Delay times in Uhbik-F so it can be used for Chorus as well? :)

Thanks heaps
Fotis
How long do you want them to be? I think Roland-ish chorusses are easily fit in Uhbik-F's range (10ms delay + 20ms modulated excursion IIRC)
Thanks for the reply mate. Kjaerhus Classic Chorus which is still my reference for choruses (but is long discontinued) does all the way up to 320ms which allows for some lazer-like insane modulation effects with fast rates. Looking at all the factory presets in Classic Chorus, they use delay times up to 80ms.

Blue Cat Chorus seems to do up to 30ms but when listening, it sounds a lot more like 60ms.

I perhaps it would be ideal to have a range that goes to around 80 or 100 ms in total, or 300 - 400ms if you're feeling adventurous :)

Also a little note that Uhbik-F in the Alpha seems to be a bit broken here on Cubase 9.5 x64 / Windows 10. The UI opens and the plugin seems to function as normal but there's something seriously wrong with the sound. It seems to process audio for a few seconds, then it sounds like it's breaking up and the wet signal dissappears for a few seconds. It then returns and the cycle repeats.

fgimian wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:11 pm Also a little note that Uhbik-F in the Alpha seems to be a bit broken here on Cubase 9.5 x64 / Windows 10. The UI opens and the plugin seems to function as normal but there's something seriously wrong with the sound.
This is likely connected to the problem that the VST3 version currently processes all eight channels.
Try setting it from auto/surround to stereo 1/2 (right-click the main display to get the channel configuration menu).

Weirdly, we were sure we had that specific problem in Uhbik-F fixed a while ago.
Seems it made a comeback. Thank you very much for mentioning it. :tu:
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Is it me being thick, or something not yet implemented, but isn't the Uhbik-Q big square display supposed to, errh, display something ? I was expecting it to show some kind of frequency curve, for instance, but whatever i do, it keeps being blank :?:

sinkmusic wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 am isn't the Uhbik-Q big square display supposed to, errh, display something ?
tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 pm Known Issues & notes:
(...)
* GUI still work in progress (e.g. Uhbik-Q)
:)
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

ah ah ! Ok, thank you, Rob ;)

Kind of hoping that there will be some upgrades to the Tap Map editor.. it feels a bit unfinished or raw currently.
Always feels like there should be dedicated controls for the selection and modification functions - A fader to the left or right that controls the power of the warp, smoothing, etc.. would be appreciated.

Also, when you select the first partial or whatever you want to call it.. you can't sweep around as you can with all the others. Minor bug I guess.

Another thing I'd like to see is carousel arrows on some of the lists.. the LFO sync times for instance.. NI added this to Massive X and makes a bit of difference to me in terms of feel. I usually don't like traversing lists when I'm using a synth.. kind of takes me out of it.

Overall, I'm not really blown away by the modulation system here.. simply because there's no visual feedback and it requires you to set up everything in your head beforehand with discrete rather than continuous selections.. (compressed, linear, etc.. when this could be one sweepable value with visual feedback) - Sigmoid Function

https://dhemery.github.io/DHE-Modules/t ... l/sigmoid/

Feels like overkill and takes away some of the spontaneity and fun.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:42 am
fgimian wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:11 pm Also a little note that Uhbik-F in the Alpha seems to be a bit broken here on Cubase 9.5 x64 / Windows 10. The UI opens and the plugin seems to function as normal but there's something seriously wrong with the sound.
This is likely connected to the problem that the VST3 version currently processes all eight channels.
Try setting it from auto/surround to stereo 1/2 (right-click the main display to get the channel configuration menu).

Weirdly, we were sure we had that specific problem in Uhbik-F fixed a while ago.
Seems it made a comeback. Thank you very much for mentioning it. :tu:
Aaah, no worries at all :)

Just some further thoughts from me:

* I really think Runciter needs more filter modes. At least it would be great to have a few more slopes (I believe the current implementation is a 24db/oct filter).

* I had reported in the past that various Uhbik plugins add several samples of latency which is not compensated (at least not in Cubase). I'll test this scenario again with Uhbik 2.0 but it would really be ideal if this were fixed. It makes it very difficult to use the plugins when working on drum mics and such which must be perfectly phase aligned.

Keep up the great work!
Fotis

Confirmed, Uhbik-F and Runciter add 6 samples of uncompensated latency. Several of the other plugins (e.g. Uhbik-Q) add 3 samples.

You can easily reproduce this by duplicating two audio tracks which are playing a long clip, inverting track 2 and inserting any of the Uhbik plugins on track 2.

I suggest going through them all and ensure they are 100% compensated if you can :)

ehdyn wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:40 pm Kind of hoping that there will be some upgrades to the Tap Map editor.. it feels a bit unfinished or raw currently.
Always feels like there should be dedicated controls for the selection and modification functions - A fader to the left or right that controls the power of the warp, smoothing, etc.. would be appreciated.

I've been thinking about that. My favourite thing would probably be a set of draggable controls (warp, smooth, expand...) for those things where it makes sense.
Also, when you select the first partial or whatever you want to call it.. you can't sweep around as you can with all the others. Minor bug I guess.
Could be... will need to check this out.
Another thing I'd like to see is carousel arrows on some of the lists.. the LFO sync times for instance.. NI added this to Massive X and makes a bit of difference to me in terms of feel. I usually don't like traversing lists when I'm using a synth.. kind of takes me out of it.
We did that somewhere recently. I think it's a good idea if possible.
Overall, I'm not really blown away by the modulation system here.. simply because there's no visual feedback and it requires you to set up everything in your head beforehand with discrete rather than continuous selections.. (compressed, linear, etc.. when this could be one sweepable value with visual feedback) [...]
Feels like overkill and takes away some of the spontaneity and fun.
That's the kind of feedback we were hoping for, kind of. I'm not sure if you mean the supply of modulation sources (LFO/Env/Mapper/MIDI/ModNoise), or just the Modulation Matrix though.

In regards to the drop downs / discrete options in the ModMatrix, I don't think it's gonna change. I think they work incredibly well in Hive 2.0. They are meant to "aid the exception", as in: You can usually ignore them, but sometimes they're good to have. I believe they would be come time eaters if made continuous (well, only 2 params could be: Slew and Curve) where people would start tweaking in esoteric/homepathic differences. Also, the visuals would need to be larger and give it an overall more complex touch - something we'd want to avoid.

I share the sentiment that dedicated modulation options (e.g. Soundtoys) are more intuitive to use. But they are of course also comparably limited in what you can do with them. Two things come to mind:

- we need templates/tutorials/videos/docs for a wide range of standard modulation scenarios
- in Uhbiks where the current system is overkill, can new parameters make any difference?

- U

fgimian wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:43 am Confirmed, Uhbik-F and Runciter add 6 samples of uncompensated latency. Several of the other plugins (e.g. Uhbik-Q) add 3 samples.

You can easily reproduce this by duplicating two audio tracks which are playing a long clip, inverting track 2 and inserting any of the Uhbik plugins on track 2.

I suggest going through them all and ensure they are 100% compensated if you can :)
I think that's in the works or on the list.

fgimian wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:39 am* I really think Runciter needs more filter modes. At least it would be great to have a few more slopes (I believe the current implementation is a 24db/oct filter).
I really think so too.

As I wrote elsewhere, we're a company with a very good reputation in analogue filter modelling for synthesisers, but none of our filter plug-ins feature any of those. We certainly need to change that and at least one 12dB/Oct model shall find its way into Runciter - hopefully for the beta phase already which is set to start in December.

Thank you so so much Urs! :)

Ok, glad you understood my feedback in the right spirit.. obviously these are incredible plugins already and it’s difficult to identify and articulate the little touches that would take them even further.
Everything I mentioned is just minor little tweaks to button everything up, but ultimately unnecessary - only nice to haves that could be shared back to other instruments/effects.

As far as the mod matrix, I just wish there were a more visible or tangible aspect to the scaling and mapping or at least their effect upon a parameter.

Urs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 am
fgimian wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:39 am* I really think Runciter needs more filter modes. At least it would be great to have a few more slopes (I believe the current implementation is a 24db/oct filter).
I really think so too.

As I wrote elsewhere, we're a company with a very good reputation in analogue filter modelling for synthesisers, but none of our filter plug-ins feature any of those. We certainly need to change that and at least one 12dB/Oct model shall find its way into Runciter - hopefully for the beta phase already which is set to start in December.
How about the MS20 high and low pass filters? :hyper:

Return to “u-he”