Uhbik 2.0 public alpha rev. 9313

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow. Such an elegant interface design but so much depth. Rack functionality would be awesome, otherwise I am deep into programming some gated verbs and I am already longing for a Mod Wheel / more Mod Slots.. I know, a bit too greedy. But these new modulation options are just begging for it. Great update!

Boywonder77 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:29 am Will the final version include new & more presets? I own a lot of your plugins but I never purchased Uhbik because I felt there were not enough presets and I did not really like the presets in the older version. I love the new browser though. Thanks for you hard work on plugins like Hive 2, Diva, and Repro.
Yes, I am sure there’ll be a lot more presets 8-)

FYI for any other Bitwig users, it seems Bitwig is one of the hosts Uhbik D is not playing so nicely with (likely the panning related issue already mentioned).

qoyl wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:15 am FYI for any other Bitwig users, it seems Bitwig is one of the hosts Uhbik D is not playing so nicely with (likely the panning related issue already mentioned).
If you are using the VST3 in Bitwig, set Uhbik-D's channel configuration from auto/surround to stereo 1+2 (right-click in the main data display at the top middle of the GUI). Or use the VST2 version instead.

Can't wait to finish my current project and give these a spin!
Always Read the Manual!

Awesome (free for 1.x users) update! Thanks!

Disclaimers: I'm just one guy, this is just my opinion, don't take it too seriously. Of course you won't; you will watch who buys what over a long period of time and will ignore this comment entirely, so I'm wasting both my time and yours. I just felt I needed to get this off my chest. Nothing to see here, carry on.

Despite being a top #1 fan of U-he plugins in general... I am not interested in Uhbik.

...I'm interested in Presswerk, and Satin, and Color Copy, and I would have been interested in Twangström if I were at all interested in spring reverbs. I love the premium stuff! I love the plugins that feel "special" ... like I've got an electronic version of a pedal or a rack FX unit.

Packages like Uhbik always feel like they're competing with my DAW (BitWig, in my case, but the same applies to most others), which has effects which are really quite good already! I can, for example, throw a built-in delay or phaser or chorus or whatever into the effects block of a preset, save that preset, and never have to worry about uninstalling that effect and rendering the preset defunct. ...Same for a track: built-in effects will always "just work" even years later.

..."Premium" effects are even a *bit* of a risk. I adore and over-use Color Copy, for example... but maybe someday I'll pick up Valhalla Delay and decide I like it better and next year when I Windows inevitably crashes and I end up having to reinstall everything, I may not re-install it, and then all of my presets (which, yes, I backup) with Color Copy are defunct.

...Now: it so happens that I love CC enough that it's nigh impossible that *this* one will be eclipsed by another, but ... my point is: effect plugins carry a bit of risk with them, in terms of longevity, so if I buy an effect, it's gotta really be something special.

It also so happens that U-he makes some of the best "special" effects out there, and I love you for it. ...As I said at the beginning: I just had to get this off my chest. Good luck with Uhbik, really, but, personally (and, yes, I know that doesn't really matter, I wish you guys were putting out a really kick-ass premium overdrive or dedicated phaser/flanger or resonator or or or or ...

Anyway, I don't mean this to sound negative. Really, I don't. I just wanted to maybe put a data point out there, is all. Maybe.

Cheers.

Introspective wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:43 pmDespite being a top #1 fan of U-he plugins in general... I am not interested in Uhbik.
That's ok.

That's some crazy good and very unexpected news! I still use the Uhbiks from time to time, so this will be a welcome update.. And it's even crazier that it's a free update.. after all those years and what appears to be a major overhaul, it would've been ok to charge an upgrade-fee IMO, but I welcome it anyway :D
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Introspective wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:43 pm Disclaimers: I'm just one guy, this is just my opinion, don't take it too seriously. Of course you won't; you will watch who buys what over a long period of time and will ignore this comment entirely, so I'm wasting both my time and yours. I just felt I needed to get this off my chest. Nothing to see here, carry on.

Despite being a top #1 fan of U-he plugins in general... I am not interested in Uhbik.

...I'm interested in Presswerk, and Satin, and Color Copy, and I would have been interested in Twangström if I were at all interested in spring reverbs. I love the premium stuff! I love the plugins that feel "special" ... like I've got an electronic version of a pedal or a rack FX unit.

Packages like Uhbik always feel like they're competing with my DAW (BitWig, in my case, but the same applies to most others), which has effects which are really quite good already! I can, for example, throw a built-in delay or phaser or chorus or whatever into the effects block of a preset, save that preset, and never have to worry about uninstalling that effect and rendering the preset defunct. ...Same for a track: built-in effects will always "just work" even years later.

..."Premium" effects are even a *bit* of a risk. I adore and over-use Color Copy, for example... but maybe someday I'll pick up Valhalla Delay and decide I like it better and next year when I Windows inevitably crashes and I end up having to reinstall everything, I may not re-install it, and then all of my presets (which, yes, I backup) with Color Copy are defunct.

...Now: it so happens that I love CC enough that it's nigh impossible that *this* one will be eclipsed by another, but ... my point is: effect plugins carry a bit of risk with them, in terms of longevity, so if I buy an effect, it's gotta really be something special.

It also so happens that U-he makes some of the best "special" effects out there, and I love you for it. ...As I said at the beginning: I just had to get this off my chest. Good luck with Uhbik, really, but, personally (and, yes, I know that doesn't really matter, I wish you guys were putting out a really kick-ass premium overdrive or dedicated phaser/flanger or resonator or or or or ...

Anyway, I don't mean this to sound negative. Really, I don't. I just wanted to maybe put a data point out there, is all. Maybe.

Cheers.
Not to disregard your own personal circumstances and opinions, but for many people native DAW devices don't quite make the cut. For example the phaser in Live, while OK isn't the greatest and Uhbik-P, Soundtoys Phase Mistress and Bom Shanka Machines aardvark phaser far surpass it, in terms of sound quality and features. That's not to say all of Live's native devices are sub par, I'm quite fond of the Frequency Shifter, Saturator and Pedal myself, just that it has gaps and suites like Uhbik help fill those gaps. With regards to the v2 update specifically, the inclusion of onboard modulation is especially good for those using more traditional DAWs like Cubase, Logic etc i.e. not Bitwig or Live and therefore don't have access to LFOs, envelope followers etc via M4L or The Grid.

It's apparent this suite and the update isn't for you and that's OK, but it's going to be a big one for a lot existing and new potential users for sure. On a side note as far as longevity goes, the original Uhbik bundle was released in 2009, has been supported free of charge for that entire period on multiple platforms and is now getting a facelift, with existing users being entitled to a free upgrade path, if that's not a commitment to long term support of both a product and it's userbase, then what is? :)
Always Read the Manual!

Small request. Could SSB1:FreqOff and SSB1:PhaseOff be renamed to SSB1:FreqOffset and SSB1:PhaseOffset?
Makes it more clear when using automation. Offsets in other Uhbiks are called Offset too.

I also noticed Groove is consistently called Swing. Less of a problem, or should I say no problem, since the two are interchangeable. Just an observation.

Another small thing: Could LFO Sine be moved before LFO Tri is the mod source list? Makes more sense since this is the order in the plugin and putting it after Rnd looks odd.

I know the GUI's are work in progress but I can indicate it better on time.

Re. Groove/Swing: Communication error over twelve meters distance between me and Basti, two room down the hallway.

I wish to keep LFO Sine last because - by design and intention - it isn't affected by the Symmetry parameter. It's like an auxiliary output that is still doing something smoothly when e.g. pulse width is 0 or triangle is skewed to a sawtooth.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:46 am
qoyl wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:15 am FYI for any other Bitwig users, it seems Bitwig is one of the hosts Uhbik D is not playing so nicely with (likely the panning related issue already mentioned).
If you are using the VST3 in Bitwig, set Uhbik-D's channel configuration from auto/surround to stereo 1+2 (right-click in the main data display at the top middle of the GUI). Or use the VST2 version instead.
This was exactly the problem, thanks! I was wondering where to find those channel settings.

Hey Urs, would you consider allowing much longer Delay times in Uhbik-F so it can be used for Chorus as well? :)

Thanks heaps
Fotis

u-he-william wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 pm
sinkmusic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm DSP wise, is there any new additions to try (like some updates to the reverb algorithm, or with the delay, etc) ?
I'm really glad to try Runciter with some modulation !
Not in the alpha but we think about adding a new reverb algorithm or runciter filter mode for the release version. Can't make any guarantees though.
As so many here seems to be all about the rack, I just want to throw in a vote for the new reverb algorithm in Uhbik-A. That would be lovely! :party:

Return to “u-he”