Uhbik 2.0 public alpha rev. 9313

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:41 pm
medienhexer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:32 pm I really thought I was not smart enough for the modulation system, turns out, the drag and drop system for mod assignments in the bottom four slots only started working after I changed zoom once on my system (MacBook Pro late 2013, Catalina, Logic Pro 10.4.7).
Checked Catalina and Logic 10.4.7, but over here the mod assignment dragging worked instantly.
What exactly did you mean by you changed zoom on your system?
I first thought you meant changing Uhbik's GUI size, but maybe you meant something else?
That's exactly what I meant. I tried just clicking and click-and-dragging in the Mod Matrix's "none" area. Nothing happened. I tried several UHBIKs.

Then I switched GUI size to 110 and 120% and suddenly, the cross hair object with the rubber band showed up and let me assign the mod target.

Of course, I had UHBIK 1 installed beforehand. So perhaps you need a pref file with no zoom setting in it for the error to occur? Do you check pref file version at plug-in launch?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Is it possible the coordinate in that GUI element is linked to the zoom level? For the drag and drop, you probably had to develop a proprietary event handler which needs the source and target coordinates of the drag and drop action for the assignment.

I never checked out the Uhbik's before but...

1. Would now be a good time to maybe think about changing the names to make them more clear? Examples: "Uhbik A(mbience)' or just "Uhbik Flanger." Not sure if that would break anything as long as the plugin ID's stay the same, but the current naming scheme requires some stopping and thinking for me. Example: "Is 'C' compressor or chorus? Where is the chorus? WHERE IS THE CHORUS!" "Why is 'A' reverb? Oh, Ambience, I get it!"

2. Selling individual modules would be nice. For instance, maybe I just want the phaser, and flanger. Maybe $39 per module with some kind of dicount/upgrade path to the full version? That latter piece sounds like a lot of work though.

3. Effect Rack? That's appealing. But it would have to be more than just a container like the SoundToys Rack. To make it worthwhile, there should be things like some global LFO's, a global mix, parallel processing options (maybe options for 2 or 3 frequency-bands with different processing chains, M/S), a ton of presets. Wait, that also sounds like a ton of work...

4. New, "modern U-he filters" in Runctifier does sound awesome.

5. Where is the chorus? In the Flanger? Haven't played with that one yet.

Overall, GUI's look great, new mod slots and browser....really looks like a terrific update for existing owners. Always nice to see how insanely committed you guys are to improving the existing product lineup and doing right by your customers.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:29 pm I never checked out the Uhbik's before but...

1. Would now be a good time to maybe think about changing the names to make them more clear? Examples: "Uhbik A(mbience)' or just "Uhbik Flanger." Not sure if that would break anything as long as the plugin ID's stay the same, but the current naming scheme requires some stopping and thinking for me. Example: "Is 'C' compressor or chorus? Where is the chorus? WHERE IS THE CHORUS!" "Why is 'A' reverb? Oh, Ambience, I get it!"
We have tried this in several hosts. Two or three of the most popular ones can't handle a name change.

(Our "project updater" for Presswerk which rectifies a Plug-In-ID mismatch, also rectifies a problem with plug-in names such as ACE.dll and ACE(x64).dll, but it can not *extend* plug-in names without a chance to corrupt the host project)
2. Selling individual modules would be nice. For instance, maybe I just want the phaser, and flanger. Maybe $39 per module with some kind of dicount/upgrade path to the full version? That latter piece sounds like a lot of work though.
We have been thinking about this a lot. We would have to switch to individual serial per plug-in, which would probably require us to come up with some kind of service center... it's too much atm.

Also, how to fit the rack idea into this?
3. Effect Rack? That's appealing. But it would have to be more than just a container like the SoundToys Rack. To make it worthwhile, there should be things like some global LFO's, a global mix, parallel processing options (maybe options for 2 or 3 frequency-bands with different processing chains, M/S), a ton of presets. Wait, that also sounds like a ton of work...
The idea is 4 slots for FX (just the plain ones, without the mods), various routing options (no MS though since we still want to do surround and MS typically requires individual settings for M and S), possibly a multiband option or two and a double-sized Mod section. I hope we manage a feedback channel for all of them schimmers and glimmers.

(the original inspiration for Uhbik and the back-then-never-finished concept of a multi-effect was the Ensoniq DP-4)
4. New, "modern U-he filters" in Runctifier does sound awesome.
Absolutely. Depends on my time (I'm the filter guy) and I would have to leverage Z3 efforts.
5. Where is the chorus? In the Flanger? Haven't played with that one yet.
Yeah, while the flanger is a "through zero" design, you can break it with an offset parameter - which essentially turns it into a chorus.

So yeah, there isn't really a dedicated chorus. I think I couldn't figure out how to make a weird one.
Overall, GUI's look great, new mod slots and browser....really looks like a terrific update for existing owners. Always nice to see how insanely committed you guys are to improving the existing product lineup and doing right by your customers.
Yeah, hehehe, it's been quite a massive effort planned over a very long time. We always had to deal with other things, but we hope to make the poeple happy who have been waiting for this for way too many years.

Urs wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 pm However, I hope that the Uhbik update will show that we're serious about our long standing commitments...
Totally! Looking forward to Uhbik 2 Rack Extensions. :D ;)

I kid, I kid - Uhbik 2 looks awesome. :party: :tu:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Urs wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:49 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:29 pm I never checked out the Uhbik's before but...

We have tried this in several hosts. Two or three of the most popular ones can't handle a name change.

(Our "project updater" for Presswerk which rectifies a Plug-In-ID mismatch, also rectifies a problem with plug-in names such as ACE.dll and ACE(x64).dll, but it can not *extend* plug-in names without a chance to corrupt the host project)
To be honest, I wouldn't even bother about this. Once you have used the plugin suite a few times, you know easily which is doing what. No stress there, false issue imo.

Urs, wouldn’t the Bazille or Hive filter work in Runciter?

Neon Breath wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:17 pm

To be honest, I wouldn't even bother about this. Once you have used the plugin suite a few times, you know easily which is doing what. No stress there, false issue imo.
A few hosts allow plugin aliasing too (just not 2 out of the 3 I most commonly use).

Great news !
I hope that I am now able to reuse many instances of Uhbiks within 8 FX-Busses.

Requests:

1. Could you please test that many instances of Uhbiks not lead to sluggish GUI response or crashes inside a DAW.
(That's the reason why didn't use it many years)

2. Would it be possible to implement a smart FX-Bypass, so that Uhbiks don't use CPU-Cycles if there is no signal audio input.
3. I also bought Filterscape years ago. Could it also get such nice update.

Beside this, congrat to this wonderfull update !

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:29 pm
We have been thinking about this a lot. We would have to switch to individual serial per plug-in, which would probably require us to come up with some kind of service center... it's too much atm.

Also, how to fit the rack idea into this?

I'd think the "easiest" (and I put that in quotes purposely) way to do it would be to replace all existing Uhbik "Bundle" serial numbers with several individual serial numbers. So my one serial number for "Uhbiks" would be replaced with 9 individual serial numbers for each module (assuming it's 9 - too lazy to confirm). Would make first-time authorization a bit sucky, but seems like it would be easy to maintain on a go-forward.

Or keep the bundle serial numbers, but add individual serial numbers as a fallback method. So if you owned the bundle, you keep it, but if you buy an individual module going forward, you'll get a unique SN for that one module.

And about the Rack? Simple: do a serial number check for all modules. Any non-active modules run in demo mode or are hidden. Modules with a serial number are available in the Rack.

Not a big deal either way. Just brainstorming.

medienhexer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:20 pm Urs, wouldn’t the Bazille or Hive filter work in Runciter?
That's interesting idea. MB Z3?
Murderous duck!

Been using the A and P windows versions together on IK's nylon and classic guitar samples, in linux/wine/reaper, and extremely enjoying the subtleties available.
A little of the P Metallic phaser on the guitars, in the A Fairytail area is
pure recreation 8) Aided by gui's that are stress free.
Then add the D Warm Echo, mixed away until just perceptible :party:

This looks real good! Thank you U-he team!
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

Wow guys, just messed about with the mod matrixes a little bit and this implementation is far beyond anything I had imagined before, or thought the team was up to. Major kudos on something now well worth the wait, a major game changer, especially with the numerous other additions, alterations and improvments.

Will the final version include new & more presets? I own a lot of your plugins but I never purchased Uhbik because I felt there were not enough presets and I did not really like the presets in the older version. I love the new browser though. Thanks for you hard work on plugins like Hive 2, Diva, and Repro.

Return to “u-he”