Decay time can't be modulated in Zebra?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yesterday I got Zebra and Hive and while Hive works as expected with regard to the subject of this topic, Zebra does not.

In Dune 2, I have a habit of modulating the decay time for the filter envelope with a dedicated MSEG (in order for it to be tighter/punchier) and in Hive I can also modulate the decay time on MOD1 with Func1/2 or MOD1/2 (no problem; I get the desired result).

In Zebra I can't - for some reason. I set it up in the mod matrix, but there is just no effect (mod source is MSEG or one of the other envelopes, but regardless, there is no effect).

Am I missing something or .... what (I'm quite familiar with Zebra, but I've never tried modulating the decay time before TBH, so this is a surprise)? :? :scared:

Yeah, Zebra stems from a time where CPU was an extremely valuable currency. To save cost, the rate/duration of any envelope stage is only calculated once, when the respective stage starts. So you can actually modulate it, but the modulation only takes effect in the moment the stage begins. That is, you can't self-modulate stages.

That's why there's a variable slope option, which gives you quite a bit of control over either snappy or punchy sounding envelopes.

Urs wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 pm Yeah, Zebra stems from a time where CPU was an extremely valuable currency. To save cost, the rate/duration of any envelope stage is only calculated once, when the respective stage starts. So you can actually modulate it, but the modulation only takes effect in the moment the stage begins. That is, you can't self-modulate stages.

That's why there's a variable slope option, which gives you quite a bit of control over either snappy or punchy sounding envelopes.
I guess it's a bit idiosyncratic now, although it was perfectly understandable back in the day, but that's ok. :)

Will it be updated/fixed in Zebra 3?

If you just want "punchy", fine-tweak an MSEG. If you want realtime modulation of decay "shape", one workaround that springs to mind is to cross-fade between two envelopes/MSEGs using a mixer module (fade1/2 by 3xC mode). There are surely other solutions waiting to be discovered.
Last edited by Howard on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howard wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:50 am If you just want "punchy", fine-tweak an MSEG. If you want realtime modulation of decay "shape", one workaround that springs to mind is to cross-fade between two envelopes/MSEGs using a mixer module. There are surely other solutions waiting to be discovered...
Using Spire or Hive comes to mind. :D

^depends what else you want in your sound. Zebra2 is still very "relevant" :)

Howard wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 am ^depends what else you want in your sound. Zebra2 is still very "relevant" :)
It is (and I like it quite a bit). And I was glad to buy it (after my financial situation improved somewhat) and I'm more than likely getting Z3 when it comes out as well, but I do have to say I was a bit disappointed about those limitations mentioned here. :)

But, my previous question still stands. :)

Ghost Dog wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:53 pm Will it be updated/fixed in Zebra 3?
Highly likely, I'd say!

Howard wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:21 am
Ghost Dog wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:53 pm Will it be updated/fixed in Zebra 3?
Highly likely, I'd say!
Good stuff. ;)

I had never noticed this as I don’t generally feel the need to modulate envelopes “mid note”. Working around this by using a mixer or a multiplier in the matrix seems the most obvious. I don’t know if the ring modulator will take modulators as inputs, but this can do some fun stuff too.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I think I finally pulled it off in Zebra. Got the non-linear envelopes to behave like the ones in Spire.

I can get in the ball park quickly, but nailing it close to 1:1 takes quite a bit of time for me (but, most of us had quite a bit of free time on our hands, haven't we).

BTW if you get The Dark Zebra, you get Z3 for free whenever it's out. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:56 am BTW if you get The Dark Zebra, you get Z3 for free whenever it's out. :)
Yes, I know about that deal. :) And I have known about it for a very long time (wink, wink). :D

The thing is, in a practical sense, I'm not really that enamoured with The Dark Zebra, TBH (if it offered the sound quality of Hive's engine with Sylenth1's CPU usage, that would be another story and that would very much have my attention).

OTOH, I have pretty high expectations for Zebra 3.

So, if it ever comes out, I'll just pick it up at that more than fair upgrade price they promised.

Well, the resonator effects and twice the MSEGs is generally very useful. Also polyphonic compressors... Diva filters are just a bonus. :P

The CPU hit is NOT.

I don't have HZ's rig (hell, Howard probably doesn't have anything like HZ's rig, let alone me). :)

Return to “u-he”