Diva: why doesn't my mod wheel work when Arp is enabled?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using Diva in Logic Pro 10.4.6

I noticed that my mod wheel doesn't have any effect on patches where the Arp is enabled. For example, if the mod wheel is assigned to filter cutoff it doesn't change the sound. If I disable the Arp, however, then the mod wheel works as expected.

The same thing applies to the pitch bend wheel.

What's the reason for this and how can I fix it?

just tried it: works as expected
same logic version

i created a fresh init
selcted MODwheel instead of LFO2
FreqMod2Depth to 80
engadged ARP
mod wheels opens the VCF cutoff as expected

Hmm, I wonder what's causing this for me then.

This is what I just did:
1. Went to the TEMPLATES folder and opened the preset INIT Jupe-8.
2. Pull the cut-off frequency down
3. Swap out LFO-2 for Mod wheel and give it a positive value
4. Try out the patch: mod wheel changes filter cut-off as expected
5. Engage ARP and hold a note
6. Mod wheel has no effect.

Must be something weird in my setup. I don't get this happening with other soft synths.

OK a bit more testing has revealed that it's something to do with my Nektar Panorama P4 MIDI keyboard. When I tried it with a different MIDI keyboard I don't get the problem.

The weird thing is though that the mod and pitch wheels on the P4 work fine in Diva when the Arp is not engaged. So it doesn't seem like they're broken. Plus I can see the MIDI activity light coming on in Diva to show that the wheels are sending data.

Mysterious.

have a look with midi monitor

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

and see, what the P4 ist spitting out with the modwheel
it should read "control 1 modulation wheel"

Quick guess: You're not sending MIDI on channel 1.

Due to multi-channel MIDI support, Diva receives and plays notes on respective channels, such that different notes can have separate controller data (base idea of MPE, but executed in a more general approach).

The arpeggiator however receives MIDI notes on all channels but only sends on Channel 1, while controller data is still passed through on their respective channels.

It never occurred to me that this might be a problem. There is however some reasoning behind this. Arpeggios are traditionally used to emulate chords with monophonic instruments (or to use single voices when full chords would overwhelm). We assume people would use Diva's arpeggiator in mono or legato mode most of the time, such that Diva acts like a mono synth and does not iterate through voices. I.e. you'd generally hear the same voice for each note. Therefore, we did not want "jumps" in controller data by switching MIDI channels during arpeggios. And also of course, in legato mode it would be impossible to iterate voices/channels.

Writing this, I'm feeling that multi-channel arpeggios (don't ask for poly ones...) might offer some opportunity as well (and fix the issue). I'll keep this in mind for future updates.

- U

Urs wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 am Quick guess: You're not sending MIDI on channel 1.
Ah yes. Exactly right. I have my different hardware MIDI controllers set up to use different channels on Logic so that I can use them at the same time to control different instruments. My Prophet 6 is on channel 1, which must be why the mod wheel works on that keyboard but not for the Panorama, which is set to channel 2.

For now I can probably get around this most of the time by making sure that if I want to use Diva it will be on channel 1. I guess the only real issue will be if I want to use 2 different, arpeggiating instances of Diva and control them at the same time.

Good to know where the problem is.

Return to “u-he”