Why do YOU love Diva?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought Diva some years ago before Repro-5 was released, to supplement the mono greatness of Repro-1 with a poly synth.
But then Repro-5 came along. Oh, the sound of it!
I still used Diva for some pads whenever I needed that (which really isn't that often).
And then I fell in love with Bazille for exploring sounds. And Hive2 really blew my mind with it's possibilities and quick workflow, and then there's of course Zebra2 giving the feeling that this synth can actually do everything imaginable!

Well, the result is that Diva tends to be the synth that wasn't picked today either.
I actually insist on using it quite often simply because I feel kind of bad for it. I want to love it!
Diva's manual is probably the one I've read the most closely, as I truly wish to find something I don't prefer to use one of U-he's other synths for.

Well, I know there's a lot of love for Diva. So please: Share it!
Why do YOU love Diva?
Is my lack of nostalgia and the fact that I never really dreamt of a Juno synth the problem here?

Bazille is hands down my favorite synth, and at time I wish I could use Diva's flavors in Bazille, would be mind-blowing.
Anyway I've made a whole LP solely with Diva, because of how inspiring it sounds and its mix and match features (which is criminally under-rated). It's quite a fantastic synth really, like a huge versatile sweet spot.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

How to summarize the awesomeness that is Diva? No summary will do it full justice.

Yet I feel inclined to try, knowing full well that I will fail, and fail miserably.

Diva is...perfect. There, I said it.

I approach Diva as if she were the Zebra of the monster analog synths. She lovingly constrains me into full creativity, because zero contraints are the death of creativity. And in that process, allows me to create anything which I can hear in my mind, and bestows creative surprises which my mind has never dreamt of. She is perfect for me, and that is why I love Diva. :love:

To me Diva wasn't love at first sight. I bought it and rarely used it, although I knew that diva sounds great. Then plugmon released his AIKO skin and since that day Diva is used almost daily. It looks awesome and is a huge improvement over the original UI. There is also the fantastic looking Volta skin but I prefer plugmons skin, because of the rings that show you the modulation depth.

You can call me superficial, but that's my story with Diva.

clangorous wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 pm I approach Diva as if she were the Zebra of the monster analog synths. She lovingly constrains me into full creativity, because zero contraints are the death of creativity. And in that process, allows me to create anything which I can hear in my mind, and bestows creative surprises which my mind has never dreamt of. She is perfect for me, and that is why I love Diva. :love:
Well, I did actually find this really inspiring. Thanks to all of you!
So I've been playing around with it a lot more. Doing stranger things.
I think I too easily think of Diva as a good source for great keys, fat pads, stuff to play melodies and chords and tonal music with. Which it is. But which is where Repro and Hive also shines so bright for me.

But maybe the key here (for me) is that Diva also can be this sound machine for experiments, the same way I use Bazille, Hive or Zebra. 'Cause Diva really is fun when things aren't set straight. And the sound sure doesn't disappoint.
The Zebra of monster analog synths. That's a Diva I can love. :D

The semi-modular possibilities, the sound of the filters, the reverb (!!!), the tweakability of the voices and the lay-out (especially with the volta skin)

Dive sounds beautiful

TBH, the GUI, and the complexity of customizations of the analog imperfections get too much in my way to actually love Diva. I like it nonetheless. :) It's really nice to have all those different filters and oscillators in a single plugins.

krans wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 am
clangorous wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 pm I approach Diva as if she were the Zebra of the monster analog synths. She lovingly constrains me into full creativity, because zero contraints are the death of creativity. And in that process, allows me to create anything which I can hear in my mind, and bestows creative surprises which my mind has never dreamt of. She is perfect for me, and that is why I love Diva. :love:
Well, I did actually find this really inspiring. Thanks to all of you!
So I've been playing around with it a lot more. Doing stranger things.
I think I too easily think of Diva as a good source for great keys, fat pads, stuff to play melodies and chords and tonal music with. Which it is. But which is where Repro and Hive also shines so bright for me.

But maybe the key here (for me) is that Diva also can be this sound machine for experiments, the same way I use Bazille, Hive or Zebra. 'Cause Diva really is fun when things aren't set straight. And the sound sure doesn't disappoint.
The Zebra of monster analog synths. That's a Diva I can love. :D
Yes! And it's not everyone that loves digging deep into making sounds. But if you do then Diva and Zebra are incredible and beautiful. You can just listen to ONE patch and fall in love with either synth. Zebra CM was what did it for me, and I've been a U-he fan ever since.

For those that struggle with Diva, the U-he tutorials are really good; essential I'd say.

But for those that "just" love the sound, U-he gives us an abundance of presets and there are tons of other sound sets both free and commercial to enable making music forever.

What's not to love? :phones:

Diva sounds incredible to me until this day, It never fails me at delivering great sounds and to me it is the U.he synth that is the more playable maybe because it is also one of the most simple ones. It was my second u.he synth after ACE which I rarely use.

I coudln't get with bazille, too deep for me and not exactly the paradigm of modular i enjoy (i like more reaktor blocks).

Repro is great but honestly the sound overlaps a lot with Diva.

Hive, had it and sold it, it was nice but at the end II just like the sound of diva more.
dedication to flying

Hey guys, can i ask you when you use diva and repro 1/5 what is the sample rate of your project ? 44 ? 48 ?
I ask because i think i have made a huge mistake since i begin to record at 192 khz my song... is the secret of these synth are not show in 44khz ?

Diva sounds great, is easy to program, can get dirty when she wants to, and has a huge sweet spot. My synth usage has developed (or deteriorated, depending on your point of view) to a point where I like to use simple sounds. Diva excels at simple sounds that still sound good and powerful on their own, without a ton of effects.

Diva's presets are like prog rock or something. That is why, repro and hive have more snappy techno type sounds in the presets. Diva needs to update its presets.

Diva i think sounds better than repro. But i had to learn to find the init patch and start from scratch to really see that this is a jupiter 8 in its soul. Its that damn good.

DF

ariston wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 pm Diva sounds great, is easy to program, can get dirty when she wants to, and has a huge sweet spot. <snip> Diva excels at simple sounds that still sound good and powerful on their own, without a ton of effects.
My thoughts exactly. Diva is my favorite VA synth because of the above.

The u-he synth line just clicks for me, with Zebra/Zebra HZ being my favorite. Hive and Diva then have their place behind Zebra in my sonic arsenal.

Diva strengths to me are,
It's a Moog emulation,
It's an analogue & digital Roland emulation,
It's an MS20 distorted filter emulation.

You could combine the smoothness of a Roland filter, with the snappy-ness of a Moog envelope or the aggression of a MS20 filter.

It has greater modulation potential than Repro.
It can do super saws.
You can reset the phase of the oscillators.
Per voice slop control .
Control the voice detune and drift amount

Repro has amazing effects that I hope to see in Diva and Zebra (Repro 5's distortion, Satin, Repro 1's Jaws)

I also have Repro.

Return to “u-he”