Hive 2 wavetables for LFOs?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hive 2 is absolutely amazing but what I would love to see is the ability to load wavetables into the LFOs. That would be a massive modulation expansion. The only synth I know that does that is Absynth. Please consider adding this superpower to Hive 2!

I have thought about this but I haven’t been able to reach a conclusion. As yummy as it sounds, there’s a whole lot of complexity involved, and the question if it then indeed needs an editor.

Well I hope you will still do it. It is a quick, simple and easy way to get complex and unusual modulation. It's my favorite feature of Absynth.

Urs wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:30 am I have thought about this but I haven’t been able to reach a conclusion. As yummy as it sounds, there’s a whole lot of complexity involved, and the question if it then indeed needs an editor.
I would just allow the option to load (or import / drag & drop) wavetables and if it is technically possible, apply settings from WT editor 1, 2 or random settings from editor 1, 2

Help me understand if this truly would give me something new in terms of results. If I'm understanding this, you would load a wave into the LFO wave table and it would lower it's frequency. At that point it becomes a series variously shaped peaks and valleys...which we can already create with a lot of control in Hive using the shape sequencer. And the mod matrix lets me do further crazy stuff to that. All very controllable, and unpredictable enough for exploring, and easy workflow. What am I missing?

clangorous wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 pm Help me understand if this truly would give me something new in terms of results. If I'm understanding this, you would load a wave into the LFO wave table and it would lower it's frequency. At that point it becomes a series variously shaped peaks and valleys...which we can already create with a lot of control in Hive using the shape sequencer. And the mod matrix lets me do further crazy stuff to that. All very controllable, and unpredictable enough for exploring, and easy workflow. What am I missing?
I don't think it would result in anything not already possible by intermodulating existing sources, other than saving a little time and mouse clicks for those not wanting to explore the current offering.
Always Read the Manual!

Well, it would make sense if for instance there was a little text input field for uhm scripts maybe...

Sounds interesting... but basically, there is enough modulation in Hive. I would rather see a few more filter options and some different noise types.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:25 pm Sounds interesting... but basically, there is enough modulation in Hive. I would rather see a few more filter options and some different noise types.
This gets my vote :tu:
Always Read the Manual!

pdxindy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:25 pm Sounds interesting... but basically, there is enough modulation in Hive. I would rather see a few more filter options and some different noise types.
<beta team internal knowledge mode>
What about the ModNoise we're adding to Uhbik? I think that would be a good modifier for any kind of noises, or, adding some kind of noise to anything not yet noisy.
<public mode>

Tentative yes to new filter types as well, but there would be a price to pay - CPU being the currency. I don't think we can add more variants of high/band/low pass without adding a lot of extra code. Anything else (comb filters etc) would need to be computed in addition to existing filters, because all 4 filters (2 x stereo) are already being processed using parallelisation through SIMD.

Moving from stair case to saw to triangle to sine ripples would be amazing. Absynth and Zet3a are the only synths I know of that can modulate LFO wave shapes. It is extremely powerful especially when midi mapped to a knob or controlled by an envelope.

Urs wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:30 am I have thought about this but I haven’t been able to reach a conclusion. As yummy as it sounds, there’s a whole lot of complexity involved, and the question if it then indeed needs an editor.
I would have it without an editor if that is going to hold it up or prevent it from happening all together. Just allow a user file directory or drag and drop.

Editable lfos?!?! Drag and drop waveforms?!?! Too bad the code for such isn't drag and drop and done I guess...

jackmazzotti wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:40 pm Moving from stair case to saw to triangle to sine ripples would be amazing. Absynth and Zet3a are the only synths I know of that can modulate LFO wave shapes. It is extremely powerful especially when midi mapped to a knob or controlled by an envelope.
Try Falcon 2's parametric LFO's or Serum's X/Y assignable coordinates in LFO's, just to name a few...
That said, I think a lot of modulation complexity can already obtained by using the shape sequencer and the function generator in Hive 2(or a combination of those). Just look in the scope window for the modulation curves you can obtain with this.

Why not get rid of the shape section the way it is now, and replace with a shape editor? This way you aren't constrained to those blocks. You can still keep abc and d, just allow each of the 4 to have its own editor?

Return to “u-he”