u-he VST3 synths display parameter units strangely in Ableton Live

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm seeing this with latest VST3 versions of u-he synths (Diva, Zebra 2, Hive 2, Repro) in Ableton Live 10.1 on Windows 10 64-bit:

u-he-vst3-params-in-ableton.png

Looks like Japanese or maybe Chinese? Oh hmm, I thought Diva was doing the same thing a moment ago but now it looks like this:

diva-strange-param-unit.png

So it may be displaying some random-ish unicode character?

I have yet to find another VST3 that exhibits this behavior, which is why I'm reporting this here rather than with Ableton (although I can report this to them too if you think that would be helpful). VST2 is fine.

I have never had Windows or Live set to use anything other than US English so I don't think it's due to me misconfiguring something.

Let me know if you need more info about my computer to diagnose.

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Our plugins currently only report units in their VST2 versions.
The VST3 versions simply only report the parameter value, but no unit to the host.

In Live 10.1 on Mac, this looks fine, no strange symbols showing up.
On Windows, I am seeing the same symbols as you.

Since the VST3 format has just been introduced in Live with Live 10.1, this might be an issue of Live in case a plugin does not report a unit for the parameter.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 am Since the VST3 format has just been introduced in Live with Live 10.1, this might be an issue of Live in case a plugin does not report a unit for the parameter.
Almost certainly. Personally I see VST3 implementation at this stage as simply getting the ball rolling, so that when VST2 is eventually dropped altogether, it will be working properly and the transition will be a smooth(er) one. Right now I don't see any significant advantage to use VST3 over VST2 in Live.
Always Read the Manual!

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 am Our plugins currently only report units in their VST2 versions.
The VST3 versions simply only report the parameter value, but no unit to the host.

In Live 10.1 on Mac, this looks fine, no strange symbols showing up.
On Windows, I am seeing the same symbols as you.

Since the VST3 format has just been introduced in Live with Live 10.1, this might be an issue of Live in case a plugin does not report a unit for the parameter.
I've seen this issue only with u-he VST3 plugins. You can see the same characters in the automation lanes too. Sometimes only a square is shown.
I reported this to Ableton a few months ago.
(I'm on Windows 10 btw).

this might be an issue of Live in case a plugin does not report a unit for the parameter.
I reported this to Ableton a few months ago.
Cool. I will re-report it. Maybe it will get them to take a look sooner.
I don't see any significant advantage to use VST3 over VST2 in Live
The indirect benefit is to find bugs and help developers fix them. This seems especially important right now because I heard Steinberg has stopped issuing development license for VST2, so we are approaching the point where VST3 will be the only option available for newer plugins.

Ableton acknowledged the bug and they can reproduce it too.

Return to “u-he”