MIDI CC numbers question

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First time using MIDI CC. I'm mapping
Hive 2 parameters to begin with to a MIDI Fighter Twister and I have a question about the CC numbers.

By default, the encoders of the Twister are on channel 1 and the CC numbers begin at 0. It appears that 0 is not a number that can be selected in Hive's MIDI table, however, and 2 controls the mod wheel even when mapped to other parameters. I haven't progressed further yet to discover any other potential conflicts.

I have the ability to specify different CC numbers for the encoders, but I just wanted to know if I cannot use or should avoid using certain numbers to prevent any conflicts like with the mod wheel?

CC#0 is reserved for bank select in conjunction with MIDI Program Changes. I'm not sure if it can be assigned in our software.

The ModWheel is typically CC#1 and thus possibly reserved as well.

Yes, I should have said CC#1 for mod wheel, not 2.

Should I only use "undefined" numbers?

https://www.midi.org/specifications-old ... ta-bytes-2

I was aware of this table, but it seemed curious to me that the Twister uses 0-63 by default, which implies you can safely use these numbers. Given that Hive allows me to use these numbers too (excluding 0) I further assumed there'd be no issues with reserved numbers.

Use any up to 119, but not 0 (bank select), 1 (mod wheel), whatever "Control A" and "Control B" are set to (2 and 11 by default) or 64 (hold pedal). Avoid 120 to 127 (channel mode messages are considered "dangerous").
Last edited by Howard on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Howard! Much appreciated.

Howard wrote: ↑Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:38 pm Use any up to 119, but not 0 (bank select), 1 (mod wheel), whatever "Control A" and "Control B" are set to (2 and 11 by default) as well as 64 (hold pedal). Avoid 120 to 127 (channel mode messages are considered "dangerous").
Howard or Urs, I've one other issue with MIDI mapping. My encoders have two different modes, one transmitting on channel 1 and the other channel 5. For some reason my u-He synths aren't recognising the messages sent over channel 5 through the MIDI learn page or when mapping via the MIDI Table.

The encoders are indeed sending messages on channel 5 in their secondary mode as I am able to use Live's MIDI Map Mode Switch to map the channel 5 encoders directly to Live device parameters and even u-He synth parameters if the parameters have been configured for display in Live's panel. But using the MIDI mapping features inside your synths it doesn't work. Only channel 1 appears to work. Maybe it's an Ableton Live problem with all plug-ins?

This works, but this doesn't work.

Dim Vision wrote: ↑Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:23 pm Only channel 1 appears to work. Maybe it's an Ableton Live problem with all plug-ins?.
That's just how Live works.

By default, if you load a VST instrument, Live will send the MIDI data to the instrument on MIDI channel 1.
If you want to send MIDI CC from another MIDI channel to the instrument, you have to create an additional MIDI track in Live, then you have a "MIDI to" field at the bottom of the channel, where you can select to which instrument and on which MIDI channel you want to send the data. Then of course you have to record arm that track (the red button at the bottom of the channel), so that it receives the MIDI data.
Then Diva will receive the CC data on channel 5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Return to β€œu-he”