Hive 2.0

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Totally blown away by this update. Takes about 10 seconds to get from any patch to total soundscape mayhem bliss territory with the new modulators.

It's like the old Hive had sex with a modular synth. Incredible.

I never expected it to get that good. Thanks to Urs and the team, now there comes a wasted evening.

ZaBong69 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:11 pm It's like the old Hive had sex with a modular synth. Incredible.
:clap: yes!
Always Read the Manual!

hehe, yes.

That's, like, the best description ever.

Hive is 'officially' mature now... :wink:

Urs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:22 pm We have plans for an alternative skin, but as our teaser got destroyed by some people, there are no plans to follow through with that design ("military style meets Barbie").
EXCUSE ME!!!!
Military Style Meets BARBIE!!! I need that one! COME ON! let the people choose!
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask....

Garzita wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:18 pm
Urs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:22 pm We have plans for an alternative skin, but as our teaser got destroyed by some people, there are no plans to follow through with that design ("military style meets Barbie").
EXCUSE ME!!!!
Military Style Meets BARBIE!!! I need that one! COME ON! let the people choose!
Isnt its the same one now? just a little bit more detailed and polished.

Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:20 pm Isnt its the same one now? just a little bit more detailed and polished.
hmmm... I think he is talking about a teaser image that got posted around here in the forums, but I may be wrong
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask....

EvilDragon wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 pm That's, like, the best description ever.
Lol
yes
sound sculptist

Here's a text which I prepared which didn't get used:

"Hive 2.0 is largely a tribute to modular synthesis, disguised as a simple standard softsynth. Most of this stuff is only on the modulation side, but the audio side has had wavetable synthesis based on a mathematical scripting language for a while, so it kind of does FM and all that stuff.

Anyhow, I sneaked Function Generators into Hive. Hive was always our synth with the most basic feature set. Naturally, many experienced people found it a tad too simple compared to our other synths. People wanted more LFOs, more envelopes, more this, more that. So we gave them a hint of westcoast. Note that in Hive you don't need multiples, VCAs or stackables: Any knob can be modulated by any number of available ModMatrix slots.

We furthermore added Rectifiers, Curve Modifiers, Slew Limiters, Quantizers and Sample & Holds into each of 24 ModMatrix target slots. And we also added an option to modulate oscillators in a user defined scale. These are all features I often use in my Eurorack.

Lastly, we devised some kind of super simple to use pattern and envelope generator, called a Shape Sequencer. This really is something I wish I had as a module, but I wouldn't know how to build it. You can create 8 Shape segments made out of a min and max value, a base shape (saw, square, triangle), a curve modifier and "continuous ratchets". Out of these 8 shapes you can create 4 selections which act as independent modulation sources with their own speed, trigger behaviour and order. Almost all parameters are modulatable in a simple way, e.g. you can modulate the ratchets of selected segments with one ModMatrix slot.

So yeah, while Hive is certainly not a modular synth, my Eurorack adventure had a vast impact on it."

Garzita wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:20 pm Isnt its the same one now? just a little bit more detailed and polished.
hmmm... I think he is talking about a teaser image that got posted around here in the forums, but I may be wrong
Now im curious to see that!

Urs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:48 pm So yeah, while Hive is certainly not a modular synth, my Eurorack adventure had a vast impact on it."
:)

What's up with the GUI? It's really sluggish, like 10 fps and even stutter... Win 10, Bitwig 2-3, i5-3450, 16 GB, GTX 1080ti.

edit: Rebooted my PC and it's better (no stutter) but still feel like there's some form of smoothing applied when you change controls and I really don'y like that.
Last edited by xx JPRacer xx on Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The pink GUI did look interesting. Why do you say it was destroyed? All I ever wanted was to do was draw more attention to Hive 2.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

1. Is there in the sequencer a way to copy or move a wave form from one segment to another? If not, I like to see this added.

2. At the moment a double click in the little segment selector inverts the wave form (edit action) and a double click in the hexagon resets the curvature to the default (kind of undo). I like to see this swapped.

All the things you do in the hexagon are edit actions to shape the waveform (dragging, scrolling, right clicking etc.). Inverting the wave form is also an edit function so it makes more sense to double click in the hexagon to invert the waveform, keeping all editing functions together.
Resetting can then be done by double clicking the little shape.

Return to “u-he”