Hive 2.0

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Ahh reinstalled, must not of installed the presets right first time.
Last edited by Hexfix93 on Wed May 29, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:30 am
Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:24 am OK i will be honest, working on a project with Hive 2 is a bit hard and annoying in FL Studio, because unlike previous Hive 1.2, every time i have to close the plugin otherwise whole FL Studio GUI just stutters/lags. Wavetable and scope are hidden.
It's one of the next major challenges.

We might have an improvement in a few weeks, but I guess we have to start working on Vulkan support (Metal on macOS).
Same problem in Renoise 64-bit using PC Win 7 64-bit, the interface and sound stutters really bad. It works better in Reason and Reaper though.

I'm using it in renoise, and some patches make the system performance bog and lag, its on my i5 intel graphics laptop tho, have not tried it on the studio machine because i am on tour. but if i close the window, it fixes it. hmmm.

hex

Hello,

How do I change the default init patch. Before I had the init patch using only a saw wave but since some time I have an arp playing?

In the right corner is the Option to make the patch the default one. But somehow this doesn’t work for me?

Nice update :) There was a pink-ish looking interface on the u-he site which teased Hive 2 before it came out, any chance that could make it in as an official alternative skin? Or the orange look of the original Hive?

hihu wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:00 pm Hello,

How do I change the default init patch. Before I had the init patch using only a saw wave but since some time I have an arp playing?

In the right corner is the Option to make the patch the default one. But somehow this doesn’t work for me?
Save a patch named "default" into the root folder ("Local"). This patch will load whenever you create a new instance of Hive, instead of the sequence.

GrandVelocity wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 pm Nice update :) There was a pink-ish looking interface on the u-he site which teased Hive 2 before it came out, any chance that could make it in as an official alternative skin? Or the orange look of the original Hive?
We have plans for an alternative skin, but as our teaser got destroyed by some people, there are no plans to follow through with that design ("military style meets Barbie").

A little feature request for you to consider.
Ability to sort the mod matrix on source. So you can have all your LFO1, LFO2, .. assignments next to each other instead of spread along the slots. (Sorting on target won't be possible).

That sounds like a pretty great thing to have!

Urs wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:37 am Yeah, it's something that I didn't think of since I never use those presets. We'll add that and copy/paste at some point, but we need a little break first.
ah! cool! thank you :-)

:clap:

in v1.x there was the possibility to save the keyboard/modmatrix view via the
"set current as default" ctrl-click

has this gone?
can't find it anymore...

muki wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:03 pm in v1.x there was the possibility to save the keyboard/modmatrix view via the
"set current as default" ctrl-click

has this gone?
can't find it anymore...
It's gone since there are now more options and the whole things is arranged differently.

Not sure if we need to bring that back, it didn't seem to ever be a big deal.

thanks for the quick answer!

hmm..i loved it
i'm not that interested in the keyboard view...
...and always switching to the matrix-view is...well..another mousiing effort...

another question:
regarding gui and modulators (AMP/MOD/LFO...)
is there any reason (besides aestetics?), that AMP1/2 are written in light blue and the others in (dark) grey ?

because:
if a mod source would get the light blue colour as soon as it is actively modulating something
(i.e.: becomes an active mod source) it would be a nice instant overview of what's going on (in re modulation)

now it is a little bit of kind of hide&seek

Butwug wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:47 am Haven't had much time to try out the update, but the shape sequencer is super dope!

One thing I haven't figured out yet is the function tab. Read the manual to see if I could make out what it does but couldn't figure it out. Not saying the manual is poorly written, but I'm 100% sure it's because my synth skills are poorly developed :lol: If someone can explain this with something simple to understand, such as how it can be applied to cutoff, I would appreciate it! Tried using the cross hairs on the rise/still/env but failed miserably and it's gonna bother me all day at work.

I didn't want to switch from Hive 1.x due to me missing the old layout and UI, but the 30min I just spent with it made me forget all about 1.x :D Did I mention the shape sequencer is super dope?!
[Cross-posted from the Instruments thread.]

Here's where I'm at with Function Generators (FGs). Hope you have Hive in front of you. If so, try following these steps to see if they help you make sense of the FG's.

Load up an Init patch (right click the preset name and select INIT). Let's ignore the Slope for a second. Keep Function 1 in "Envelope" mode, keep input to "None." Attach F1 "Env" to the Scope so you can see what's happening. What we have is a simple Attack/Decay envelope. Now each time you press a note, an envelope will trigger. With Attack and Decay at 0, these look like trigger signals: quick spikes. If the attack is 0 and decay is around 3 o'clock. It will look like a saw shape. If both are at 3 o'clock, it looks like a triangle shape (ramp up and ramp down). If Attack is slow and decay is at zero, it'll look like a reverse saw. So now you've got two extra, simple, A/D envelopes between F1 and F2 that you can use to modulate things as needed. Think of Roland synths that use A/D envelopes to modulate pitch as one example.

Now, change the Mode of F1 to Cylcle On/Off. Change Attack to 3 o'clock and Decay to 3 o'clock, and Slope to noon. Check out the Scope. You'll see that you've turned it from an envelope to a Triangle LFO. Now you've got a 2 extra LFO's in case you need them. Change the Attack/Decay/Slope to change the shape of your LFO. Notice how it's not a triangle any longer, and kind of ramps up and down with a curve. Fun, new modulation shape. Fun, new LFO's you can use to modulate whatever you want with by dragging F1 Env to a modulation target.

For now, let's go back to our triangle LFO shape (Attack and Decay at 3 o'clock, Slope at noon, Input at None, and Mode to Cycle On/Off). On the left of F1, there are options for Rise and Still. Click and drag each into the Scope to see what each does. Rise will send an On type signal whenever the triangle LFO increases, and send an Off signal whenever the triangle LFO is headed back downwards. This means your LFO or Envelope can also act as a Gate-type signal at the exact same time. So that one function generator can act as an Envelope/LFO and Gate signal at the same time.

Alright, but what about Still mode? Go back to your triangle LFO. Nothing is happening in the scope. What's that do? Still is kind of an anti-gate. If nothing in FG1 is moving, Still sends an On signal and as soon as something starts moving it sends an Off signal. So right now, our triangle LFO means something is constantly moving so Still is constantly sending an Off signal. So to see how Still works in action, let's go back to our Triangle LFO and add an Input signal. Use Gate as your Input on FG1. Now, when you're not pressing a note, our triangle LFO is off. As a result, you'll see Still sends a constant On signal. Press a note, and FG1 Env turns into our Triangle LFO shape (i.e. it's moving again), which causes Still to send an off signal. So as long as nothing else is happening in FG1, still is sending a full blast signal. As soon as modulation occurs, Still stops. It's just another way you can modulate other signals.

Note: at this point, you may want to go back to LFO mode. But hey, where is Input = None from before? "None" is not an option in the Input dropdown. Use Input = "Constant" instead.

I think that's the most basic way to wrap your head around the Function generators. Just keep the scope open and play with them until you get what's happening. Don't even worry too much about modulating anything with them until you get a grasp of what's going on. Once you get that figured out, you can then start combining modulations and/or using the modifiers in the matrix for crazy modulations based on the basic FG's.

Hope that helps!

Return to “u-he”