Uhbik 2 wishlist

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I don't know if Urs has projects for Uhbik, Zebra 3 is probably at the top of the list but it would be nice to have a new version with a guitarist mode (rack a la Guitar Rig 5). What do you think about it?

Im sure he confirmed that they’re working on uhbik and it’s supposed to get updated this year, but don’t nail me on that. Even some kind of rack stuff was planned if I remember correctly - but then again - waiting for uhe staff to come by and comment...

tappert wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:12 pm ... new version with a guitarist mode...
Could you elaborate on what exactly that is, just so we all know what's what?

Viktor
u-he team

Sounds to me like a container to load multiple Uhbiks in. Like what Soundtoys have. IMHO pretty useless in any DAW that has routing facilities worth some salt...

tappert wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:12 pm Hi,

I don't know if Urs has projects for Uhbik, Zebra 3 is probably at the top of the list but it would be nice to have a new version with a guitarist mode (rack a la Guitar Rig 5). What do you think about it?
Ahh, I think he's talking about a shell. Meaning, the Uhbik suite could present it self as a single rack (an effects chain). Therein, a pick-bin of effects (the Uhbik plugin suite, plus others perhaps); internal routing; other tools, like a tuner, a looper-recorder, a scope/spectrum analyser, etc.
PLUS, a rip-roaring U-he distortion effect that doesn't exist yet (or maybe does?)!

I usually add different effects (comp, chorus, delay and so on) so I have to add n instances in the fx send section (Cubase) and switch between each plugin to adjust the parameters till I get the sound I'm looking for. Guitar Rig is a poor amp sim but I think the GUI is easier to use with every effect in a virtual rack. An image is more meaningful:

In the right pane, you can add the effects you want for your preset and adjust everything in the same place instead of loading each plugin seperately. (19" rack mode)

Or an horizontal view like Blue cat audio did in Axiom (pedalboard mode)

A single Uhbik instance containing Uhbik-A, Uhbik-D, Uhbik-F, Uhbik-G, Uhbik-P, Uhbik-Q, Runciter, Uhbik-S, Uhbik-T on the left that I could drag & drop on the right pane to chain the desired effects (with a simplified interface to reduce the size if needed).

However, I suppose it would be too much work for an update.

Carla does the trick for me: https://kx.studio/Applications:Carla
Remember, a big advantage of this is portability. Say I want to run effects in a small box, like the Atomic Pi: https://dlidirect.com/products/atomic-pi

Btw, Zebrify is a great guitar/bass processor. I ask for a U-he distortion unit, but it's already there in Zebrify, albeit much more. I use it for bass guitar distortion--which can be quite tricky--all the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sounds just like Reason's Combinator if that's part of what is planned.

Shells/Containers/Chainers/Whatever are good if they have modulation tools built in.

lnikj wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:51 pm Shells/Containers/Chainers/Whatever are good if they have modulation tools built in.
+1.

If you're gonna do it, offer some modulation (matrix slots, LFO's) and/or parallel and m/s type routing options, not to mention a global mix on top of the individual mix levels. Otherwise, the racks just don't add value. But if the rack can be a self-contained semi-modular effect host (note: don't mean hosting third-party effects), then by all means! :tu:

I was disappointed that Sound Toys never did more with their rack. Same for Slate with VMR, or even Waves, which could've done something great and bonkers with WavesShell instead of whatever it currently does. If someone's gonna do a multi-effect rack, they should look to Eventide or Byome for inspiration. Make it semi modular, patchable, add some LFO's, macros, etc.

I feel like U-he would totally get this concept and not only pull it off but also figure out how to do so while keeping the ease of use in a nice, happy place.

Hmmm... I think I have a déjà-vu...
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

Yes, UHBIK-X is under development since more than ten years! It must become great!

But what about UHBIK-Y - splitter/combiner and UHBIK-Z - morphing digital filers influenced by EMU.
Murderous duck!

First there will be the opening of BER the new Berlin airport and then ZEBRA 4 !

I would love to see a rack version. Absolutely awesome would be a modulation system like the one in KiloHearts Snap Heap with Envelopes and LFO's :love: ... or something like the dictator in Sugar Bytes Turnado. Why? Build ups and drop downs are essential for electronic music. Everybody uses them ... from countless mainroom producers to geniuses like Jon Hopkins. A built-in modulation system is (sometimes) much more comfortable than drawing modulation curves for different effects (especially in Cubase :roll: ). Turnado and Snap Heap are great for that purpose, but both have their weak spots ... and if there is somebody that is uncompromising about weak spots, it's u-he :wink: ... ok ... except UI-design, but the latest UI's are a big jump (Hive2, Colour Copy ...) :clap: ... and the rest is a job for plugmon.

But I'm just dreaming, I know the guys at u-he are busy enough.

Return to “u-he”