U-he The Cat

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kylie wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:45 pmUrs, did you already start development and stopped it for making Repro-5? If so, is there a prototype we could at least take a look at?
There was no prototype of The Cat. There's a prototype of certain Zebra 3 things, tho. :D

I am all for monosynths with greater capabilities and effects. Repro One, The Legend, and Monark are three of my faves.

Sort of a bleak conversation. i'm not remotely interested in another hardware emulation, but would pay good money for a modern sounding, stripped back (feature-wise) monosynth (similar to what NI did with the TRK-01, but i'm a much bigger fan of u-he's low end). There doesn't seem to be the interest, though. Everyone just wants 800 modulation slots and twenty thousand voices of unison.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 amThere's a prototype of certain Zebra 3 things, tho. :D
:o Wow really?! How does it sound? Can you talk about it??
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

I’ve tried to deliberately ignore ED’s post (for the sake of GAS), but I can’t help  « +1ing » spunkmuffin’s ^^

So, +1 ;)
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

spunkmuffin wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 amThere's a prototype of certain Zebra 3 things, tho. :D
I heard nothing, but saw some intersting concepts Urs is developing (this was back in October last year, though). I'll leave the rest of teasing to him. :D

EvilDragon wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 pm
spunkmuffin wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 pm
I heard nothing, but saw some intersting concepts Urs is developing (this was back in October last year, though). I'll leave the rest of teasing to him. :D
I think it makes sound again...

I have learned not to tease too much anymore. I get stuck on KVR and can't ever finish anything.

(I was gonna tease some Hive 2.0 presets but then was glad I hadn't had the time to do demos)

voidhead23 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm Sort of a bleak conversation. i'm not remotely interested in another hardware emulation, but would pay good money for a modern sounding, stripped back (feature-wise) monosynth (similar to what NI did with the TRK-01, but i'm a much bigger fan of u-he's low end). There doesn't seem to be the interest, though. Everyone just wants 800 modulation slots and twenty thousand voices of unison.
Interesting example. On the one hand, it's a monosynth in a current product line. On the other hand, NI gave the core of it away for free last Christmas. So, is it worth much without the sequencer that combines the two elements?

Also, there's no reason that it can't have a poly mode, so I'm not sure that it's really supportive of the concept. My guess is that NI chose not to so as not to disturb the workflow. I get that. It's part of the reason that I like monosynths too, but yes, people want everything to do everything. To be clear, you can't just add voices, you have to modify the structure, but the core engine is perfectly compatible with polyphony and some of the included sounds make for fantastic pads.

Urs wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pmI have learned not to tease too much anymore. I get stuck on KVR and can't ever finish anything.
Very wise. I can wait. One thing at a time, Hive first. 8)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Triple post, Oh noes!
Last edited by voidhead23 on Wed May 15, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Double post.
Last edited by voidhead23 on Wed May 15, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 pm Interesting example. On the one hand, it's a monosynth in a current product line. On the other hand, NI gave the core of it away for free last Christmas. So, is it worth much without the sequencer that combines the two elements?
To me, it definitely is. i wasn't interested at all in the kick module or the sequencer, but once they decoupled them, the bass module became my most used synth. i'm tempted to buy the full version and get stuff i'll never use just to express with my wallet how useful this plugin has been to actually make music. But again, the fact that they just gave it away is a good indicator of how people feel about mono-softies (it's also currently free in the Komplete Start package). So then they come out with Super 8, the same crap everyone is doing (hey guys, let's make another VA poly...).

i like instruments with limitations, but also creative additions (like the oscillator 'FX' on the waveshapes in the Minibrute, for example), that force you to come up with creative ways to make new sounds instead of giving you everything you could ever want right at the outset...which is why i also really like to use Zebralette, even though i own Zebra (HZ). Instruments without limitation are great when i have an exact sound in my head, but limited instruments (with an awesome base sound) actually open up possibilities i would have never thought of if i had every option under the sun. This helps me make music, make much more personal sounds, and that aspect's worth is almost incalculable to me. The problem is, i'm not looking for a hardware recreation...at all, which is the only place where these limited instruments are developed, like Repro-1 (i never use the poly version), TAL-Bassline 101, Monark, etc.

i'm not disagreeing with you, just voicing a frustration. i totally understand why, with how good we have it in the digital world, people have a hard time understand purposeful limitation.

I think the reason people clamored so badly for a poly RePro was that it is already common knowledge that the Pro One was basically a single voice of the Prophet 5, so in their minds, it’s just like a few extra lines of code, eh? :lol: Though, I guess the Octave Cat had a poly sister as well... so of course the same thing would happen. :dog:

Anyway, to me, another emulation of the quality of RePro from U-He would be an instant buy, but I’m not going to cry about it. I’m certainly not starved for choice. If I was Urs’s boss, I’d be telling him to drop everything and get on Zebra 3. Mach schnell! :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

voidhead23 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:09 am
ghettosynth wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 pm Interesting example. On the one hand, it's a monosynth in a current product line. On the other hand, NI gave the core of it away for free last Christmas. So, is it worth much without the sequencer that combines the two elements?
To me, it definitely is. i wasn't interested at all in the kick module or the sequencer, but once they decoupled them, the bass module became my most used synth. i'm tempted to buy the full version and get stuff i'll never use just to express with my wallet how useful this plugin has been to actually make music. But again, the fact that they just gave it away is a good indicator of how people feel about mono-softies (it's also currently free in the Komplete Start package). So then they come out with Super 8, the same crap everyone is doing (hey guys, let's make another VA poly...).
Yes, that's what I meant. I like it as well, but, I get the sense that it's not going to be a big seller without the sequencer environment. I have to say thought, I like that kick module too. It goes great with Complex-1 in reason, another instrument that I like because it is limited and has great workflow.

i'm not disagreeing with you, just voicing a frustration. i totally understand why, with how good we have it in the digital world, people have a hard time understand purposeful limitation.
I get it. I'm with zerocrossing on this though. I'd buy high quality emulations from Urs mostly because the limitations and familiarity of the original instrument are a part of that source of inspiration.

That said, I don't need any more synths. I only bought Super 8 as a study in modern Reaktor instrument design, that it sounds good and has great patches is a bonus.

I'd have no problems with another classic mono synth, I have plenty of polysynths to completent.
A emulation of mono synth can always have the twist of adding polyphony. We know what a Minimoog & Oscar, playing pads or keys, sound like now. It would be interesting to hear how other classic mono synths would sound in poly mode too.

Return to “u-he”