U-he The Cat

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:47 pm Ok fair enough but.....
Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm But the feedback ("make it poly!") was overwhelming. People made that legendary choice with their wallet.
I'm not opposed to you doing a 1:1 emulation of The Cat or any other mono synth but I wouldn't buy them.... :shrug:
I'd have been all over a virtual synth museum of classic mono synths like: ReKat, ReProdigy, etc. But I guess there are too few of me and too many of you (not meant as an insult in any way, just the reality), to have that make any sense from a business perspective.

Depending on what U-he does in a potential Diva 2, that may be a way to do some of this. Like put some poly Kat modules in there (filter), or maybe model the Prodigy sync and add it to the Minimoog oscs (there's already sync, I know).

My second hardware synth was an Analog Monosynth more decades ago than I care to admit. So perhaps I've just burned out on them just as I have burned out on the DX7 sounds. Any Mono patches I need now can easily be accomplished in one of the great VSTi polysynths I own that have a Mono Mode whether they can do all the esoteric stuff or not.

I'd rather see U-He do something new and fresh but I'm just one voice in the crowd. They should do whatever gives them the most satisfaction whether that's artistic or financial.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:14 pm I'd rather see U-He do something new and fresh but I'm just one voice in the crowd. They should do whatever gives them the most satisfaction whether that's artistic or financial.
The nice thing with U-he is they do a little of everything in that regard: emulations here and there (Diva/RePro), new stuff in the form of Zebra/Hive/Bazille/Ace, effects (Twangstrom/ColourCopy/Uhbik/etc.)...So I kind of dig the back and forth between product types.

Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:51 pmThe Cat concept was based on all the official factory upgrades one could buy from Octave. For instance, there was an option to insert guitar pedals between oscillators and mixer/filter. Which also allowed for very weird crossmodulation and cross-patching options. That is what we were going for, and it would be overkill to do this in a polyphonic package.
That sounds so cool. I want it more now. I think people would more likely buy a mono synth like this if they could hear its unique sounds and character. If the promo demos / videos surprise. Like using it in a musical genre that you wouldn't expect for this type of synth. But I know marketing like that can be expensive and hit-or-miss effective.

When Repro-1 came out I think people hearing it had a part in people pushing for a poly version. Like they hear the mono synth - it sounds great - the effects sound great - and they say ooh make me a poly version Urs and I'll buy it or give me just the chorus or just the waveshaper - I want just that. So the mono synth IS the marketing for the poly version. :hihi:

Would it be really difficult to create a mono Cat-1 just like you envisioned and then a poly Cat-9 as well and combine them in a bundle, just like Repro-1/5? I don't know, I do understand that it wouldn't be as popular, and a lot of work...and it would mean not doing something else potentially more interesting...so... :shrug:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

I would buy more monos, as I have more chord-capable stuff than I can use in a lifetime.

But they would have to have a very unique character or possibilities as a lead/bass synth currently not covered by the rest of the catalogue. I demoed Voltage Modular recently and heard an overall character I haven‘t heard from u-he so far and which was surprisingly pleasing. So if any of the to-be-preserved models went in that general direction, I would prefer to spend my money here (copy protection scheme, history of product maintenance, etc.).

Alternatively, you may have to go beyond just the best emulation into ‚make feel more like a performance than a MIDI file‘ territory if that makes sense.

I
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

I want The Cat done by u-he. Really I do. :(

I'd buy it even though I could get it as NFR since I beta test...

I have 1 cat at home but would be great to adopt a second one ;)

I use Repro-1 almost more than I use Repro-5.

If you wanted to do more 'legendary mono synths' I'd be quite alright.

I'd buy u-he mono synths.

i would never buy a mono soft synth

Monosynth plugins based on hardware with the updated option of added polyphony is the best of both worlds. Classic hardware monosynths are awesome, but with such advances in (digital) audio, there's no reason why a synth VSTi can't have both mono and poly options. With that said, Repro 1 & 5 are an exception.

I’d buy a mono synth too, but I get that Repro-1 already demonstrated what will sell... rendering my opinion on purchasing, irrelevant.

I don’t need my software tools to all do the same thing. If they have different names and/or are made by different developers, then I’m okay choosing what to use based on what I can get out of it.

Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm Don't get me wrong: I love Repro-1.

But the feedback ("make it poly!") was overwhelming. People made that legendary choice with their wallet. It made clear to us that we can bury our idea of preserving some monophonic beauties "as they are" in code.

As for the Cat, there was a polyphonic version ("Voyetra 8").
Is it wrong that I'm getting a bit of a chub right now thinking about the Cat AND a Voyetra?

If you're not going to do either, then build parts, put the Voyetra parts in Diva II and put all of the cat parts in Ace II, (along with Repro's filter).

Of course I mean that you should demand money, these don't need to be free upgrades. Give them new names if that's what it takes.

Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:51 pm For instance, there was an option to insert guitar pedals between oscillators and mixer/filter. Which also allowed for very weird crossmodulation and cross-patching options.
Sounds like a great idea for the wide timbral diversity in a simple shape of a mono synth! Will definitely be interested in a synth like this :)

I'd buy U-He emulation of any rare and unique synth. My old dream is a Polivoks vst. :)

Return to “u-he”