U-he The Cat

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any news ?

We postponed the development because people wanted Repro-1 to be polyphonic. Hence, instead of the Cat, we did Repro-5.

Apparently, there's not enough interest in monophonic synths. Not enough to justify the effort to make an emulation at that level. We would have to make it poly from the beginning, which kind of takes the joy out of the project. The ideas I have had always only worked for a monophonic synth.

Such that, at this point of time I have no idea if we'll ever get to do it :-|

FWIW Repro sounds purfect.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 am We postponed the development because people wanted Repro-1 to be polyphonic. Hence, instead of the Cat, we did Repro-5.

Apparently, there's not enough interest in monophonic synths. Not enough to justify the effort to make an emulation at that level. We would have to make it poly from the beginning, which kind of takes the joy out of the project. The ideas I have had always only worked for a monophonic synth.

That´s weird.
I thought Repro-1 was a finished product, always intended to be monophonic and Repro-5 the polyphonic counterpart, or am I missing something? There are lots of excellent reviews and amazing feedback about it all over the internet. And still the majority of your customers demand polyphony for Repro-1?

Edit: I think I messed up things a bit. What is "the Cat"? Never heard about it before

Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 am We postponed the development because people wanted Repro-1 to be polyphonic. Hence, instead of the Cat, we did Repro-5.

There is a big difference, I think. Because a decent Pro-5 emulation has been lusted after by so many for so long, it seemed like when you'd already done so much of the legwork with Repro-1 that the possibility was not a huge stretch. If the synth you are trying to emulate has only ever been monophonic, I doubt people would have the same expectations.

Furthermore, as someone who never had any interest in monophonic instruments, I definitely really love Repro-1. So, perhaps consider that your talent as developers and your overall reputation will always drive people towards your products.

Don't get me wrong: I love Repro-1.

But the feedback ("make it poly!") was overwhelming. People made that legendary choice with their wallet. It made clear to us that we can bury our idea of preserving some monophonic beauties "as they are" in code.

As for the Cat, there was a polyphonic version ("Voyetra 8").

Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm Don't get me wrong: I love Repro-1.

But the feedback ("make it poly!") was overwhelming. People made that legendary choice with their wallet. It made clear to us that we can bury our idea of preserving some monophonic beauties "as they are" in code.

I saw at synthanatomy this:

https://www.amazona.de/babylon-freeware ... y-project/

Edit:
it's not u-he product.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=522583&start=15
Last edited by Amram on Tue May 07, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who will release on Babylon freeware ? U-he ?

akira2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:05 pm Who will release on Babylon freeware ? U-he ?
Not u-he

Fair enough :shrug:

I suppose for the people who want or even prefer monophonic synths, there are so many new and interesting analog monos these days that software monos are less enticing.

It's the analog poly synths that are priced out of many peoples reach.

Or most softsynths have a Mono Mode making Mono Only plugins less relevant ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would Love a Moog sub 37 mono softsynth !!! maybe in Diva 2 ?

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:27 pm Or most softsynths have a Mono Mode making Mono Only plugins less relevant ?
Yes and no. We can do things in a mono synth which we simply can not do in poly. Such as making the effects part of the voice engine.

Technically, Softube Modular is mono. And so is VCV Rack. A lot of good stuff is not viable for a polyphonic synth, and that's not necessarily complex or modular stuff.

For Repro-1 we had plans to route the FX back into the filter (or, the feedback point, to be more precise). That was part of the idea to make a multi-I/O version, which we also scraped in respect to Repro-5.

The Cat concept was based on all the official factory upgrades one could buy from Octave. For instance, there was an option to insert guitar pedals between oscillators and mixer/filter. Which also allowed for very weird crossmodulation and cross-patching options. That is what we were going for, and it would be overkill to do this in a polyphonic package.

Ok fair enough but.....
Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm But the feedback ("make it poly!") was overwhelming. People made that legendary choice with their wallet.
I'm not opposed to you doing a 1:1 emulation of The Cat or any other mono synth but I wouldn't buy them.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “u-he”