controlling u-he synths with Sub37

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

I'm having difficulty controlling the synths via the sub 37 in Logic X.

I can assign most controllers, but there are certain ones that appear to be preassigned that I can't find a way to change.

I can't, for example, assign the cutoff knob as it's controller is preassigned to volume. I can see that the S37 is using MIDI CC general purpose 4, which is normally reserved for volume, for cutoff - which is odd in itself. However, it means that all my u-he plugins can't use it - the cutoff knob on the hardware will only control the plugins main volume.

I've tried completely uninstalling then reinstalling older revisions - thinking this was maybe an NKS issue, but it still doesn't work.

It doesn't work on the resonance knob either (sending controller 21... again Moog's odd CC control mapping)- so my 2 favourite knobs are useless...

I can do this on all my other soft synths, so it's been annoying me - so much so here I am!! :)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

CC7 is volume... I see no reason why CC4 wouldn't work on Cutoff in any of our synths?

I just checked here with Diva and had no problems mapping CC4 or CC21 to any parameters. I'm running VST2 in Windows (Cubase), but don't see why it wouldn't otherwise work for you. I'm not familiar with Logic, and you've probably done this already, but can you throw up a MIDI Monitor of some sort and verify that the Sub37 is actually transmitting the CC's as expected?

Also, just looking at the manual for the Sub37 (pg. 53), isn't the CC for the Cutoff knob 19? CC4 appears to be Pitch Mod Amt, and CC7 is master volume (makes sense).

https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... v1.1_0.pdf

Also, are you using the standard MIDI Learn feature on the U-he synths or trying to map manually?

Hi Thanks for the quick responses.

Sorry I wasn't entirely clear. The SUB37 sends CC19 (general purpose 4) from the cutoff knob and CC21 for the resonance knob - which I can track on MIDI Monitor and on any external input recording in Logic.

For the main volume the Sub 37 sends CC7

However, assigning has always worked, which is why I was thinking it might have been caused by an update. I've just tried again on my Arturia synths and its not working for them either. I can assign pretty much any controller to anything, but not the cutoff or resonance. So it doesn't look like its a U-He issue.

Very weird.

Logic registers all other knobs in via the MIDI In control display, and will record as a MIDI input, but will not register or record the cutoff or resonance. As I record the events briefly show in the event register as unused CC-1.. even weirder.

So possibly a logic issue... hmmm

Thanks for the help anyway :)

SOLVED....

I'd assigned the knobs to Logic's SMART Controls - which disables them for any other uses, their MIDI data is hijacked at Logic's input and is not reaching the sequencer.

Thought I was going crazy there .. I was absolutely positive I'd been using the S37 as my main controller ... and I had!

Once again, your time was much appreciated.

Return to “u-he”