Diva: How to control volume by CC-data?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok, so I've tried to adapt this technique to use pressure (specifically poly pressure) to allow me to control volume per note from a ROLI keyboard. But it doesn't work very well.

First, I still do not get the full range of volume that should be possible and second, since the ROLI always has a small amount of pressure coming through I get a very audible click on every note down. Any ideas?

I can get more pressure to have the note go to silence, but not the opposite. :(

I've tried every combination of settings that I can think of until my face got hot (again.) It feels like this should be easy to do.... set volume to 0 (since it is bi) and then modulate up linearly with pressure (and put the lag inline to handle the jitter...) but.... it feels not to be.
Last edited by robbmonn on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super frustrating! In Hive I just set volume to be modulated by pressure and it works just as you'd want it to (although I'd really love a lag processor in Hive, tbh)

robbmonn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 pm (although I'd really love a lag processor in Hive, tbh)
Instead of a knob for slew rate, Hive's mod matrix provides a slew limiter with four settings (none/fast/smooth/slow) in the right-click menu on every target slot.
robbmonn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:14 pm I can get more pressure to have the note go to silence, but not the opposite. :(
As for setting up pressure-controlled volume in Diva, the following works for me: set Invert source to Stack Index, set Add sources to Pressure + Invert, set Lag source to Add, and then in the Main tab set Vol Mod source to Lag, and turn fully clockwise.
robbmonn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:10 pm First, I still do not get the full range of volume that should be possible and second, since the ROLI always has a small amount of pressure coming through I get a very audible click on every note down. Any ideas?
I agree that the response is not terribly satisfying without some tweaking. I get more satisfying results by modulating cutoff along with volume. A slower attack on the VCA envelope can mitigate some of the note-onset jumpiness. If you have a way to apply a scaling curve to the ROLI's pressure output in your DAW before it reaches Diva (other than ROLI Dashboard, which is unfortunately quite limited in this respect), then that will give you the best control. If you study Equator's patch library, it becomes clear that the tuning of response curves is essential to a patch's playability and expressiveness with the Seaboard, especially when it comes to pressure.

thank you for the time spent posting:

here is what I have:

VCA set to gate (and tried env as well, with env set to various settings)
Volume sert to 12 oclock and far clockwise (no difference)
Vol Mod set to Lag
Lag set to Add
Add set to Pressure + Invert
Invert set to Stackindex
Stackindex set to 1

what I get is a sharp transient with a pop and then some pretty limited ability to make the sound a little louder. This seems to be a function of the gate.

what I want is to, with a very gentle attack and no pressure for the note to be silent until I apply pressure.

If I map LFO 2 to Volume mod I am able to get the volume to go to silence. I just can't seem to do that with pressure.... it is because pressure is unipolar and vol mod is expecting bipolar?

ok

vol mod set to ZERO
vol mod source set to lag
ENV 1 set to VCA source
env1 set with a slightly slow attack and release and sustain to 100%
amplifier set to 12 o'clock
lag set to add and turned up
add set to pressure + stack index

that does it. apologies if that is what you wrote before... but it works.

but... it still doesn't feel like it gives me the full dynamic range. with hive or kontakt I can fade slowly to nothing... this ramps down pretty quick once it crosses a low threshold.

and hell yes, thank you for the Hive tip re: lag. Amazing results right away. I, um, really wish that Repro-5 and Diva had some of this mojo.
Last edited by robbmonn on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OK -- so how about this!

multiply = pressure x pressure
add = multiply + stack index

this results in more dynamic range (but it takes a light touch.)

Thanks for this thread (and solution). REALLY helpful.
Been curious about this for a long time.

Return to “u-he”