Diva: How to control volume by CC-data?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nooby question...

Diva: init sound
In the Amplifier / Pan section:
If I set VCA to "Gate" and "Vol Mod" to a CC (in my case mod wheel CC1) and raise the "Vol Mod" dial up I'd expect the a volume control from zero (silence) to full level following the mod wheel. But I only get maybe a little 2dB jump.
I can't find a way to level full dynamic from silence to full audio level via mod wheel.
I don't want to midi-learn a fader. I want it to be part of the patch.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks and greeting,
Saxer
Last edited by saxer on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saxplayer, LogicUser, loves and makes Jazz/Chill/Latin/Filmmusic, House...

Hm, this is tricky. If you set mod depth of amp mod to -100% for modwheel, and then actually invert your modwheel at source (meaning your modwheel down sends 127, modwheel up sends 0), then it works. But it doesn't work if you use the Invert modifier within Diva, which is bizarre...

Thanks EvilDragon for the fast response!
I want to use Diva as a sound source for wind controller which makes it necessary to have silence with CC down. Strange that it doesn't work as expected...

You could remap/invert the CC in your DAW with a MIDI processor before it hits Diva...

If you want it everywhere you could just MIDI-learn the Volume knob. If you don't want to do that, then try this…

In Modifications:
Invert "ModWheel"
Add "Invert" + "StackIndex"

In Amp/Pan:
Vol Mod "Add", -100

BTW it may seem strange (and I would have implemented this differently), but Vol Mod is a bipolar scaling factor, not an offset. Once you get your head around that, it's easy enough. The lane volume control in Zebra works the same, so I'm kind of used to it.

Can you explain why StackIndex was necessary there? Does it basically supply a constant of 1, or is it something else?

Hi Howard, thanks for chiming in!

Still not sure what's wrong... mod wheel up is silence and down is loud.

Greetings from Flörsheim :-)

Saxer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It works over here.

As I suspected... StackIndex supplies "1" as constant, but Howie's method unfortunately doesn't work if you have Stack set to a value other than 1 :(

Which means, we need to have Constant as a modulation option for modifiers :)

^this :)
Here's an alternative to StackIndex - rectify "Alternate"!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hah, that's a nifty one. Sad that it takes up a lot of mods to do this sort of stuff, tho.

saxer wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:04 pm Still not sure what's wrong... mod wheel up is silence and down is loud.
Because you still have Modwheel set as the mod source for the Vol Mod parameter.
You need to use Add as its mod source.
And set it up as in Howie's second example, using Rectify instead of StackIndex.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

What eagle-eye Tasmaniandevil wrote! Neither ED nor I spotted the error.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:50 pm
saxer wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:04 pm Still not sure what's wrong... mod wheel up is silence and down is loud.
Because you still have Modwheel set as the mod source for the Vol Mod parameter.
You need to use Add as its mod source.
And set it up as in Howie's second example, using Rectify instead of StackIndex.
Got it!

Thanks all! Great help!

The way volume mod is implemented always confused me. Thanks for the useful tips and explanation here! It all makes sense now. A constant source other than those tricks would be nice...

Return to “u-he”