MacOS u-he plug-in crashes after Security Update: Solution

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We've been getting a lot of crash reports lately from Mac users. These crashes boil down to mangled file access permissions on some Macs. As the timing is right, we suspect that's due to the most recent security update, but it can be any reason, e.g. other software installed etc.

Here's what we think you can do:

Make sure that these folders are owned by you (your Mac user name) and that permissions are set to "Read & Write" for you:

MacHD/Users/yourusername/Library <- hold [alt] and in Finder open the "go" menu

(or check our FAQ: https://u-he.com/support/faq.html#troub ... er-library )

MacHD/Users/yourusername/Library/Audio/
MacHD/Users/yourusername/Library/Audio/Presets/
MacHD/Users/yourusername/Library/Audio/Presets/u-he (<- might not be there, no worries)

MacHD/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/
MacHD/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/u-he/ (no worries if not there)

To check and change permissions, in Finder click on a folder and press [command]-i (or right-click -> Get Info). The permissions are set on the bottom of the window, you might have to click the lock and put in your administrator password to make changes. For each of these folders it should look like this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 14.43.01.png

(of course, where it says "Urs" it should show your Mac user name)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Also, we've added this fix to our installers. So if this fix proves to be a universal remedy for a common problem, chances are good that the next round of updated installers will fix this for any u-he plug-in.

Furthermore, we'll fix the crash problem itself and we'll hopefully be able to display a detailed analysis and how to fix the issue.

Crashing still. The permissions were all already in Read & Write.
Crashes are rapid and many and very random… Impossible to work, really.

If it may mean anything:
(I'm on Ableton Live and been having a problem which never occurred in Logic: U-he patches sometimes distorted themselves after restarting Live. Maybe it's related somehow?)
Mac crash reports show a different crashed thread and termination reasons each time.
Ableton support says
It seemed to have been crashing in the code of Bazille with some runs.
Last edited by elnn on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brzzzzzzt.

elnn wrote: ↑Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:10 am Crashing still. The permissions were all already in Read & Write.

(I'm on Ableton Live and been having a problem which never occured in Logic: U-he patches sometimes distorted themselves after restarting the DAW. Maybe it's related somehow?)
That sounds more like the preset recall issue in Live:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=505734

Maybe best to write to our support team with more details (which plug-ins, which revisions, which format, exact version of Live, macOS etc.)

Urs wrote: ↑Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:53 am
elnn wrote: ↑Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:10 am Crashing still. The permissions were all already in Read & Write.

(I'm on Ableton Live and been having a problem which never occured in Logic: U-he patches sometimes distorted themselves after restarting the DAW. Maybe it's related somehow?)
That sounds more like the preset recall issue in Live:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=505734

Maybe best to write to our support team with more details (which plug-ins, which revisions, which format, exact version of Live, macOS etc.)
Will do that, thank you : )
Brzzzzzzt.

I noticed that not all plugin instances do it. It's very prevalent in one project (unless I have Bazille off), while hasn't happened at all with others. I'll try to pin down which patch is causing it, if that would be of any help to you.
Brzzzzzzt.

elnn wrote: ↑Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:30 am I noticed that not all plugin instances do it. It's very prevalent in one project (unless I have Bazille off), while hasn't happened at all with others. I'll try to pin down which patch is causing it, if that would be of any help to you.
As I said, the Live issue is most likely a Live issue. We coded a workaround for some of the glitches we observed, but this isn't available in many of our plug-ins yet. It would be best to update Live to the absolutely latest beta or release version and continue to discuss the issue in the other thread.

Oops, I wasn't clear that I meant the crashing, not preset recall.
Brzzzzzzt.

elnn wrote: ↑Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:39 pm Oops, I wasn't clear that I meant the crashing, not preset recall.
Yes, the crashes can happen due to glitches in Live's preset recall... it's a very different issue than the macOS issue with mangled file permissions :)

Urs wrote: ↑Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:00 am
elnn wrote: ↑Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:39 pm Oops, I wasn't clear that I meant the crashing, not preset recall.
Yes, the crashes can happen due to glitches in Live's preset recall... it's a very different issue than the macOS issue with mangled file permissions :)
I was right then! Thanks : )
Brzzzzzzt.

Hi Urs,

Could this explain the fairly recent phenomena I experience on Mac when I start an otherwise blank project template with 1x (or more) instance of Repro-5 in it the project stalls when loaded, everything in Logic becomes unresponsive until about 30 seconds of this on and off then suddenly it works and responds as per normal?

Cheers for now.
Sample Packs, Synth Presets, VST plugins, Effects and Synth VSTs all available at https://www.sound7.co.uk

This may be totally unrelated, but using VST2 versions instead of VST3 versions in bitwig totally fixed the crashing.

jeffb01 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:22 pm This may be totally unrelated, but using VST2 versions instead of VST3 versions in bitwig totally fixed the crashing.
Yes, this would be completely unrelated, because if it were permission issues, the plugin format wouldn't matter.
If you had crashes with VST3, remember that there are still some plugins using the old VST3 implementation which was buggy and crash prone (e.g. ACE, Bazille, Filterscape, MFM2, Uhbik).

SOUND7 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:20 pm Could this explain the fairly recent phenomena I experience on Mac when I start an otherwise blank project template with 1x (or more) instance of Repro-5 in it the project stalls when loaded, everything in Logic becomes unresponsive until about 30 seconds of this on and off then suddenly it works and responds as per normal?
Nope, that sounds very weird, haven't heard about something like this in connection with our plugins.
Nothing has changed in Repro, so if it's a recent phenomenon then something might have changed in your system which is causing this. Do you know what has changed around the time this started?

tasmaniandevil wrote: ↑Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:11 am
SOUND7 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:20 pm Could this explain the fairly recent phenomena I experience on Mac when I start an otherwise blank project template with 1x (or more) instance of Repro-5 in it the project stalls when loaded, everything in Logic becomes unresponsive until about 30 seconds of this on and off then suddenly it works and responds as per normal?
Nope, that sounds very weird, haven't heard about something like this in connection with our plugins.
Nothing has changed in Repro, so if it's a recent phenomenon then something might have changed in your system which is causing this. Do you know what has changed around the time this started?
Well there's the thing. I thought perhaps it was caused by something that had changed that I couldn't track back to as it had been a while between sessions for instance so in the end I did a clean factory reset, re-installed logic and repro-5 and it still occurs.

It's a fairly recent (as in last 4 months? Maybe more) issue so I thought perhaps it was an updated repro-5 causing it somewhere.
Sample Packs, Synth Presets, VST plugins, Effects and Synth VSTs all available at https://www.sound7.co.uk

Return to β€œu-he”