Anyone Have a Good Method for Getting the Most Out of Favourites 1-8?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been loving the new Preset Browser, but I've tried to come up with a system/methodology for tagging favourites that works for me, and haven't found one that I love yet.

So this thread is meant to spark some discussion on how other people use the Favourites system in the new U-he browser, because maybe someone's hit upon something great that I haven't thought of or tried yet.

Things I've experimented with or thought about so far:

1. Assigning favourites by category (1=Bass, 2=Leads...8=Pads).

Problem with this approach? I couldn't remember what was what. I know potentially renaming "favourites" has been discussed as a potential future enhancement, and if so, this could be revisited. Also, the methodology of 1=bass, 2=leads, etc., doesn't work once you introduce effects. So then I'd have to remember that 1=bass, for synths, but it could be delays in CoCo or basic verbs in Twangstrom.

2. Using favourites as a ranking system. Favourites #1 means I kind of like the patch, Favourites #8 means I LOVE the patch.

Problem with this approach: with 8 options, it becomes kind of arbitrary (what's the difference between a 5 and a 6), and is it really making it easier to find things.

3. Using favourites by genre.

I thought about this, but didn't bother because I don't work in enough genres to bother. Nor would it even make sense when a sound could work in multiple genres.

Where I'm currently at...

4. Favourites 1 means I like it, 8 means I love it, 2-7 don't get used at all.

This works best for me, but I feel like I'm under-utilizing the feature by ignoring 2-7. That said, until I find something better, I'm sticking with this approach.

Any other ideas out there? Would love to hear from others on how they utilize favourites.

You could use 1 for really good ones and 2 for the most awesomest of bestest ones. If you don't need 3 through 8, just ignore them.

Alternatively, you could do something like organize them "per project". Sure, after 8 projects you kinda have to start over again, but unless you constantly work on 9+ projects in parallel, the patches used/"favourited" in project 1 should be "done" and their settings safely stored in your project file at the time you start project 9, so you wouldn't need them in the favourites anymore.

Or how about subjective or (to others) arbitrary criteria like temperature or emotion? Everything that melts your face goes into the red favourites, soft pads and soundscapes go into green, spine-chilling things that give you goose bumps get sorted into the blue one.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

#rob wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:33 pm You could use 1 for really good ones and 2 for the most awesomest of bestest ones. If you don't need 3 through 8, just ignore them.
That's my method #4 above, I just use 1 and 8 because they're far enough apart on the dropdown that I don't accidentally put things into the wrong buckets by mis-clicking like I would with 1 and 2. Definitely the easiest to remember and best approach [for me] I've found so far. Thanks for your thoughts Rob! :tu:

I use Favourites to distinguish between WIP and finished presets... slightly easier than renaming.

I just use one of them... I think #4... why4? it was the colour I like most. I like favourites but not star ratings since what may be a 4 one day, I listen back 2 months later and wonder wtf I was thinking back then :)

I am glad it is an option to be utilized if one wants to work that way or not.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 pm I just use one of them... I think #4... why4? it was the colour I like most. I like favourites but not star ratings since what may be a 4 one day, I listen back 2 months later and wonder wtf I was thinking back then :)
You probably already know this, but in case anyone doesn't, you can rename the .pngs and change the colors around quite easily. Or just pop favourites #1 into an image editor and adjust until you get a colour you like. I don't like that the dark gray was Favourites #1 (doesn't stand out against the background), so I've changed it on a few (but not all) U-he products to make it more to my liking.

Thanks. I probably did at some point know and remember that. I try not to change out to much stuff though, because by the time of the next update I might have to recopy them again. (already doing that for the satin presets in Repro to make them auto hiss mute on)
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 pm Thanks. I probably did at some point know and remember that. I try not to change out to much stuff though, because by the time of the next update I might have to recopy them again. (already doing that for the satin presets in Repro to make them auto hiss mute on)
thanks
rsp
The permanent solution: copy the default to skin to the Support\Themes folder with a new name like, "Modified Default." So you'll have Support\Themes\Modified Default. Edit the PNG's to change the colors, and set your new skin to default. If you're concerned about HD space, you could even delete all the other non-favourites .png's in your new skin folder.

That'll make sure that additional updates don't overwrite your tweaks and you've technically made a custom skin. Love how easy stuff like that is with U-he products. I make little tweaks to most of the skins.

Howard wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 pm I use Favourites to distinguish between WIP and finished presets... slightly easier than renaming.
Oh... I like that use... :tu:

Some people told us they want to use them per project. Once a project is finished, they'd drag-copy them into a folder for backup purpose.

Return to “u-he”