U-He plugins are very sluggish on Live 10.0.5 and Mojave 10.14.2

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Presswerk

We're working on it. The main problem is trying to find/build a computer with the same configuration to somehow be able to reproduce the issue. Unfortunately we can't do this in a single day :-/

thanks Urs. Let me know if there's anything I can help with!

Thanks a lot for all the infos.
Sorry that nothing helped, those were all tips I gathered from other articles and forums where people had similar issues in Mojave. Looks like this can happen to all sorts of software, like Matlab, SQL clients, or even game engine editors (and other audio plugins, like Voxengo, for example). But since it seems to be a rare issue, there is no information yet as to what is causing this. It might be a specific hardware configuration, and or some detail Apple changed in Mojave. But we simply don't know this yet. We need to gather more information first.

To test the "open in low resolution", right-click the Ableton Live application icon in the Application folder, and select "Get Info". In the window that opens, there is a checkmark for the low resolution option. Ableton just started to support high resolution displays with version 10, so this might not work perfectly on all systems yet.

One question, out of curiosity: Why is the frame rate set to 59.88Hz instead of 60Hz? And is there an option to use exactly 60Hz? Would be interesting to know if this frame rate is maybe part of the problem.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 am One question, out of curiosity: Why is the frame rate set to 59.88Hz instead of 60Hz? And is there an option to use exactly 60Hz? Would be interesting to know if this frame rate is maybe part of the problem.
The framerate may be set to vsync rather than a specific frame rate.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 amAbleton just started to support high resolution displays with version 10, so this might not work perfectly on all systems yet.
This might be the culprit as we use vector UIs using CoreGraphics (which run at full resolution), while certainly by far most plug-ins will use VST GUI (pixel based afaik).

Might be worth checking other vector-UI plugins.

here's another interesting piece of information: I get the same sluggish response when using Repro 5 AAX in Pro Tools 12!

As for screen frame rate: 59.88 is the default which is grayed out and I can't change.

Low resolution: I honestly don't see this option in the "get info" window for Live 10 (Mojave...)

Im running Bitwig and just updated to Mojave. No noticeable issues so far with Zebra or Hive.

What I DID encounter with Mojave was Voxengo Span running extremely choppy on the spectrum analyzer and db readout. Instead of being smooth, it was choppy/frame rate issue. This would cause other vst’s that had moving bits to run choppy as well. My VU meter had terrible framerate. Toneboosters EQ was choppy as well on the spectrum and db readout. Once I closed Span, the other vst’s worked fine.

I suspect this is an Apple problem with Mojave update.

Edit* Span also makes UHE plugins run uber slow. Moving a parameter registers about a quarter second later. Back to normal after closing Span. Not sure if thats of any use to OP or Urs.

eldigi wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:05 pmDELL U2713HM Display
Is that connected via HDMI or via DisplayPort?

eldigi wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 am Low resolution: I honestly don't see this option in the "get info" window for Live 10 (Mojave...)
Hmm, you don't this in the Get Info window? That would be weird. Even on the beta versions, it's usually there.
low_resolution.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tasmaniandevil on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Butwug wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:10 am What I DID encounter with Mojave was Voxengo Span running extremely choppy on the spectrum analyzer and db readout.
Yes, some Voxengo plugins are affected by this issue, I think he confirmed this in his forum.

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:12 am
eldigi wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:05 pmDELL U2713HM Display
Is that connected via HDMI or via DisplayPort?
That's a displayport (thunderbolt)

tasmaniandevil wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am
eldigi wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 am Low resolution: I honestly don't see this option in the "get info" window for Live 10 (Mojave...)
Hmm, you don't this in the Get Info window? That would be weird. Even on the beta versions, it's usually there.

low_resolution.png
not seeing this on neither Live 10, Live 10 Beta and Live 9

because it's not a 4K display and you're running 1:1, not scaled mode.
you already ARE running low-resolution.

I have this same problem on Mac+Ableton, and notice it most when you open the MSEG large editor. Moving points around are incredibly slow, especially if there is a loop going. In Bitwig it's the same thing.

However, awhile back I found this post because I had the same problem with Reason:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reasoners/comm ... _high_res/

I tried Setting => Display => Color => choose "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and it is MUCH faster!

Return to “u-he”