U-He plugins are very sluggish on Live 10.0.5 and Mojave 10.14.2

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Presswerk

unfortunately I'm getting the same results...

here's a strange thing:
I'm trying Repro-5 in Live 9 and it's the same unresponsive behavior.
I tried to reinstall repro - the same!
strangely, I still have the repro alpha plugin from a few years back - and it's behaving just fine!

New MBP 2018; 10.14.2 & 10.0.5

No problem here.

Thanks.
My OS has been updated (rather than installed from scratch) over the last five years, so is it possible that i'm running a "wrong" library or API that's used by these specific U-He plugins? (sorry for probably not using the accurate tech jargon).
Urs, any hint?
I would have given up by now but it kills me not to be able to use Repro in Live (because it's so great!!!)

I did wonder whether this might have anything to do with fresh installs vs OS upgrades.

could be, but I'm not going to do a fresh install at this point. There must be another way to sort this out.

eldigi wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:53 pm could be, but I'm not going to do a fresh install at this point. There must be another way to sort this out.
APFS makes it very easy to add volumes (and remove them)

you can do a fresh install just to rule out any other issues. I guess in your case they're already ruled out tho.

It's wise to do a clean install every now and then anyway.

What OS and hardware are you running? I can't find those in this thread and it might be key to why yours is failing and it's not being seen by other people.

In general, I wouldn't reinstall for a Live 10 problem: it's been causing all sorts of issues since launch that are gradually being fixed.

Mojave 10.14.2
2013 6-core Mac Pro 32GB RAM

I've got an older Mac Pro but haven't taken it as far as Mojave (I'm not sure if it can go past High Sierra to be honest) and I'm not seeing the same problem.

One thing you could try is to open Console after you've started up Repro and see what pops up in there when you move a knob - the beachball suggests it's doing OS-level stuff that the OS doesn't like. Or install a demo of one of the other u-he plugins to see if it's something that affects all of them or is maybe something that's gone screwy with the existing installation. Also, are the permissions for the u-he folder in Library/Audio/Plug-ins/[Components or VST] weirdly different from other folders in there?

tried the console - there's a lot going on whether I twist a repro knob or not, so it's hard to tell what's related.
as to the permissions, the U-he folder in side the vst folder has these permissions:
Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 11.22.15 AM.png
other folders inside vst may have "everyone" set to "read only".
Inside components/AU there's no sub folder to U-he, and i'm getting the same issue with AUs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Since you wrote that it only happens in Live, but not in Logic, it might be a good idea to contact Ableton support about this issue.

Some more infos about your hardware setup might be useful:

* what graphic card are you using
* what kind of display, and only one, or multiple displays
* which display resolution and refresh rate are the displays running at
* which GUI size is set for the plugins that are having this lag
* when did it start to happen, after upgrading to Mojave, or after an Ableton Live update, or something else

After googling for similar symptoms in Mojave (seems like this can happen to all kinds of apps, under special, yet unknown circumstances), here are some things you could try (one by one):

* in Live's 'Look/Feel' preferences, set 'Zoom Display' back to 100%
* in the Mac's 'Security & Privacy' preferences, in the Accessibiliy section (in the 'Privacy' tab), allow access for Ableton Live
* try to run Live in low resolution mode (right-click on the app icon, choose 'Get Info' and select 'Open in Low Resolution')
* if you have a display with a very high refresh rate, try setting it to a lower rate (60Hz or less)
* do you have other apps opened which are running a video player of some sort (e.g. a web browser), then maybe try closing those
* if you have third-party helper apps running, like the Magnet app to arrange desktop windows, or clipboard managers, try switching them off
* restart in recovery mode, and run First Aid to repair disk permissions
* try setting the system's color profile to 'Adobe sRGB'
* try resetting the Mac's NVRAM
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Graphic card - AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
a single DELL U2713HM Display
27-inch (2560 x 1440), 59.88 Hertz (NTSC)
GUI size - 100%
I don't know when it started happening. I'm not a Live user. I'm mostly using Logic, but I wanted to try Live on a certain project.

"* in the Mac's 'Security & Privacy' preferences, in the Accessibiliy section (in the 'Privacy' tab), allow access for Ableton Live" -
it only allows me to add Live Beta
"* try to run Live in low resolution mode (right-click on the app icon, choose 'Get Info' and select 'Open in Low Resolution')"
I don't see this option
"* if you have a display with a very high refresh rate, try setting it to a lower rate (60Hz or less)"
I'm already less than 60
"* do you have other apps opened which are running a video player of some sort (e.g. a web browser), then maybe try closing those
* if you have third-party helper apps running, like the Magnet app to arrange desktop windows, or clipboard managers, try switching them off"
didn't help

I'll try the rest, but isn't it very U-he/Live specific if it only occurs with (some) U-He plugins, in Live?

I just tried to load many of my vsts in Live 10 - none of them is giving me the same slow response as the Repros.

no help?

Return to “u-he”