Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

nice, i will hive it a shot

Installed perfectly :)

I kepts my own user presets backed up first, deleted the whole hive folder en replaced it by the new one. Works perfect.

Don't actually know how these wavetables work and what they're used for, but I tried some and these sound very warm and looks like theres much potential to experiment with later on for me.
(I'm still in the beginner level of using this synth).

A few presets didn't seem to work "file missing" error, but that doesn't matter, as this huge upgrade is all a bonus for me :)

Thanks a lot Urs!
:tu:
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 pm
The editor and manipulation tools in Serum allow you to create and edit wavetables that can be used in both synths, so that is a plus.
It would be awesome to have an editor like this also inside Hive. Then there would be no need to use external software or a code script to create own custom wavetables.

Mastrcode wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:38 pm
tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 pm
The editor and manipulation tools in Serum allow you to create and edit wavetables that can be used in both synths, so that is a plus.
It would be awesome to have an editor like this also inside Hive. Then there would be no need to use external software or a code script to create own custom wavetables.
But then Hive is just like the other WT synths and isn't offering something unique. One of the best things about Hive's WT engine is that it is simple, streamlined and focused, adding an editor in just because, would just clutter the interface and detract from that simplified workflow.
Always Read the Manual!

agreed

Adding an editor also means that the wavetables have to be stored in the preset.

But as I always say, as cool as editors are, they are not useful for creating smoothly sweeping wavetables. You need to either convert samples somehow or create them algorithmically. If you want smooth transitions over 100 frames, you'll never "paint" them one-by-one. And if you do, you're going to be much faster in our scripting language. You can even learn the whole .uhm scripting language before you finish your first self-painted-100-frame-smoothly-sweeping wavetable.

but we don't need 100-frame-smoothly-sweeping because you have such a nice crossfading interpolation algorithm built in

Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm but we don't need 100-frame-smoothly-sweeping because you have such a nice crossfading interpolation algorithm built in
Yeah, but, you know... while that's better than nothing, it's really just a luxury version of crossfading. I much, much, muchly prefer spectacular, yet smooth movement in the spectrum.

Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm but we don't need 100-frame-smoothly-sweeping because you have such a nice crossfading interpolation algorithm built in
Then there is Zebra... draw wavetables there and then export them to Hive. :D

I was late to the 1.2 update but wow!!!
Thank you so much for such an amazing boost!!
The wave tables sound incredible & I agree with some of the earlier posters - I swear the rest of the synth sounds better than ever too.

It’s taken a fun cool synth that felt a little overshadowed by its siblings
and boosted it to equally heavyweight status at the U-he round table.

Don’t get me wrong- it always did it’s thing well and I’ve always enjoyed the sounds but now it’s so much more inspiring. I love it & can’t get enough of it 😁

Well done & big thanks again 🥰

Thank you :)

I just bought Hive, and the Plugmon skin last night which looks so sick. Well, after buying Repro, and loving that, I find that Hive sound quality is excellent. Plugmons skin makes a lot of the features in Hive very easy to access, and understand. I really like Hive's take on wavetables. Serum is sort of the reigning king if you do lots of Drum and Bass music, but I think Hive is very capable in that arena as well. What I like most is the quality of the oscillators and wavetables. They just sound excellent. How do you even come out with a Hive 2? I think its very much feature packed already.

vertibration wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 amHow do you even come out with a Hive 2? I think its very much feature packed already.
It looks feature packed, but it has often been criticised for being a tad too simple for many. The addition of wavetable synthesis has fueled this even more, probably because modern WT synths like Serum and Pigments typically also feature an array of complex modulations.

I think what we're adding in 2.0 might take "less is more" to quite another level in this respect. It'll add options to go complex, but the new stuff is foremost useful to add expression. Most importantly, it does not pose danger to "getting lost in options". It promotes quick and solid results. It promotes intention as well as happy accidents. It'll be fun to explore :)

Urs wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:47 pm
vertibration wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 amHow do you even come out with a Hive 2? I think its very much feature packed already.
It looks feature packed, but it has often been criticised for being a tad too simple for many. The addition of wavetable synthesis has fueled this even more, probably because modern WT synths like Serum and Pigments typically also feature an array of complex modulations.

I think what we're adding in 2.0 might take "less is more" to quite another level in this respect. It'll add options to go complex, but the new stuff is foremost useful to add expression. Most importantly, it does not pose danger to "getting lost in options". It promotes quick and solid results. It promotes intention as well as happy accidents. It'll be fun to explore :)
I just want to add that I dig the style of Plugmons UI's. Maybe you can ask him to design a skin for Hive 2?

vertibration wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:55 pmMaybe you can ask him to design a skin for Hive 2?
Maybe we already did :clown:

Return to “u-he”