Hive 1.2 - free update - adds wavetables and more

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

MorpherX wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm Feature Request for a Hive 2.xy:

1. 2 more multistage LFOs or simple MSEG with 16 fixed steps on x and 12 on y with 8 points which are variable and have a Loop between 2 points.

2. Loading of own single cycles in the SubOsc 1 and 2

3. Comp- and Formant-Filter

Thats all !
Number 1:
Urs wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:48 am What we do in Hive is very different.

Now, as for MSEGs and stuff. The thing I learned from Eurorack is that one can combine simple sources and extract complex signals and rhythms. "Rhythm extraction" is actually a thing, like, when you observe two out-of-sync sources and create a third signal based on whether which of those sources is higher or lower. That's just one example, there are plenty more. For Hive, I have a novel module in mind which lets people extract multiple complex modulation signals out of just 8 individual steps. It's going to look like a baby version of the stepped modulation sources in Spire and Massive, but IMHO it'll be endlessly more powerful than those. It'll surpass those "90 different shapes" easily without overwhelming people, and with options to bend them in realtime.
There are quite a few Hive related threads at the moment and if you care to go through them you will find some more information from Urs about plans for Buchla/West-Coast style loopable AD generators. I enquired myself about additional LFO mod sources for v2 and that was the response I got.
Always Read the Manual!

MorpherX wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:49 pmIf you always have to read a manual before using a VSTi than sonething is wrong with that VSTi because it normally has to selfexplandory, at least in my view.
Well that's a wrong view. There's always useful stuff that can be found in a well-written manual. Howard always likes to put tips and tricks in u-he manuals he writes. This is not something that you can get in a self-explanatory way directly from a plugin's interface. So, I agree with Howard, RTFM. :smack:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:12 pm
lengro wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:57 pmFor me, the weakest area in Hive compared to the others, are the limited selection of filters, i.e. only one high-pass filter.
Technically, each engine has it's own filters so there's 3 high-pass filters. 6 total filter types per engine, times 3 engines, equals 18 total filters. Not bad for a single synth.
Yes, but switching engine while working on a patch is a global change, so if I'm happy with osc1->filter1 but not with osc2->filter2, changing engine may fix the latter but mess up the former.

Do you want to be able to change the slope of the HP filter (e.g. 6, 12, 24db)? Or do you want to be able to use the HP filters in addition to the low pass filters? What are the scenarios you're running into where you're thinking, this HP filter isn't cutting it I need another one or another option?
I would like the possibility to change the slope independently of each high-pass filter when using them in parallel, so changing one filter only affects the oscillators assigned.

Hehehe, the thing about Hive originally was its low CPU footprint. The filters ( 2 x Stereo = 4 ) are completely parallelized using the SIMD instruction set of the CPU (SSE...). This brings down the CPU cost for the filters below 40% compared to traditional programming. If we make Hive's filter flavours (Normal/Clean/Dirty) available individually for each filter, we would pretty much completely lose those 60+% in CPU savings.

Don't get me wrong - it's certainly possible. I'm just reluctant to go there right now. I see a better chance to evaluate this issue once/if/when we think about additional "Engines" with new flavours.

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:04 pm Don't get me wrong - it's certainly possible. I'm just reluctant to go there right now. I see a better chance to evaluate this issue once/if/when we think about additional "Engines" with new flavours.
That is ok, as long as you in the meantime add a slope-parameter to the .uhm-filters :D

Or another great Urs .uhm tutorial demonstrating, how to build your own filters, like you did in the Karplus-Strong tutorial with the 6dB lowpass filter :)

Urs wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:55 pm
21hertz wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:19 pmIs this something that can be fixed or is it just some "bad" presets?
It's, probably intentional, but you can fix it by lowering Mod1 Attack to 0. It's just a very fast envelope movement at the beginning of each note.

Hive can be very clicky when envelope Attacks are too short (they go down to 0 samples), and as seen in this case also when they are just that tiny bit too long :)
EDIT: I discovered that the same thing happens on other VST Instruments as well (Steinbergs Retrologue). I'm going crazy here... Any idea what is causing this?
I did buy a new audio interface recently, a RME Digiface USB.

I installed Hive v1.1 side-by-side with v1.2 but it seems to be the same. This is what a pure square wave sounds like just passing the filter. No modulation going on at all ( https://ufile.io/wg65p ).
No FX in Cubase or in Hive. Only thing I turned on the compressor in Hive just to get a higher volume of the clicks so it easier to spot. The click sounds like it's BPM synced.

And it's reproducable for me:
1. Select Init patch.
2. Solo SUB1 oscillator.
3. Turn up the Semitone to +12 or +24 and play a tone on a high octave (it becomes easier to hear that way).
4. There is clearly a "BPM-synced" glitch/click.
Last edited by 21hertz on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

on laptop speakers, I don't hear any clicks in your audio file... also can't see anything wrong in the spectrum...?

Sorry for taking your time. It's definitly not Hive!

Damn... I have all night booked for a session. I'm in the studio atm (acoustically treated, almost flat response 18Hz-20kHz).

I just took a listen on headphones on another computer, could not hear anything wrong. I'm going crazy over this. As you say, nothing on spectrum analyzer afaics, imported the wav-file and pitched it down. Click is now still in the same BPM. So.. it must be a DAW/audiocard/playback/Windows thing. I'll switch USB port and all that... and see what happens. I mean.. it's a RME card. Never had problems before. But

EDIT: Found the problem. It's a bit hilarious. Seems like a Behringer ADAT which is connected to the RME card is acting screwed up/broken. Connected the RME outputs directly = No problems.
I'll leave this thread alone now regarding this. Back to the wonders of Hive now. :)

21hertz wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:54 pm Sorry for taking your time. It's definitly not Hive!
:phew:

Sorry to hear about your problem. Wish I could help, but this is beyond my experience. Hope you get it fixed in time!

- U

Edit: Glad you solved it! Maybe a clock/synch problem?

hm, thinking of selling Serum and buying Hive now that it has Wavetables... Thoughts?

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:00 pm Thoughts?
Demo and decide. :)

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:03 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:00 pm Thoughts?
Demo and decide. :)
oh. Right! :D will do that now. I'm already leaning towards "yes" since when i bought Repro-5 i barely use any other synths, just because its sounds so damn good.

edit:
Been giving it a ride... even imported some WTs from Serum.

It's much more u-he than serum (duh), I just can't force it to be as nasty and disgusting as Serum.

On the other hand, it also doesn't have that annoying "edgy EDM" overtone that almost everything coming out of Serum has, while retaining a very specific wavetable sound.
It's probably the presets where it's the weakest right now.

Hehehe, you can try two things:

- use Hive Wavetables in "Switch" mode
- add OTT behind Hive, as Serum has something like it built in (its Compressor has a Multiband mode)

But then of course, yes, Serum has complex modulation sources. Hive does not have those. Yet.

Urs wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:24 am Hehehe, you can try two things:

- use Hive Wavetables in "Switch" mode
- add OTT behind Hive, as Serum has something like it built in (its Compressor has a Multiband mode)

But then of course, yes, Serum has complex modulation sources. Hive does not have those. Yet.
Two days ago Mr. Steve from Xfer wrote in his forum a comment in a discussion about if Serum is harsh or not. He wrote that this intented and realised by an extreme multiband compressor.

Here a part of his statement:
".....I think there are couple reasons Serum has this reputation. Serum has the built-in multiband compressor which is extreme by intent - anyone surfing factory presets to judge a synths character would certainly say Serum sounds more edgy and harsh. Also I have some pretty aggressive friends, so that compressor gets a lot of use / Serum factory content gets a little edgy......)

We have indeed thought about adding a multiband compressor. But dismissed it for various reasons a few years ago. Not sure if we should revisit the idea.

(I disagree with his notion that criticism on Serum is mostly due to people with ties to other companies. I think that if a developer intentionally adds controversial features, he reaps what he sows. Adding a multiband compressor whatsoever to puposefully create "bricked output" may make a single instance sound great on its own, but may for most purposes - other than genres which thrive on this - make the synth more difficult to arrange/mix.)

Return to “u-he”