Dune 3 vs. Hive 2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If two different designers wanted to create a synth that was very easy to use and that was also influenced by Sylenth1. It’s very probable that they may reach similar conclusions in regards to layout. But crucially the sound is very different, as I believe SM ONE is based on Synthmaster.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:43 pm I remember thinking at the time "I wonder if U-He has grounds for legal action because SM One is so similar".

I'm not sure if "blatant rip off" is accurate but I don't think it's too far off..... :hihi:
I probably run into Bulent twice a year. There's no need to even think about "legal anything" :lol: :lol: :lol:

v1o wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:44 pm If two different designers wanted to create a synth that was very easy to use and that was also influenced by Sylenth1. It’s very probable that they may reach similar conclusions in regards to layout. But crucially the sound is very different, as I believe SM ONE is based on Synthmaster.
Yeah, but you've got to find another pair of synths that look so similar.
It's no coincidence. SM One is definitely a homage to Hive. I'm unsure if Bulent even opened Sylenth for comparison.

KV331 made a Behringer-style move and offer SM One up 5 times cheaper (depending on sale). I don't blame them, since they used their one Synthmaster 2.x as a donor. But there is little doubt where they got their inspiration.

Sound wise the SM One's palette is wider, but I always get that feeling like it's a beta. Overall it ok, sound is top notch, but a little quirky and slightly buggy (had and having fair share of crashes here and there).

Hive feels like a solid product, shame we didn't gel as its sound was not to my taste. I want to own something of U-He to make use of it.

Urs wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:58 pm I probably run into Bulent twice a year. There's no need to even think about "legal anything" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ever wanted to punch him in the nose ? Be honest....... :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 pm
Urs wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:58 pm I probably run into Bulent twice a year. There's no need to even think about "legal anything" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ever wanted to punch him in the nose ? Be honest....... :P
Hahaha, no, I don't have phantasies involving physical force (also no other phantasies involving Bulent, should you wish to presume).

Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:46 am
Urs wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 am
Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 am But i'm still interested. I have Zebra 2 (and will upgrade to Zebra 3, when it will come) and Dune 2, aslo Ana 2. Do i need Hive in this case?
I like U-He synths very much, but i don't want overlapping synths.
Depends on what you want. If you see the value of having "less is more", you could have a look at Hive. Otherwise I think generally you're pretty well covered. As the new features in Hive are a milestone towards Zebra3 development, I guess it's safe to say that what sets Hive apart is the workflow, not the features (and the presets, if that counts as a factor)
Thanks, Urs!
I don't quite understand the concept the less is more. I would want to see how this concept will be implemented in Hive 2. All u-he plugins are top notch. And for me it is very tempting to have it all :hihi:
Hive is nearly a one page GUI. It is very fast and fluid to work with. Less is more means less is a feature in its own right. Simplicity has its own power. Now with the Uhm scripts, Hive 1.2 adds something sonically that none of your other synths have.

Whether you need that, you have to decide. :tu:

Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:46 am Thanks, Urs!
I don't quite understand the concept the less is more. I would want to see how this concept will be implemented in Hive 2. All u-he plugins are top notch. And for me it is very tempting to have it all :hihi:
Besides one-page GUI, HIVE's "engine" switch is what I think is of great help. Only with a single click, it can switch envelope curves, detune curves and filter models, bringing you very carefully tuned 3 different tastes.

If I want to get the same result in Zebra, I'd have to adjust many many knobs, or even worse, I get lost and cannot achieve right sound.
Sometimes Zebra feels to me too vast. Hive on the other hand, super sound and super fast.
ImageMONA, the new skin for DIVA is released! | Follow me on Twitter.

Hive isnt really 'one page' as you have tabs for MM etc at the bottom and more in the hexagon for arp/seq etc etc

AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:27 pm Hive isnt really 'one page' as you have tabs for MM etc at the bottom and more in the hexagon for arp/seq etc etc
Well spotted!

Dune 2/Dune 3 is most cpu efficient synth. When compared it uses less CPU than sylenth1 with exact same settings.

I would prefer hive's drag and drop modulation system. It's good but not the best like Serum has. Hive has one of the best patch browser. Dune 3 completely ignored browser updates.

Who said SM1 copied Hive 1:1? They also added wavetables which was a nice thought and now Hive is going for that idea too.

Urs wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:27 pm Hive isnt really 'one page' as you have tabs for MM etc at the bottom and more in the hexagon for arp/seq etc etc
Well spotted!
i took off the rose tinted glasses

a9k1tp wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:10 pm
Who said SM1 copied Hive 1:1? They also added wavetables which was a nice thought and now Hive is going for that idea too.
Yeah, they also added FM, PM, AM and probably RM, if I’m not mistaken.
As well as some oscillator fx. So more sounds.
However, that doesn’t make it less of a UI appropriation.

Of course... however, in practice it often does not require much tabbing at all. For lots of sounds the Mod Matrix page 1 is sufficient. Also, only some sounds use the Arp/Seq.

AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 pm
Urs wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 pm
Well spotted!
i took off the rose tinted glasses
you still left on the grey tinted ones though :hihi:

Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:46 am I don't quite understand the concept the less is more.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/less_is_more

Return to “u-he”