Dune 3 vs. Hive 2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 am
Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 am But i'm still interested. I have Zebra 2 (and will upgrade to Zebra 3, when it will come) and Dune 2, aslo Ana 2. Do i need Hive in this case?
I like U-He synths very much, but i don't want overlapping synths.
Depends on what you want. If you see the value of having "less is more", you could have a look at Hive. Otherwise I think generally you're pretty well covered. As the new features in Hive are a milestone towards Zebra3 development, I guess it's safe to say that what sets Hive apart is the workflow, not the features (and the presets, if that counts as a factor)
Thanks, Urs!
I don't quite understand the concept the less is more. I would want to see how this concept will be implemented in Hive 2. All u-he plugins are top notch. And for me it is very tempting to have it all :hihi:

Elektronisch wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:22 am
Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 am But i'm still interested. I have Zebra 2 (and will upgrade to Zebra 3, when it will come) and Dune 2, aslo Ana 2. Do i need Hive in this case?
Depends on what you want. If you see the value of having "less is more", you could have a look at Hive. Otherwise I think generally you're pretty well covered. As the new features in Hive are a milestone towards Zebra3 development, I guess it's safe to say that what sets Hive apart is the workflow, not the features (and the presets, if that counts as a factor)
I have Dune 2, Zebra (and all uhe synths) and Hive does sound also different (in a very positive way) then those synths. It does sound more organic and overal tone is beefier, aswel cleaner. Its hard to compare really to anything but for me it sometimes reminds Virus, System 8, Jupiter 8 (roland cloud), Waves Element 2, Repro 5, Bazille because those so sound clean, beefy, organic, punchy Also i use Hive the most from all Uhe synths.
I understand. All synths sound different. Each has their taste. I mean Dune 2 and Hive are capable in cinematic and EDM stuff. But if client will ask me as arranger to make some EDM, will Hive add to my arsenal something or not?

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:43 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:32 pm Hey I look at it this way. Hive must be a great synth because another developer copied it nearly 1:1 :lol:
I guess Richard had the same idea as we did: Add WT to an already great synth. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think the concept of Dune has changed otherwise, and neither has Hive's.
No you've got it wrong. I'm not talking about DUNE which is not a copy of Hive.

I'm talking about the other developer's plugin that has nearly the same layout and feature set as Hive and came after Hive. :wink:

I thought it was obvious what plugin I was talking about but I guess not....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

e@rs wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:32 pm Hey I look at it this way. Hive must be a great synth because another developer copied it nearly 1:1 :lol:
KV331 SM One?
I didn't want to name the plugin but it is pretty obvious..... :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I DO get the concept less is more (or... simplicity instead of feature bloat). What i wondered though is how maths and scripting fit into this concept. That's all i wanted to say with my first post in this thread. Didn't want to troll u-he or Hive, actually, i didn't even realize this post was in the u-he forum, as i rarely check before posting. Anyway, i get that it's a u-he synth, so, it's a bit different to, say, the target audience of Sylenth1 or Spire. I'd be very curious to see some usage metrics though, and how many people actually use the uhm file scripting. I'd dare a guess, but then i'd probably make myself unpopular again. :P

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 pm
e@rs wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm
KV331 SM One?
I didn't want to name the plugin but it is pretty obvious..... :hihi:
I always thought SM One was designed after Sylenth1. :o

Have you tried SM One ? Try it then come back..... :wink:

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:31 pm
Urs wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:43 pm
I guess Richard had the same idea as we did: Add WT to an already great synth. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think the concept of Dune has changed otherwise, and neither has Hive's.
No you've got it wrong. I'm not talking about DUNE which is not a copy of Hive.

I'm talking about the other developer's plugin that has nearly the same layout and feature set as Hive and came after Hive. :wink:

I thought it was obvious what plugin I was talking about but I guess not....... :shrug:
Yeah, hehehe, I kind of had a confused moment there, but I think it's a valid answer to a different question.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm Have you tried SM One ? Try it then come back..... :wink:
Well, Hive's layout is pretty similar to Sylenth1's. And where in your opinion would the "ONE" in the name hail from?

chk071 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 pmWhat i wondered though is how maths and scripting fit into this concept.
Scripted wavetables don't require large UI changes. They obviously don't change the concept of Hive.

Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm
I have Dune 2, Zebra (and all uhe synths) and Hive does sound also different (in a very positive way) then those synths. It does sound more organic and overal tone is beefier, aswel cleaner. Its hard to compare really to anything but for me it sometimes reminds Virus, System 8, Jupiter 8 (roland cloud), Waves Element 2, Repro 5, Bazille because those so sound clean, beefy, organic, punchy Also i use Hive the most from all Uhe synths.
I understand. All synths sound different. Each has their taste. I mean Dune 2 and Hive are capable in cinematic and EDM stuff. But if client will ask me as arranger to make some EDM, will Hive add to my arsenal something or not?
Its not an easy answer, because due to how one and another sounds, certain type of sounds can sound drasticly different therefore i would say yes, but for you? demo, U-he Synth demos are pretty much unlimited feature wise. But if you are a beginner (i suspect you are otherwise you wouldnt ask people's opinion) i would say its not really worth to get another synth because Zebra 2 and Dune 2 is enough to cover majority if not all "ground" if you look at a sound as a type of sound "leads, bass, textures ect"
Last edited by Elektronisch on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:09 pm
Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm Have you tried SM One ? Try it then come back..... :wink:
Well, Hive's layout is pretty similar to Sylenth1's. And where in your opinion would the "ONE" in the name hail from?
Again have you tried SM One ? The layout is suspiciously like that of Hive. I remember Urs even making a restrained comment about it at the time. :wink:

The word "ONE" in the name could just as well mean Synth 1 instead of Sylenth 1 so it has nothing to do with anything....

Elektronisch wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:20 pm
Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm
Its not an easy answer, because due to how one and another sounds, certain type of sounds can sound drasticly different therefore i would say yes, but for you? demo, U-he Synth demos are pretty much unlimited feature wise. But if you are a beginner (i suspect you are otherwise you wouldnt ask people's opinion) i would say its not really worth to get another synth because Zebra 2 and Dune 2 is enough to cover majority if not all "ground" if you look at a sound as a type of sound "leads, bass, textures ect"
I have demo, but still have doubts if i need it. Thanks for your point!

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:22 pmI remember Urs even making a restrained comment about it at the time.
Hehehe, when I met Bulent at one of the shows I could hardly swallow a chuckle when I pointed at SM One and said something like "this looks somewhat familiar", the exact wording eludes me :clown:

I remember thinking at the time "I wonder if U-He has grounds for legal action because SM One is so similar".

I'm not sure if "blatant rip off" is accurate but I don't think it's too far off..... :hihi:

Return to “u-he”