Dune 3 vs. Hive 2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:32 pm Hey I look at it this way. Hive must be a great synth because another developer copied it nearly 1:1 :lol:
KV331 SM One?

Urs wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:43 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:32 pm Hey I look at it this way. Hive must be a great synth because another developer copied it nearly 1:1 :lol:
I guess Richard had the same idea as we did: Add WT to an already great synth. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think the concept of Dune has changed otherwise, and neither has Hive's.
Dune has used wavetables since v1

Thanks for sharing Urs! Love the vision, and there is no other company I really think of this way.

U-he balances what users want with an overall vision and the result is magic. A company like Apple etc consistently misses the mark because they want to drive users in a specific direction that benefits the corporation. The big corporations take us for a ride :borg: , while with with U-he I love the journey :phones: . Ultimately, I'm able to make music my way with U-he products and what's better than that?

i think Hive is more blue, where Dune is more black...

There are a lot of great wavetable based synths , but I think most people will agree that UHE synths benefit from great interactive support, user interaction (open betas etc) and free high quality updates :clap:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:07 pm There are a lot of great wavetable based synths , but I think most people will agree that UHE synths benefit from great interactive support, user interaction (open betas etc) and free high quality updates :clap:
1000%
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

There is a place for both Hive and Dune3 in my audio arsenal (and I also have Serum, Sylenth, Spire, Synthmaster, and many more). They both have excellent DSP programming and sound great. Their design philosophies certainly differ as Urs pointed out. Hive tends to be more of an improvement of the Sylenth paradigm, while Dune 3 is somewhere between Serum, Spire, and Zebra. What I like about Dune 3 is the choice of three synthesis types (VA/WT/FM), the dual filters with effects, the differential unison engine with 8 layers, the dual arps with MIDI import, the dual effects busses, the 3 LFOs and 4 MSEGS, and the wavetable editor that looks to be quite an omage to the one in Serum. I am impressed with both synths and I think competition is always a good thing because it increases innovation.

tony10000 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 pm There is a place for both Hive and Dune3 in my audio arsenal (and I also have Serum, Sylenth, Spire, Synthmaster, and many more). They both have excellent DSP programming and sound great. Their design philosophies certainly differ as Urs pointed out. Hive tends to be more of an improvement of the Sylenth paradigm, while Dune 3 is somewhere between Serum, Spire, and Zebra. What I like about Dune 3 is the choice of three synthesis types (VA/WT/FM), the dual filters with effects, the differential unison engine with 8 layers, the dual arps with MIDI import, the dual effects busses, the 3 LFOs and 4 MSEGS, and the wavetable editor that looks to be quite an omage to the one in Serum. I am impressed with both synths and I think competition is always a good thing because it increases innovation.
And this is the u-he forum and not the place to be promoting Dune 3 (which sounds like an excellent synth). Please respect that.

I am not promoting a competitor per se. I am just outlining some of the similarities and the differences of the synths. From what I have observed previously, these types of threads are commonplace on this forum.

tony10000 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:06 pm I am not promoting a competitor per se. I am just outlining some of the similarities and the differences of the synths. From what I have observed previously, these types of threads are commonplace on this forum.
You have not mentioned anything about Hive, just promoting the features of Dune 3. Please stop trolling.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:59 pm
tony10000 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:06 pm I am not promoting a competitor per se. I am just outlining some of the similarities and the differences of the synths. From what I have observed previously, these types of threads are commonplace on this forum.
You have not mentioned anything about Hive, just promoting the features of Dune 3. Please stop trolling.
I am not trolling. I am a u-he customer and own most of their synths (Zebra, ZebraHZ, Ace, Repro, Hive, and Bazille).

I was just mentioning features that I liked in Dune 3. Perhaps some of them can be incorporated into future versions of Hive or Zebra.

If the moderators of the forum feel that I am off base, then feel free to lock the thread.

And by the way, I will be among the first in line to buy Hive 2 whenever it arrives. BUY HIVE! BUY u-he! Viva la Urs and team!

But i'm still interested. I have Zebra 2 (and will upgrade to Zebra 3, when it will come) and Dune 2, aslo Ana 2. Do i need Hive in this case?
I like U-He synths very much, but i don't want overlapping synths.

Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 am But i'm still interested. I have Zebra 2 (and will upgrade to Zebra 3, when it will come) and Dune 2, aslo Ana 2. Do i need Hive in this case?
Depends on what you want. If you see the value of having "less is more", you could have a look at Hive. Otherwise I think generally you're pretty well covered. As the new features in Hive are a milestone towards Zebra3 development, I guess it's safe to say that what sets Hive apart is the workflow, not the features (and the presets, if that counts as a factor)

Urs wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 am
Stan Navi wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 am But i'm still interested. I have Zebra 2 (and will upgrade to Zebra 3, when it will come) and Dune 2, aslo Ana 2. Do i need Hive in this case?
Depends on what you want. If you see the value of having "less is more", you could have a look at Hive. Otherwise I think generally you're pretty well covered. As the new features in Hive are a milestone towards Zebra3 development, I guess it's safe to say that what sets Hive apart is the workflow, not the features (and the presets, if that counts as a factor)
I have Dune 2, Zebra (and all uhe synths) and Hive does sound also different (in a very positive way) then those synths. It does sound more organic and overal tone is beefier, aswel cleaner. Its hard to compare really to anything but for me it sometimes reminds Virus, System 8, Jupiter 8 (roland cloud), Waves Element 2, Repro 5, Bazille because those so sound clean, beefy, organic, punchy Also i use Hive the most from all Uhe synths.

Return to “u-he”