Twangström Public Beta (Update: rev 8131)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sure, what we provide here follows the usual studio effects approach where dry/wet is a blend control. It also allows for simplicity, since it's just one dial instead of two.
When, in contrast, a guitar amp has a knob to mix-in an additional reverb part, it is - historically speaking - mainly a manufacturing decision, since adding a signal can be achieved more easily, and one should keep in mind those designs originate from the 60s. Parts availability and consistency/tolerances played a major role then, so things had to be simple. LOG tapered pots, btw., are never logarithmic, in fact they have just two linear regions overlapping.

Therefore, our choice was mainly to overcome real-world restrictions, not copy them blindly. I get your point of mxing in the wet signal without decreasing the dry signal, but in a DAW project there's always a chance that signals become too hot this way. A tube amp gracefully limits the signal, and we could rely on the soft-clip function entirely. But I'm not sure that would work with the majority of users and use cases.
For us it's never easy to foresee and outweigh these things, and sometimes we can only wait and gather feedback over time and see how many people want - or definitely need - a certain feature. Sometimes, a feature that some claim as mandatory plays tricks on a number of others or raises eyebrows, and we can easily spot that through support emails.

So, we keep that in mind and remain open to it, but we won't hastily turn thing upside down without being 100% sure it is the right thing.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Great job on this product, u-he team. I've bought it and am looking forward to the final release.

Hi Sascha,
FWIW, The reason I suggested a switched function was to minimize the proposition of changing the layout. In other words, the single mix knob can work for both mix functions, a small switch is added, and the different routing occurs behind the scenes.

Here is an example of how the feature could appear to users:

Here is a flow chart meant to clarify the idea:

Thank you!

[edit] nvm

Hello,

gettin a little late to the party. I waited for this plugin since it's first appearance but just discovered this thread.

Now testing it I am surprised - it also isn't mentioned here in the thread - there is no way to bypass the spring solely?
You can't use the drive and filter section alone?

I am coming here from the lovely Retroverb where you can use the unit as an envelope following style filter also.

I'm wondering if a spring length setting would be feasible (how different would it sound from spring tension? I guess it would exaggerate the time difference between arrival of low and high freqs?). Also, a dual filter mode where you can filter both input and output would be really nice. :D

Needs a Slinky mode ;)

Guys... we're not the tooth fairy... ;)
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

sascha wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:03 am Guys... we're not the tooth fairy... ;)
Oh my bad, I'll keep that in mind

What I especially loved with mechanical (DYI) spring verbs was to tamper with the spring, pluck it with my fingers, stroke it gently, overload the transducer and so on. Was not far from my first experience with a woman then ;-)
I think I remember even a commercial plugin where one can do so (with the spring) viaa knob.
Without having tried this Beta, I assume such functionalitiy isn't available here ? Or is it ?

It is - Was excited about such things on page one :)
mcbpete wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:49 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:49 pm
  • and most important: shakeable springs
Sure is .... * twangs strings like a crazy person * :D

Anyone getting crashes on loading? Tested in latest Live 10/Win10. On loading a project with Twangstroem it silently closes. Crash dump says "unhandled exception in twangstroem(x64).dll"
It's sporadic though. Next time I tried it loaded ok.

Edit: this might also be an Ableton problem, since I had it with another VST now.

I finally checked this out and I think it sounds really great and convincing! Lots of character! The modulation options ar also surprisingly useful.

Here is a little Twangström soundscape with 2 instances of ACE and one instance of Diva, each running through a seperate instance of Twangström.

https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/twangstrom-soundscape

the modulation is one of the superb things about Colour Copy too.

can't wait for Slinky Mode :P

Anyone have idea what settings to use to imitate the verb in Bazille? Since they use a similar model can't be too hard to get close.

Return to “u-he”