Zebra2 XY community project

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CinningBao wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm What do we do with the notes which are included in the patches already? Eg some of HS patches have notes written to XY4 notes.
Good question. These notes predate the info field which appeared first in Zebra 2.5 or so (whenever I added UI scaling, and undo/redo, I suppose...). Hence, it might be best to copy into the preset info when saving, and mention this when you send the batch back. Howie can then check this out.

Cool - so just copy to 'preset usage' (not description) when saving and let you guys know which patches needed it. cheers :)

Yep :)

I may have run into an issue here. It may be a general Zebra 2 thing (although I've never encountered it), but might be specific to XY pads:

I'd like to modulate the rate of a global LFO using a pad. The preset already maps the mod wheel to that global LFO. When I add the XY pad mapping, the mod wheel is effectively disabled. How does Zebra handle these sorts of scenarios?

Don't know if adding modules is permitted for this, but you could try using a MMix module with the Constant knob assigned to your XY control. Then you could use this MMix as a second controller in the mod matrix (I'm guessing the LFOG could only be controlled by the mod wheel via the matrix, right?).

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, but it just didn't seem right in this context/for this task.

cthonophonic wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 pm I'm guessing the LFOG could only be controlled by the mod wheel via the matrix, right?
That's correct.

cthonophonic wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 pm Don't know if adding modules is permitted for this, ..
I _think_ we're OK adding modules as long it doesn't affect the initial preset sound. Urs, clarification please?

CinningBao wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 pm
cthonophonic wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 pm Don't know if adding modules is permitted for this, ..
I _think_ we're OK adding modules as long it doesn't affect the initial preset sound. Urs, clarification please?
I think it's okay when done with great care. In any case, tell us and let us inspect the changes.

That said, if the ModWheel is already mapped onto something, I don't know how much sense it makes to add an XY on top. Unless of course the ModWheel also does something else. But in that case, it still does *something*, and maybe it's not necessary to work around it?

Thanks for clarifying, Urs. Here's the specific case I referenced:

My batch contains an organ sound with a rotary speaker-type modulation, which is controller by the ModWheel. It seems as though that *should* be addressed by the modulation-specific pad (i.e. #3). On the other hand, I entirely agree that this might be redundant.

As a general rule of thumb, would you rather we didn't use parameters for our XY mappings that are already modulated by the ModWheel? In certain cases, where the main, prevalent modulation (such as a rotary speaker emulation of an organ) is mapped to the ModWheel, what's mapped to XY pad #3 might end up being more subtle. Is that okay?

For organ patches I'd make XY pads mess with "the drawbars", if at all possible, and XY4 tweaking the reverb size/mix amount, if the patch uses one.

Thanks for your advice, EvilDragon :).

However, my question didn't stem from a lack of ideas. I merely wanted to make sure I'm working to U-He's specifications and requirements. That particular patch is basically finished. Only pad 3 still needs mapping.

Simon-Claudius wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 pm My batch contains an organ sound with a rotary speaker-type modulation, which is controller by the ModWheel. It seems as though that *should* be addressed by the modulation-specific pad (i.e. #3). On the other hand, I entirely agree that this might be redundant.

As a general rule of thumb, would you rather we didn't use parameters for our XY mappings that are already modulated by the ModWheel? In certain cases, where the main, prevalent modulation (such as a rotary speaker emulation of an organ) is mapped to the ModWheel, what's mapped to XY pad #3 might end up being more subtle. Is that okay?
If the mod wheel already does "rotary", then XY3 is entirely free for something completely different ;-) i.e. XY3 doesn't always have to be "Modulation".

Thanks, Howard. That's great to know.

Can't wait to hear what y'all come up with 8)

Return to “u-he”